• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematics unwanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
This is something that has been bugging me for the past week or so.
I've not thought of it before, but there are basically no cinematic maps compared to normal ones.
Not even in the map development section. People just don't want to create them I suppose.

So, I decided to head to the map section to take a closer look at more recent cinematics. So the old golden ones like The Sect of the Holy Mother and Bloodline are not counted.

What do I see? the first 10 cinematics (sorted by date) got 3/5 by the moderator. But a few in the comments gave it even lower (2/5)

So not only are there few of them, but most of them are shit.

Thoughts? do people dislike watching them? or is it just nor inspiring to create them?

Level 21
I've also noticed this. Been a long time sice I've seen a cinmatic.
I tried to create one once but it was just too much trigger work and I lost inspiration.
Ill try again soon but the triggers are a lot and I just can think of what I want to create

Level 21
Cinematics give little to no interaction between the player and the map. They just help tell a story. Since it's hard to find good voice acting, you'll most likely be darting your eyes up and down from what's going on between units and the text below while watching. Not to mention most Warcraft 3 units lack any expression of emotion for cinematics. So why sit through something like that when you could just pop open the quest menu and read whatever lore you want between slaughtering enemies?

Cinematics are also not replayable. Once you've seen it, you've seen it. That could take a huge toll on the creator's motivation right there. And the saddest part is that a greatly made cinematic can take the same amount of effort to make as a fully playable map which can be played constantly with different variations here and there each time it's played.

Level 32
Chaosy said:
What do I see? the first 10 cinematics (sorted by date) got 3/5 by the moderator. But a few in the comments gave it even lower (2/5)

There are two 4/5s in the most recent cinematic maps. The cinematic needs to be creative or funny in order for users to find it enjoyable. You can also aim for the awe factor by implementing spectacular visuals into the map.

Last edited:
Are you talking about cinematic only maps? They have one thing in advantage compared to playable maps. People today are lazy and not always will bother to download and play the map, if they even currently have warcraft on their comp. However you are doing it wrong. Today are modern times and you have various video sites like youtube (for those who hate google like andreas asperger you have dailymotion, vimeo), you use some recording software (I had best experience with bandicam) and then you upload it on such site, so the viewer doesn't have to do all this playing process.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I would not say there is no interest in cinematic maps. But as Mechanical Man mentions, today there is YouTube and also high-quality diablo, StarCraft and wow cinematic ( if you limit to blizzard cinematic).
Compared to WC3-Cinematics they just look better and well-made.
I could imagine watching WC3-cinematic, but they should have finesse and be worthy to be watched again, for example if one adds jokes and funny situations in case they fit the cinematic's topic.
But one big problem is that those cinematics get less attention. I myself looked one time for a good cinematic on Hive, but due to their rating/their comments I didn't watched it...

The problem with cinematics is pretty much that the effort you have to put into creating one stands in no relation to the effective entertainment value you get out of it.

Creating a good cinematic can take weeks, if not months, even if it is only a couple of minutes long.

In the contrary, a tower defense or AoS style map only takes several days to make, but entertains players for weeks if not months if it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.