• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Coldplay copied Joe Satriani?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
If you haven't heard guitarist Joe Satriani has filled a law suit against Coldplay for plagiarizing one of his songs.

Rock guitarist Joe Satriani has sued British band Coldplay, accusing the Grammy-nominated stars of plagiarizing one of his songs.

Satriani's copyright infringement suit, filed on Thursday in Los Angeles federal court, claims the Coldplay song "Viva La Vida" incorporates "substantial original portions" of his 2004 instrumental "If I Could Fly."
I personally think that there are too many things the same for it to just be a coincidence. The tempo of both songs are similar, they have almost identical chord progressions and very similar melodies.

I would like to hear all your opinions on this. You can hear both songs here: YouTube - Did Coldplay copy Joe Satriani?

Level 4
interesting indeed..
but the thing is that there are so many bands and songs out there that virtually everything (be it from riffs to chord progressions) could sound the same and/or similar

just as it is when Noel Galagher of Oasis accused Greenday of "stealing" the progression of his song Wonderwall as it was very similar with Boulevard of Broken Dreams, so we'll never know if they did plagiarize it, or coincidentally just came up with it..

Level 26
I agree with wugiboy because similarities =/= plagiarizing
I mean: there are so many songs already made in the history of music.
And in other areas people worked on exactly the same thing at the same time without knowing it.( for example in different sciences)

CYD

CYD

Level 4
The similarities are obvious, but that doesn't mean :
1) that the plagiarism is conscious/voluntary
2) that the whole Coldplay's song has been "composed" by Satriani.

Anyway, in font of a court, Satriani could win this case. Coldplay should play it cool and make some kind of pseudo-shameful statement etc ...

PS : the song sounds better when played by Coldplay.

Level 8
Joe Satriani should really stop this. I mean he's got to open his eyes and see that Viva la Vida is a much better composition than his If I Could Fly. A lot of bands copy songs and I personally think it isn't a big deal. I mean Stairway to Heaven was copied from a song called Taurus. And the guy that made Taurus didn't make a big deal about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.