• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Cinematic Contest #2 -- IDEAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm probably going to host another Cinematic Contest. So I just need some ideas. Please add some so I can view them and consider or actually even use one, hopefully. I will say who thought of the idea in the thread. There is no prize or anything, this is just ideas.

For the Cinematic Contest #2, there will be prizes, a reasonable due date, and the ending will be decided by a public poll, after all, cinematics are made for entertainment so the audience will decide who wins.

This way, it is more fair.

Please don't spam this thread, all I need is ideas for the next theme.

Thanks!

In the end it will be up to you, Purge.

The "humor" theme was fairly successful: you could go with another generic theme like that or try to tighten it up to a specific event in Warcraft history.

Yea, I don't want it to be too specific otherwise less people will actually join, possibly. It will limit the thousands of ideas possible.

I think I acually might be able to join this time! Yay! :cute:
I dont have ideas right now, I might think of some soon...

Lol. I'm glad you're happy about it. Thanks, for any ideas thrown at me, I'll take it into consideration. Unless it makes me do this:
:ugly:

Hopefully it won't. :]

---

Thanks for your support peoplz.

Level 24
Me and wolve were discussing another cinematic contest a while ago. One idea was that we take Mini-Mes template idea from the Mini TD contest, and have a basic terrain, with maybe a few basic triggers and such to start the creator off, and get people to make a cinematic out of it.

But yea, I agree with ragingspeedhorn that we should aim to get short but good entries.

Level 16
How about "rivalry" as a theme. There would be many possibilities, but the main point would be that there are two persons, rivals, competing. It could be in a battle, sport, pie eating, anything :p. The lenght should be limited, lets say 4 minutes max.

Level 19
If it's four minutes max I might be able to pull it off even though I have studies now. A 20 minute cinematic is out of the guestion for me. Depends on the theme can I make something. Maybe a drama cinematic.

Level 32
The lenght should be limited, lets say 4 minutes max.
It will definetly not be another long cinematic, the next one will evolve around a shorter and more "action packed" theme somehow where the emphasis will be upon a lot of detail but not that long a cinematic.
Agreed, guys. Imposing a time limitation would:
  1. Level the playing field for all participants: no one could get extra points for a cinematic that goes onandonandonandon...

2. Promote quality work: with limited time, each entry should have a lot of "bang for the buck."
Any theme requiring the creation of an action-packed battle scene would probably be fairly popular.

Oh boy, here I go! [Wow, everyone here has a lot of rep xD]

It would be nice if it was a bit shorter cinematic this time but with more focus on making it look really good.

This was something Wc3c did with their first Cinematic Contest where it was a 2 minute hero battle. I think we should try something in the same style, but perhaps not exactly a "hero battle". :smile:

Yes, that is definitely a sure thing. Which one would you prefer, 4 minutes or 5 minutes as the limit? Or is that too long/short. Really, many masterpieces can be made with those minutes.

The Spirit of Vengeance, TheGreatNoob's Fury... Awesome.

Me and wolve were discussing another cinematic contest a while ago. One idea was that we take Mini-Mes template idea from the Mini TD contest, and have a basic terrain, with maybe a few basic triggers and such to start the creator off, and get people to make a cinematic out of it.

But yea, I agree with ragingspeedhorn that we should aim to get short but good entries.

Hum. Sounds kind of good. I don't think I should make a template though due to size and tileset specifics, but I can always create template triggers.

How about "rivalry" as a theme. There would be many possibilities, but the main point would be that there are two persons, rivals, competing. It could be in a battle, sport, pie eating, anything :p. The lenght should be limited, lets say 4 minutes max.

Too close to revenge IMO... 4 sounds good, but 5 does too. :wink:

Dunno, sounds too close to the "revenge" theme that blizz had a while back.
-VGsatomi

Yea, same here.

I like the "rivalry" thing though it is somehow close to the "revenge" theme. But we could specify it a bit more perhaps in some way.

Yes, but specifying, of course, will lead to a very less vague theme, and no one would have any creative ideas/no one would enter.

If it's four minutes max I might be able to pull it off even though I have studies now. A 20 minute cinematic is out of the guestion for me. Depends on the theme can I make something. Maybe a drama cinematic.

Cool. Remember, 20 minutes was just the max. Not how long it was supposed to be or it wasn't what I preferred either. Hm... I was mainly thinking that most of these stuff would be battles because 4 minutes it kind of small for drama.

It will definetly not be another long cinematic, the next one will evolve around a shorter and more "action packed" theme somehow where the emphasis will be upon a lot of detail but not that long a cinematic.

Yup, it won't be. Yea, that is what I think it should be. "action packed"

Agreed, guys. Imposing a time limitation would:
  1. Level the playing field for all participants: no one could get extra points for a cinematic that goes onandonandonandon...
  2. Promote quality work: with limited time, each entry should have a lot of "bang for the buck."
Any theme requiring the creation of an action-packed battle scene would probably be fairly popular.

1. Yup!
2. Yea, then people will have more time to make those minutes perfect instead of worrying about 20 minutes being perfect. :cute:

Yea, I love watching battles. Rofl... I wish someone would make a cinematic contest #3 so I could join. Maybe I'll make a request to someone and give a template and layout and BBCode and everything. But that is something for the third one. (Yes, I do intend on continuing these series for quite a while, the cinematic spirit has really gone down ever since around 2005-2006 when the huge cinematic projects were up)

EDIT:

@Wolve:
What is Jaako's icon a picture of? Sorry, I can't interpret what it is... But it looks nice.

It's a dwarf sitting on a ice throne just like in my preview screen. So are you saying the whole cinematic should be a battle?

Oh, know I see it. Awesome.

Anyways, I didn't say that. It is just that 4 minute dramas aren't that great. But w/e.

A cinamatic about the hive, would be interesting I think. The other ideas here are great to though, keep them comming!

Kind of specific... But I'll take that into consideration.

Cinematics has been unpopular since 2003/2004 really, noting much has happened since.

Anyways imo the limit should be a minimum of 2 minutes and a maximum of 4 excluding the ending credits(?).

Yea, actually, it was 2003/2004... I put the wrong dates. :ugly:

Sure. 2 minutes minimum and 4 minutes max. (Excluding the ending credits)

yea, credits could take a bunch of time (to be done properly)

or else it could be said in movie beggining :p

Yea, they usually take like 1 minute or half a minute if there is a lot.

Or you could put the credits in the quests (f9), but people could never access it cause you are on cinematic mode all the time :D.

Rofl... What would be the point in that? Lol...

----------

I'm thinking that it should be a battle cinematic as the theme... Or something else? What do you think it should be about?

Level 32
Battle cinematic? Sign us up!

It might be wise to consider allowing a total of five or six minutes for duration of the entire cinematic. That would give map makers about four or five minutes for their battle and one or two for credits (depending on how long the fight itself ran).

Now, as to what kid of fight scene (if you decide that) should be created... A generic battle with any theme? A clash of mighty armies? A duel between single characters? A party of adventurers encountering hostile forces?

Level 19
I don't want my cinematic to be just battle. If it's a battle cinematic I still would want to add some dialogue and maybe a small encounter or something before the actual battle so that the people fighting in it wouldn't be totally unknown to the watchers. I think it's boring if the whole cinematic is only a battle and nothing else happens. Maybe 2 minutes battle and two minutes something else etc.

Level 8
I dont really agree with the battle idea, I was thinking more along the line of what Hero 'X' does when they are not on the battle field but I see that I am against the majority. If you are to make a battle, you should consider making custom animations for a 'flying up and back' thing so that the unit will land on its back. You should consider going to wc3campaigns.net and downloading the cinematic system. I've heard it is good and that is the only place I've seen it.
I personally believe that the battle should have a lot of instagibbing (one hit kill for those of you who dont know) for standard troops and a climactic battle of two heroes. Instead of going with the revenge theme, why not go with the other cliche and have best friends who meet on the battle field. It would make for a deeper story.

@Jaakko: Classic. :wink:

@Modo:

No animations are needed for flying. You just need to add storm crow then set the flying height.

The cinematic system is allowed. I hope for some people to use it. Though since the majority of the people here probably use GUI instead of JASS, they might get confused.

There might be a lot of "instagibbing" depending on who is making the cinematic.

As for the two best friends meet in a battle, that is an idea someone can use. It will not be the theme though because it is too specific.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Level 8
I am a gui user and I find it odd that most people are. It is well known that JASS is much better. It would be worth learning if you want to make an excellent cinematic.
BTW Jaakko, instagib should remind you of Unreal Tournament as that is where it comes from :thumbs_up:.

I am a gui user and I find it odd that most people are. It is well known that JASS is much better. It would be worth learning if you want to make an excellent cinematic.
BTW Jaakko, instagib should remind you of Unreal Tournament as that is where it comes from :thumbs_up:.

People aren't willing to learn JASS. GUI is much easier and many of the GUIers come back but don't know JASS. :razz:

It is better to know but GUI is alright. It is just that GUI is slower and less efficient at almost all times. (GUI uses a couple of natives so techincally it is just as fast and same thing for events)

Level 4
personally speaking, ive been learning jass but the only thing i found it helpful for is local variables. just about everything you can do in Jass, can be done in GUI as well. All you really need JASS for is a few scripts for locals and to destroy old variables and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.