• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Channeling spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to editoring, following alot of tutorials on this website, but at this point I got stuck like a squirrel..

I'm trying to make a channeling spell. After 2 seconds of channeling a ballistae size arrow shoots from my archer. This spell is based on life drain.

Problem 1) I got some target allowed issues, I got : air/enemy/ground/organic.
When I target the enemy, it says: only friendly units. When I target friendly unit, it says only enemy units... ?!?

Problem 2) I got a dummy unit, dummy spell. For some reason my arrow modelfile is never showed and neither is the damage applied.

HELP:(

I have included my map(Triggers : Customspellcasting : ROYAL ARROW) (Object editor: Custom abilities->Humans->Royal Arrow(dummy)

Bayu,

Attachments

• Entering the Dungeons.w3x
    1 MB · Views: 54

nGy

nGy

Level 11
firstly, it is always good to use "channel" as your base ability for dummy spells (it's just very handy and i don't get the point of using life drain).

Also you might want to change this:
  • Unit - Set level of Royal Arrow Dummy for (Last created unit) to (Level of Holy Arrow for (Triggering unit))
into this:
  • Unit - Set level of Royal Arrow Dummy for (Last created unit) to (Level of Royal Arrow for (Triggering unit))
1) i didn't have this problem. i could cast it only on enemies.

2) when using the "a unit stops casting an ability"-event you can't refer to the target unit of this ability. to get the desired effect just add a 2 second cast time to the dummy's ability and when the original hero ability starts, create the dummy and order it to cast its spell on the target unit. additionally if you want the spell not to be cast, when the archer stops channeling (not channels the whole 2 seconds), just add a trigger which picks all dummy units owned by the owner of the caster and removes them if their level of the dummy's ability is higher than 0 (or sth., maybe it can be done more easily).
I assume you can only have one dummy casting this spell at the same time. if that is not the case, the previously mentioned won't do much good and you would have to use some kind of indexing (in order to make it MUI).

In addition you could use a damage spell (instead of life drain) as the base for your dummy's ability as it is not very pretty that the damage is dealt before the projectile reaches the target (in my opinion at least) and as the damage wouldn't have to be dealt per trigger. If you want to deal the damage per trigger, you should use the damage action:
  • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing some damage of attack type Normal and damage type Normal
instead of an hp removal.

However, if i'm wrong at some point, please correct me :)

Last edited:
Level 33
When I target the enemy, it says: only friendly units. When I target friendly unit, it says only enemy units... ?!?
Because Life Drain has its own unique bug.

Did you set the Data - Hit Points Drained to 0 ?
If it is 0, well, the spell has its own bug which can't even target any unit at all, be it enemies or allies, or even Self.

You must at least put there 0.01 (don't worry, the value it too small, this Life Drain won't affect the target's HP)

For better way to execute this, follow the above post's suggestion which is to use Channel.

Level 1
Thanks guys! By using Starts channeling, It works like a charm now! (Based it off Storm bolt with a 0,01 stunduration, 2 second cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.