• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Helpful tips for battle cinematics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Typcially, in any cinematic I do I would use Move To a region and just let the units whack away at each other. However, this makes it difficult to time it out properly and doesn't allow for very much control over the battle. So are there any good tutorials at controlling a battle cinematic? Dos and Donts? Methods? Techniques?

Level 2
dummy whack battle cinematic was terrible, horrible and boring.

Huh? If you're sayinjg what I think you're saying, then yes, having 2 units just kinda dumbly whacking away at each other is boring, and doesn't make for a good cinematic... Hence my request for good tips, techniques, methods specifically for doing battle cinematics...

Level 31
Huh? If you're sayinjg what I think you're saying, then yes, having 2 units just kinda dumbly whacking away at each other is boring, and doesn't make for a good cinematic...

Even if you have 100+ unit whacking one another, it was still a terrible idea.

For a good battle cinematic, you got to ensure no wait motion, a proper usage of animation and so on.

Level 2
Even if you have 100+ unit whacking one another, it was still a terrible idea.

For a good battle cinematic, you got to ensure no wait motion, a proper usage of animation and so on.

You're not really saying anything I don't know, hence this request.

A good tutorial, list of tips & techiques for making an entertaining & engaging battle cinematic...

Perhaps I should modify the request tho for verbose help. Things like "you got to ensure no wait motion" really doesn't add much inofrmation, nor teach anything. "proper usage of animation" isn't really any more helpful...

Level 31
doesn't add much inofrmation, nor teach anything

lol.. what's there to be teach about it...

ok, let me ask you 1 question rather silly.

Would you stay still till I fired a shot to you only then you start to dodge it?

as for animation, let me ask you 1 question rather silly as well.

If I stab you with a knife, would you still be able to stand still as if there is nothing happen?

it ain't that hard to figure out how they work out. there isn't anything much to be teach for the no wait motion and animation, i am sure you have watch combat movies before. :)

of course, a good battle cinematic should not rely heavily on sfx. Heavy usage of sfx instead of animation kill the quality of the work as well.

Level 28
A highly mobile camera is more a requirement than just a 'hint'.
Keep the camera moving, do not use waits as they will ruin the camera, choose your angles carefully, you can use fade in/out to quickly switch the camera's position as well.

Animate as much as you can: some models have more animations than others, but always make sure you use these animations to their full extent.

I would personally choose to preset each unit's movement, target and reaction with a simple table.
A simple example would be this:

• Actions
    • Set UnitCount = UnitCount + 1
    • Set Unit[UnitCount] = Footman 1
    • Set Target[UnitCount] = Footman 2
    • Set Attack1[UnitCount] = AttackTrigger1
    • Set Attack2[UnitCount] = AttackTrigger2
    • Set Spell1[UnitCount] = None
    • Set SpellTarget1[UnitCount] = None
    • Set Block = BlockTrigger1
    • Set Evade = EvadeTrigger1
    • Set UnitCount = UnitCount + 1
    • Set Unit[UnitCount] = Knight
    • Set Target[UnitCount] = Rifleman
    • Set Attack1[UnitCount] = AttackTrigger1
    • Set Attack2[UnitCount] = AttackTrigger3
    • Set Spell1[UnitCount] = Berserk
    • Set SpellTarget1[UnitCount] = Knight
    • Set Block = BlockTrigger2
    • Set Evade = EvadeTrigger2
Of course, this requires loads of work (and is so much easier in JASS actually).
You need to create a few triggers that will order the unit to do a fully-animated attack/block/spell/evade/anything else you can imagine.

Then you have to create a trigger that will 'filter' the unit's orders: every X seconds (you can also define this in the simple table, didn't think of that a few seconds ago), give the unit an X% chance to do attack 1, Y% for attack 2, etc...
This way, the unit will not always do the same thing over and over again, looks a bit smarter and is way more animated than randomly bashing enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.