• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chat Room SFX

Do you want SFX in the chat room

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
We don't need a chat room either.
Ditto@needing an on/off button if implemented.

We don't, but it's nice. I don't think sound effect would be nice. Maybe some would, I wouldn't. They would just irritate me.

Level 13
There was for a while, whenever you got a whisper a little chime sounded. But not anymore.

Level 27
I don't see the harm in having sound as long is there is an off button. (As long as it's not a copyright issue.)
On the other hand, some people would prefer to have sound, it's a win-neutral.

Level 11
They would irritate the hell out of me, so no, not on your life would we have sounds.

Furthermore, it'd be massive copyright violation to take sounds from the game to use on this website, so no, I don't want Ralle getting sued.

so all the art assets this website uses which are directly from WC3 (icons to say the least) are not a violation of copywrite?

Anyway, there was such a feature for a while, but people complained. If it returns, but defaultly off, it would please everyone i think.

If there were sound effects I would hate to have one every time someone sent a message. When logging in/out... think of when people disco or the server blips and there's a mass disconnect. Announcements... are all spam and we already know them anyway. So I don't really see the point of sounds.

That being said, I think something that might be useful is making the window/tab name flash or something when someone sends a new message. I saw Ralle change the tab to "RALLE HAX" once, so it definitely is possible. Dunno if it's actually feasible.

Level 34
Or better yet not have them.

If Ralle wants to implement them, I don't are as long as there is an off button. But as someone said, seems like a waste of time and space.

Level 27
That being said, I think something that might be useful is making the window/tab name flash or something when someone sends a new message. I saw Ralle change the tab to "RALLE HAX" once, so it definitely is possible. Dunno if it's actually feasible.
Up until I right now when I just tested it, I thought this wouldn't work.
Code:
var ViewingChat = true;
window.onfocus = function(){ViewingChat = true;}
window.onblur = function(){ViewingChat = false;}

Level 27
I do believe so. It works for me in SeaMonkey and IE7. Heres a test page:
Code:
<SCRIPT>
window.onblur = function(){document.title = "Blur";}
window.onfocus = function(){document.title = "Focus";}
</SCRIPT>

Level 45
Yeah, because it's not important at all. It was probably removed for the very reasons stated in Donut's post.
From what i last remember there was no button to turn it off and there was sound issues I think, overall I like it and wish it would come back.
BUT I OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO USE FOR IT as my whisper ability is disabled =_=

Level 7
What I have had on my mind for a long time is the ability to 'beep' other people in the chatroom. Basically you would say .beep (name) and it would cause their computer to beep. I find alot of the time people are AFK in the channel when you want to talk to them. You could also have /dnd commands which turn the ability for you to be beeped on/off and limit it so you can only beep every 10 seconds or so.

Level 13
Yeah, because it's not important at all. It was probably removed for the very reasons stated in Donut's post.

No, it's still up there all right.

My point WAS that we had it and it was removed. We tried it. We didn't like it. End of story.

~Thread closed.

My point WAS that we had it and it was removed. We tried it. We didn't like it. End of story.

~Thread closed.

~ Thread opened.

I think that we most likely won't be getting any sort of sounds added to the chat any time soon.

In other news, who else thinks these should be added to the chat room?

Status
Not open for further replies.