• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematics help for effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello. I am trying to make my first cinematic movie and am able to do basic effects thanks to tutorials i have found here. However, I would like to ask for more specific tutorials on effects, or maybe you can just tell me in responce to this thread. I am looking for how to make your hero use his/ her ability (E.g chain lightning, death coil, etc.) in the cinematics. I am also looking for how to make effects like having infernals rain from the sky, the undead blight growing, or adding only the beginning animation of the spell stay around a unit or a specific locaitons. Like the green magic circle that appears at the beginning of flame strike. ALso, how to change lighting in a map.

I'm glad to see that many map makers are determined to make their cinematics. :)

1. Well, sorry, I am bad at GUI. I only know JASS now.

Anyways, from what I remember, the correct way to make a unit cast an ability on another unit is this:
  • Cinematic
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order <Caster> to cast <ability> on <Target>
It is in the preset fields I believe for the "ability". The "caster", is the unit that will cast the spell. The "target" is the unit that the ability will be casted on.

If the spell is an instant cast (no target), then use "Issue Order with No Target" or something similar to that funciton.

If you need help with some basic triggering, here are some basic triggering tutorials:
Basic Triggering Techniques I - by Chunk
Basic Triggering Techniques II - by Chunk

For special effects, please read my special effect tutorial:
Special Effects - by Purgeandfire

2. To make undead blight, open the Terrain Palette (I believe the hotkey is "T" or "CTRL+T") then select the "blight" icon on the right side. Then you can add blight.

To make blight grow via triggers, do something like:
Code:
Environment - Change the terrain type at <Location> to Blight

Or something like that. :wink:

To make infernals rain down from the sky, preplace Infernal units on the ground, then do this:
Code:
Animation - Set <Infernal>'s animation to Birth

3. For the flame strike effect, just use:
Code:
Special Effect - Create a <Green Flame Strike Start Thingy Path> effect at <Location>

This is probably a wrong function but it is close enough.

4. To change lighting in the map, you can use something called "Fog". Fog is used to make thick fog that makes far distance stuff have a layer of colored fog. Search "FOG" or something similar for threads about it.

Another way is to use INfraNe's Light Model Creator:
http://82.170.159.98/?p=tools&id=6
You may also use ghEEd's light creator to make Omnilights and Ambient Lights:
http://82.170.159.98/?p=tools&id=7

I hope this helps!

Level 1
Thanks for the quick reply :grin:
However, i have tried the infernal thing but it doesnt work. THe Infernals are all where they are placed, and then in the middle of the movie they start doing the birth animation. Also, in the birth animation the infernal just gets small to large. It doesnt actually rain from the sky.
As for the blight, i cant find it in the terrain section when i try to make the trigger.:eek:
Also, all of these steps are to take place in triggers right?

Status
Not open for further replies.