• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing the color of buffs and spell effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I see there are ways to change the rgb tint of units and doodads, but not spell effects? Is there a way to accomplish this with triggers that I'm maybe missing? I feel like this is possible..

I found an action for "set special effect color" for "last created effect", but it's not working for anything. "set special effect scale" however works just fine.

It's also strange how the water elemental for example, when you change the tint or transparency of this model, the water particle effects attached to the model don't change at all. The unit can be completely invisible, but the water effects are still there.

I've searched for these water effects as a separate thing in the editor somewhere maybe being called by the model to try and change it there, no luck. Anyone know where I could find those textures to change or reskin somehow without creating a new model?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Search for Set Special Effect Color.
  • Special Effect - Set Color of (Last created special effect) to r: 255, g: 255, b: 255
It doesn't always work. Some special effects are not designed to support this feature I guess. I haven't tested it with Reforged models yet but I imagine in Reforged it's even LESS likely to work.

And I don't think you can edit those Water Elemental particle effects in the Editor.

Level 39
Particle emitters cannot be recolored and are always visible no matter the transparency, since alpha is a subset of RGBA coloring. A model with particle emitters will have to be edited if you want this functionality. There is no way to set a default color in the object editor for a special effect used in a buff or ability.

Level 2
Ah, this is all good to know, thanks.

I did start going down the path of doing some really basic model editing, like just changing RGB values of effects. With reforged just being launched, is there a suggested path to go down to extract these models from the game, which model viewer to use, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.