• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Change Spell Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Is there any way to change a spell's icon?

I'm trying to create an "evolution" system, and it would be nice, because each tier would require only an option to branch into 3 different forms.. so I was kind of just hoping to create 3 different dummy spellls, change their icon (if someone can tell me how T_T), and change their name with a dynamic tooltip.

Is this a stupid question,, or not? I've been generally looking over for random searches, but Im unsure of what exactly to search for.. sooo.

Yeah, thanks for any help.

Level 5
I don't get exactly what you mean.
You can press control + c and control +v to simply copy the spell in your object editor.
If you mean change the icon in the game the only way i know is to replace the whole spell with another spell with a different icon.

Level 9
I have to make an entirely different spell to be able to change the icon in game?

Ugh.

Yes, in game icon changing was what I meant.

Edit: I guess I wouldn't need to make icons or anything... one could just add a way to upgrade a unit to a different evolution.. like a town hall upgrading.. and you can force units to upgrade I think.. but how does one add that dynamically? (The buttons for evovling, like a town hall has a button to upgrade to Castle.. how do you add that to a unit?)

Edit 2: I dont mean add it in object editor.. I mean dynamically add it.

It seems Parasite 2 has a method of doing it too, I wonder how it does it.

Last edited:
Level 9
Yeah... thanks.

My question is now then: how can I add the sort of "Tech Tree: Upgrades To:" sort of thing found on a town hall, which can change it to a castle or whatever to a unit, without it being a building, and without the unit starting with it?

Level 5
Their is a point in the Object editor called something like Tech Tree - upgrades to (I don't have the English version of the Editor so i don't know exactly how it is called). But this will work for buildings only not for units.
You have to replace your unit in order to allow it to evolve.

Level 9
Yeah.. Zinive.. I was asking if there is any way to make a unit able to have that tech tree ability, or specifically, if I could add it with a trigger... but I guess not.

And I'm not upgrading something from nothing, I'm upgrading like a base peasant unit to something more formidable.. as I have said before, like a town hall to a keep or whatever. I was just trying to save myself having to make 10000000 icons, but oh well.

Level 9
Someone said you can set a unit to a building, set it's upgrades, and set it back to unit and it will keep it, however, I would like to do it through TRIGGERS (so I can use one unit, and just set its evolutions to whatever, etc..)

Can I get a definite yes or no if this can be done?

Level 9
Actually I finally got it all figured out.

The base unit simply is given all the evolution possiblities. All of the players of the map are unallowed to evolve to them through the Player - Techtree tingie.

Then, whenever I want, I can just allow the player controlling the unit to evolve to the unit specified.

Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.