• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Discussion] Chromolit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

hello! i made a file with varius documents and wanted to talk to you all about it. i cancelled a idea called arena classic and another but now im certan this will stay. chromolit is a cartoonty 2D RTS without blood, gore and inmaturity. it also have no sensical races as theyr tech are completely pounderous. here they are.

inspiration
good ranged units, can quickly go to places and defencive.
the race is basicly a race of humanoid deers, having uses of kallolit(chromOLIT) the believe in the soul and honor in good.
engineer
lans ray: main front infantry that shots a channeling beam.
hunter: sniper unit better vs light.
grav ticklet: medium pusher machine.
assaultier: melee unit with a jetpack.
omli prism: warp posisionist machine.
catapult: anti structure machine.
immortal: devastating beam shooter can hit 3 targets at a time.
flinter: leader unit capable of getting rid of enemies with 2 flintlocks.

inspiration
adepts at controling the combat. follows chromel(CHROMolit) the powers of mystic energies.
chro worker
berzrker: powerfist ecquiped footman that can go on a frenzy.
mortar: artilery unit with long range.
mouthless: blaster caster and slower.
bike: scout machine.
disk thrower: infantry with through going projectiles.
oracle: anti heavy machine.
marine: heavy warrior that can inspire units.
ultramarine: leader unit that can make enemies sleep and make them move.

The Munrok is next but not finished. inspiration. wait for further update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You could look into using the 0AD engine if its licencing meets your requirements. It is a full 3D RTS engine that is already pretty well developed and completely open source. You could quite literally just change the shaders to something more cartoony/cell shaded and then start creating assets. Obviously if you plan this to be commercial you would need to look into the licence as it might not allow you to sell any part of it.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

the one super good.
thanks but i were thinking to have everything drawn and not in 3d. it will have 2 virtual planes however, a destination plane whitch will make the game know where all the units are and a phsycis plane whitch will calculate flying projectiles and knockbacked units. the camera is like castle crashers. its what i want. sorry for bad english.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 24
I havent heard of that engine before but there are more definitions of 3d.
I think that the engine, Dr Super Good mentioned, is a 3d engine that allows units to have a height as well.
(It might also be that there is a 3d camera output but I think the first.)

But anyway in a 3d system, you can still use 2d sprites to show something... just look at warcraft... not many examples that I can come up with now but the silence buff thingy is a 2d sprite that is shown in this 3d game.

2 planes could also work very nice, at least it is less work XD

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

i wanna create a new game thats only 2d. even if it must be licenced or create in a free game maker program. i want it to be official even if it takes time.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

well its pc but may go to mac also in the future. im not a genius i admit but im not stupid. may it be java or not i want the game to be real and thats why i created this thread. to get help. call me stupid but im not giving up now. give me advice.

You could look into using the 0AD engine if its licencing meets your requirements. It is a full 3D RTS engine that is already pretty well developed and completely open source. You could quite literally just change the shaders to something more cartoony/cell shaded and then start creating assets. Obviously if you plan this to be commercial you would need to look into the licence as it might not allow you to sell any part of it.

meh even glest engine is better

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
meh even glest engine is better
Only because it has so few people to work on it.

well its pc but may go to mac also in the future. im not a genius i admit but im not stupid. may it be java or not i want the game to be real and thats why i created this thread. to get help. call me stupid but im not giving up now. give me advice.
Start with top level decisions as to the target of the game. This includes what platforms it will support, what system requirements (important for anything graphics related as modern APIs do not work on old hardware) and what functionality it will use (internet, VR etc). You also need to decide what language will be used to develop the game (Java, C++, flash etc).

Then move on to the requirements of the game engine and what features it must support. It is important that they are all defined as otherwise it becomes very easy to forget something during development.

Finally you can start development to fulfil the requirements you defined. It might be a long time before everything comes together and you get a working game. It is important that you develop everything in a structured way so that you can revise or debug it later.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
the problem with 0ad is single thread, which makes the newest processors, which gain more power from more cores, pretty much obsolete.
No, the problem with 0ad is that they have some seriously poorly performing code so that an RTS with the complexity of something from 10 years ago performs poorly on high end systems. Last I checked it was specifically the pathfinder (which was never well written) and the graphics (which were designed for systems lacking any form of hardware acceleration as the project started before then).

WC3 is single threaded only and that does not stop people from still playing it. SC2 only uses 2 threads (one for game state, one for graphics). The issue is that creating deterministic results efficiently with multiple processors is very difficult if not impossible in certain conditions.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

its a normal rts with 2 planes. it will also be a downloadable game and be playable offline. it will support as much as what warcraft 3 have(fog of war and gameplay) i tell you all another time how the units and structures work.

Status
Not open for further replies.