• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing a model globally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Is there a way to change a model so it will be in effect for official melee ladder? Other than custom games I also play in bnet's ladder in 4v4, and would like to change the hero models.

I tried working on this years ago, and the most I could do is only changing the skin of a hero, but not the model (shape) itself. For example: I managed to put Jaina's skin on the default Archmage model and it actually worked in ladder too, but obviously smearing Jaina's skin on an old guy and a horse looks quite bad.

I tried searching for this question here and elsewhere and couldn't find any threads.

I know other players won't see the changes I make. I also know collision sizes and other stats won't change. I would just like to change the default heroes to characters from the lore:
Blademaster -> Grom
Archmage -> Jaina
Paladin -> Arthas with hammer
Demon Hunter -> Illidan with horns
Keeper of the Grove -> Malfurion
Dreadlord -> Tychondrius

Any amount of help will be appreciated.

Level 2
Yes it's possible, but you should check first that it doesn't get your key banned.

If you still want to do it you have to edit the windows registry so the game allows local files. There are tutorials for doing this plus a regkey that does it with just a double click, beware tho that editing your registry may screw up your computer so do it at your on risk, in my case I can tell you it's pretty safe.

After you do this you need two things: the model you want to use and the model path you want to replace.

PS: I don't know if it still works with the new patches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.