• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Cataclysm: Defiance of the Jaki Boss Fight Map: I need your opinion for my planned boss fights!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Hello, my name is redscores and I have been in the buisness of mapmaking for a long time.

I am currently trying to get into mapmaking again, but my projects until now that I have planned were far too large and ambitious... So I will try to start smaller.

My idea is a boss fight map in general but with some "stand-out" features.

At first, there will be around 5 boss fights in the initial map, but I plan to include more and more boss fights with each version and some extras.

The layout of the map will be an area where you can select which boss you want to fight and several different boss areas with unique features and environments.

Later on I plan to include stuff like multi-mode bosses. Bosses which you can fight in different modes, which you have to beat first to get the second mode for example.

Or some bosses which require you to defeat other bosses to be able to select them.

Maybe even secret bosses which need very specific circumstances to be unlocked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are my basic ideas.

I would appreciate ideas and feedback of any kind.

Level 21
Each boss should have a unique mechanic and a way of defeating him other than just damaging it (bouncing his spells back at him, damaging terrain, etc.).

Each boss is a bit much... I think there should be unique mechanics but not ONLY unique mechanics because that will seem gimmicky.

The damage dealer heroes won't really feel good if they never have to deal damage to kill a boss...

I am thinking of 12 bosses as a whole (5 at the start) with 3 bosses with unique mechanics.

Level 21
In that case, the mechanic could be "stun the boss with a triggered event", allowing every hero to whale on him, but the boss has very high armor other wise. Think 3D Legend of Zelda games.

Yeah. Currently a boss is planned who will gain increased mana over time (starts with 0 and goes to 100) if he reaches 100 he goes into a mode where the heroes have to stand on runes for 10 seconds (5 runes as a whole that spawn every 15 seconds) to remove them. The team has 2 minutes time for that. If the 2 minutes expire and a rune is still active, the boss goes into enrage.

You will even have a visible timer that counts down from 2 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.