• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Chargeup" channeled spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hey all, I'm wondering what would be the best way to handle spells that work more or less as follows:

A unit begins casting the spell, all other orders are blacked out, and the unit begins channeling. Stuff continues to happen until you end the spell by clicking the icon again, ending the spell channeling (and in the case of the various spells I want to make, creating an instantaneous effect when the channeling ends). As far as I know, the only base spell that works quite like this is the Faerie Dragon's Mana Flare. However, this leaves me with the limitation of only being able to have one ability like that on a character without hassles like shuffling abilities around with add/remove ability and dummies and forced orders every time I want to cast.

So I'm wondering what the best method for creating such channeling abilities (allowing for multiple such spells on the same character, of course) would be. I have some idea, but I figured I'd best consult the triggering veterans here at the Hive, since my way hardly seems optimal. :)

Of course, +rep for anyone who can help out.

Level 11
you can use the spell channel and changed the base order IDs...

then whenever you cast the spell (start to channel) remove the ability you casted and then add the ability to end the channelling... using this method though needs a lot of work...

Thanks for the reply, but this falls into the category of "exactly what I wanted to avoid doing."

Any other ideas?

Level 8
Idk if it will work, but you can try making abilities with activate/deactivate based on non-channeling abilities, like Immolation, Mana Shield, Divine Shield (not sure you can deactivate it), Big Bad Voodoo (not sure too) and set they effects to 0 (or what you want, if you don't wanna use triggers here too); then, just give the units the Channel ability and make a very simple system like that

• Events
    • Unit - a unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • Multiple Conditions - Or
      • casting ability = Mana Shield/Divine Shield/Etc
  • Actions
    • Unit - Order casting unit to Channel
  • Events
    • Unit - a unit ends the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • Multiple Conditions - Or
      • casting ability = Mana Shield/Divine Shield/Etc
  • Actions
    • Unit - Order casting unit to stop Channelling
    • [insert the effects you want here]

you can use the spell channel and changed the base order IDs...

I may be wrong, but if i remember well, if you based two abilities of the same unit on the same ability, even if you change the order ID, every time you use one of them, you uses all. I guess order ID is just for String-to-Order conversions using triggers

Level 11
Idk if it will work, but you can try making abilities with activate/deactivate based on non-channeling abilities, like Immolation, Mana Shield, Divine Shield (not sure you can deactivate it), Big Bad Voodoo (not sure too) and set they effects to 0 (or what you want, if you don't wanna use triggers here too); then, just give the units the Channel ability and make a very simple system like that

The problem with that is I need to be able to click the spell again (and not something like "Move") in order to deactivate it. If they're using channel with Disable Other Abilities, how are they going to end the charging?

Also, "Ends the Effect of an ability" isn't a real event. You just made that up >_>

Level 8
The problem with that is I need to be able to click the spell again (and not something like "Move") in order to deactivate it. If they're using channel with Disable Other Abilities, how are they going to end the charging?

So you probably going to need a few triggers

Also, "Ends the Effect of an ability" isn't a real event. You just made that up >_>

I just freehanded. I meant "Finishes casting an ability"

Edited: I just remembered a little bit more Toggleable abilities. They are Defend, Etheral Form, Stone Form, Burrow, Robo-Golbin and NE Druids Animal Forms. These ones morphs (por play unit alternate animations) the casting unit. Maybe you will need it for some of your abilities so i'm just poiting them.

Also, i think it's rude to say that people who are actually trying to help you made events, just so you know :)

Last edited:

so can set Disable other abilities to false...

Status
Not open for further replies.