• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Class name for an Agility Barbarian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So, for a little homecooked RPG of mine I'm making a couple of friends to tag along with my main Barbarian Hero. One is an Agility Hero, using the Demon Hunter model.

But what kind of class would an agile/nimble Barbarian be, exactly? A spellcaster Barbarian type would be easy enough to get around, just call it a Shaman, Druid or whatever, but what about an Agility Hero with that Demon Hunter theme?

Any ideas?

Level 6
Right.

Well, there's a few different tribes in this setting. The Wolf Tribe, the Crow Tribe and the Elk Tribe. The Wolf Tribe are Orcs, the Crow Tribe are Trolls and the Elk Tribe are Night Elves.

As for themes, I'd say that the three Tribes correspond roughly to the standard races of Warcraft. In fact, this setting could theoretically take place in a very remote corner of the Warcraft universe, where groups from different races of a similar bent have chosen to live in cooperative tribes, largely uninterested and unaffected by the events of the Warcraft history. Not that this is the plan, but they wouldn't differ much from the original races.

The Wolf Tribe is mainly consisted of warriors like the quintessential Barbarians (Beast Master/Blademaster-type Heroes), the Crow Tribe is mainly consisted of cunning magicians and agile warriors (Shadow Hunter-type heroes) and the Elk Tribe would be of a more druid/ranger-ish nature (Keeper of the Grove/Priestess of the Moon-type heroes).

I have the skills pretty much figured out for that Demon Hunter Hero, I just need a fitting name. He would be an unarmored (of course) speedy attacker. Sort of with a flair to his weapon use, if such a thing makes sense. Personally, I've always felt that Demon Hunters had a certain Kensai aura about them, if you'd want to put some kind of DnD-name to it, I just wouldn't call them a Kensai.

Level 39
The Wolf Tribe is mainly consisted of warriors like the quintessential Barbarians (Beast Master/Blademaster-type Heroes), the Crow Tribe is mainly consisted of cunning magicians and agile warriors (Shadow Hunter-type heroes) and the Elk Tribe would be of a more druid/ranger-ish nature (Keeper of the Grove/Priestess of the Moon-type heroes).
But this barbarian is which of these...? Sounds like Crow, but the model you want to use is a NE so it could be either.
I have the skills pretty much figured out for that Demon Hunter Hero, I just need a fitting name. He would be an unarmored (of course) speedy attacker. Sort of with a flair to his weapon use, if such a thing makes sense.
What are the skills?

Blade Magician
Dancing Edge
Agile Edge
Swiftslice(r)

Level 8
So, for a little homecooked RPG of mine I'm making a couple of friends to tag along with my main Barbarian Hero. One is an Agility Hero, using the Demon Hunter model.

But what kind of class would an agile/nimble Barbarian be, exactly? A spellcaster Barbarian type would be easy enough to get around, just call it a Shaman, Druid or whatever, but what about an Agility Hero with that Demon Hunter theme?

Any ideas?
In primitive civilisations, the number 1 profession that involves agility is hunting. You could design the kit around stealth, entrapment, and taking out single targets. That's generally how assassin type characters are designed too, but you could center the kit around hunting/tracking based playstyle to drive home the hunter part. They'd typically wield spears and ranged weapons though. Glaives are kind of a "bullshit fantasy weapon", so it's hard to track that into anything real.

Alternatively, you can just work the design around the model. I had great success creating rogue-like heroes based on WoW Combat Rogues using the Demon Hunter model.
I'd give the Demon hunter a very large amount of mana, say 50.000, and then give him a mana regen that corresponds to 10% of that, so 5000 in this case. This makes his mana bar act more or less exactly like an Energy bar.
Then, I'd use the ability "Fan of Knives" for the basis of a melee attack. I'd limit it to 1 or 2 targets, remove any missile-related part of the mechanics, change the cast animation to Attack, and have a basic "slash nearby targets" spell, to dish out the majority of his damage. CC spells work very well in this kit. I'd often go for a stun on a long cooldown. A good idea for an ultimate spell, is something akin to "Adrenaline Rush" from WoW, which dramatically increases your energy regeneration for a short amount of time, making it possible to spam spells on your opponents.
There's other spells that fit this general theme very well, and it's really fun to play an energy-based hero in a Warcraft map imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.