• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Taunt Command System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Hey, I want to add some taunts like in Age of Empires to my map: Taunts
First of all: Is there any good taunt system which can be used with triggers or JASS? Maybe even one which sends the AI commands? I started writing my own system now but maybe there is a better one out there.

Second: I don't know the standard sound effects too well but can I find sounds like these in Warcraft III: Taunts
For example: "Give me wood!" or "Give me gold!" or do I need custom sound effects.

Is there any way to get a translatable text from Warcraft for standard sound effects. I know there are strings in FDF files or something I could use but I guess they have nothing to do with the dialogue sounds right? And the dialogue texts are in Blizzard maps only right? This would help me to show the corresponding text in all languages.

Is there any system out there which allows me to let custom displayed messages look like real chat messages or overwrite/change the actual Warcraft chat? This would also help to send the taunts in some better looking way.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Edit: Do you mind changing the title to be slightly more specific? Something like "Taunt Command System" or "Taunt Message System". Just so people don't confuse this with a Taunt ability like the Mountain Giants. Thanks!

Regarding a Taunt system, I've never seen one but it seems like a rather simple concept. You activate the taunt in some way, a chat message, dialog button, ability, etc. and then Display a message / Play a sound for a specific player. I believe you need to use GetLocalPlayer() to play sounds for individuals.

There is no "Give me X" sounds to my knowledge, but you can always import your own. I'm sure the Peasant has a line or two that could be used for "Help me in some way!".

With the BlzFrame natives (custom UI) you can modify most things. You could potentially customize the actual chat message. I've seen maps that completely overhaul the entire chat system but I think that was possible even before custom UI.

It would be neat to see a custom UI Taunt system, you could really go wild with animated images and stuff of that nature all while having an easy to use interface. I imagine something like rows of colored checkboxes representing each player, and you can toggle on one at a time. The player that you taunt would be based on which checkbox you have enabled. Then below it you'd have a list of buttons which do a specific taunt when pressed.Add an anti-spam system and you're good to go.

Regarding localization, I have no idea, that stuff scares me.

Last edited:

There's this in regards to chat, but when it comes to the level of taunting, I cannot recall one in my mind. Though the general idea is to have the sounds used for taunt and something tied with the OS_KEY for command triggers, maybe?

Level 25

There's this in regards to chat, but when it comes to the level of taunting, I cannot recall one in my mind. Though the general idea is to have the sounds used for taunt and something tied with the OS_KEY for command triggers, maybe?
Tried this system but it basically has too many commands and opens custom chat window while playing and you cant see the game anymore. I think by now custom chat with custom frames would be MUCH better. I am also not sure if it catches the regular chat commands and removes them for other players which would be necessary as well.

Mostly taunts would be just chat commands like "-1" or "-yes" or "-lumber" but you could add AI commands to it and write the AI script reacting to it giving you either gold or lumber or training more footmen etc. which is possible in AoE Definitive Edition.

My problem is that when I just send custom chat messages I will fill the screen with text. The chat system you posted is even worse since it requires you to open the chat window which players certainly won't do while playing.

So either you can really fake chat messages like the ones from Warcraft III or you need a custom UI which can be minimized etc. and takes less space than messages on the screen or for taunts you don't even show the text by default and play only sounds but then again Warcraft has no sound effects like "Give me lumber" only something like "Not enough lumber" which will be confusing to hear since you don't build anything and only makes sense with the text in the chat together send from another player.

In Age of Empires you really use these taunts and the AI sends you stuff/reacts to it but also human players online will.

Status
Not open for further replies.