• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing Loading Bar Text

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I want to change the loading screen bar text. I don't mean the Scenario -> Map Loading Screen text, but the text on the loading bar that reads "LOADING" and "PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE". Searched through Gameplay Interface and eight pages of search hits, but nothing to be found.
Magentix did it in his map: [Other] Project Nethershard - The Helper Forums and I suspect he edited the MPQ somehow
I would ask him, but he hasn't been online for like 2 months on both TH and WC3C.
Maybe you guys can help me out?

Level 16
First of all, don't bump any earlier than 48 hours between posts.
Second, i'm not sure about "Loading" but you can change the "Press any key" in the Game Interface.

EDIT: *HINT* It's the only one with full caps text.
EDIT2: It seems that you CAN change the "Loading" aswell. Just look closely.
EDIT3: *HINT* Check alphabetically.

EDIT4: *IMPORTANT!* If you're using the standard world editor, you will NOT be able to find it. Just checked. I'm using vJassNewGen.

The reason i don't say where they are is because i want you to find them yourself.

Level 3
The strings are saved in file "UI\FrameDef\GlobalStrings.fdf" in "war3.mpq". If you export and open the file, on the line 447, there is written:
LOADING_LOADING "L O A D I N G",
LOADING_PRESS_A_KEY "PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE",

There is only one problem, I dont know, how to force the Wc3 to use this file instead original one.

EDIT:
Ok, now I know something new about this. You must edit and import "globalstrings.fdf" (mentioned in the previous post) into "War3Patch.mpq" into "UI\FrameDef\" directory.
war3.jpg

Attachments

• globalstrings.zip
    17.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 16
Wow, thank you so much! But how do I do this for every player? I mean, I can't change a player's MPQ file ingame can I? I found a thread on WC3C with the same question (from 2007 though). This was answered:

UI\FrameDef\UI\GlobalStrings.fdf:
LOADING_LOADING "L O A D I N G",
LOADING_PRESS_A_KEY "PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE",
LOADING_WAITING_FOR_PLAYERS "WAITING FOR OTHER PLAYERS",

You must put them in your war3mapMisc.txt under the category "[FrameDef]".
Or edit SkinMetaData.slk in UI to include those fields in game interface.

I don't understand the first thing, but I guess the second method is like they did in NewGen to make the field appear in the interface? Guess that will be the only way :(

Last edited:
Level 2
To replace loading bar text, append this to the end of war3mapSkin.txt in your map under "[FrameDef]":

Code:
LOADING_LOADING=Your Text Here
LOADING_PRESS_A_KEY=More Text Here
LOADING_WAITING_FOR_PLAYERS=Other Text Here

Last edited:
Level 2
actually u can change the loading_loading, unless u somehow preload it b4 the loading screen.

just to clarify what is said above.

open notepad.

now copy and paste this.

[FrameDef]
LOADING_PRESS_A_KEY=Text Here
LOADING_WAITING_FOR_PLAYERS=Text Here

change text here to what u want.

save as war3mapSkin

open ur map useing mpq editor eg mpq master

now go operations add files add the file u just saved. run the map, (also note that if u have WE or wc3 open it might not work.)

note: if some1 already has the map it wont work for them.

ill edit this when i find how to change the loading_loading

Level 2
actually u can change the loading_loading, unless u somehow preload it b4 the loading screen.

just to clarify what is said above.

open notepad.

now copy and paste this.

[FrameDef]
LOADING_PRESS_A_KEY=Text Here
LOADING_WAITING_FOR_PLAYERS=Text Here

change text here to what u want.

save as war3mapSkin

open ur map useing mpq editor eg mpq master

now go operations add files add the file u just saved. run the map, (also note that if u have WE or wc3 open it might not work.)

note: if some1 already has the map it wont work for them.

ill edit this when i find how to change the loading_loading

The modified values in war3mapSkin.txt aren't loaded until after the map is loaded, oddly enough. This is why the value for Loading_Loading does not appear to change, but the others do. If you restart the map or host it again directly after playing it, you will indeed see the change; however, I am unaware of and even unsure if there is a viable way to show it beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.