• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Defense / Survival] Castle Defenders - Feedback on number of units and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi

So I was just working on an idea I shared on this other hive forum:
[Defense / Survival] - Looking for ideas for new map

To resume the idea shortly, it is a castle defense map based on one Hero for each player and a lot of castle NPC units. The castle will be invaded wave by wave and you will have to go through several quests, events and loot to increase your chances of holding back the enemy forces from killing the king of the castle.

Now I have advanced to begin the project and I became curious of both my environment expertise, the arrangement as a whole - but most of all the amount of units I am putting into this map.
When I play it in singleplayer, for now the 500 units I have put into this map so far, do not have an impact. I am not sure if this will be different in multiplayer or it has something to do with the map size?

Please, if you have a minute check it out and give me some feedback. Don't hold back, if something is bad please tell me. :)

Map is attached to this thread.
Have a nice day and thanks for reading anyway!

Attachments

• Castle Defenders.w3x
    555.1 KB · Views: 70
Level 8
About your map....

Wow what a nice review mate, thanks for you taking the time to do this!
Where do I start..

About keeping it simple:
I do try to keep it simple, although I do not want it to be too simple. It has to be strategic. I will try to keep it easy to survey through-out the map and slowly introduce the many events going on carefully for the player. When you get used to the map, you will probably have more time to spare, being able to advance to some early game events, increasing the defenses of the castle and thereby increasing your chances of surviving. The map is not limited by time, but it's about getting the most of the time you have!

Some events I have planned for the trained eye is to keep the farmers alive for as long as possible, since they will gather resources for the castle for upgrades and researches.
Other events may include doing quests that will gather allies to join your castle's forces for a final stand.

Hack and slash game:
The units will have low health for a reason. I want the player to experience the massive take-down of enemies, to increase the stand-and-defend feel. Also, this will make your Hero rather vulnerable himself, so you will have to think more about your actions.

About the Hardcore gamemode I agree. I was concidering making all items dropped upon death, in which case you will have to think a lot more about what you do.

GTA-system like:
I'm not sure about this idea to be completely honest. I was just brainstorming at the time, thinking some assassination of the castle's NPC's, would at a risk, increase your chances of survival. It could be a prison guard you would slay, and upon that you would release prisoners in a hostile stage attacking all units in their path. This would be concidered using when you are pushed back and none of your own units were to risk their lives to the hostile unit release.
Among other thoughts.

About the custom item builds:
I think I will be sticking to the idea one brought me in the other thread. Items acquired will enable certain abilities - and sets will fulfill the main use of them.
Like by acquiring a full set of Captain gear, will make you able to promote villagers to soldiers and make them join forces at the front line.
The aspect of this will make you realize the strength not only lies alone in the Hero, since a few villagers might be equal to the Heroes' strength alone - but it is what the actions and choices of what the player does, that has a major impact on the outcome of the game. Again, strategic. But by having the hack and slash theme will also make it interesting for those who just wishes to tear things apart without overthinking too much.

Hints and first 5 minutes:
The hints were actually just for myself to remember some stuff and make it easier for those first-to-come-controls.
However, I hope for the first 5 minutes will catch the player, as I will make it unpredictable for each start-up and some easy gear catching, while some PvE will start shortly after. I will try to make it very easy for the player to discover what to do and so on, without even making a tutorial like that.

I hope that cleared up a bit of my thoughts of this!

Level 8
Ah crap! I posted something serious. This is what happens when I drink :eek:

Hehe, well I love getting some feedback, so thanks a bunch!

It's better anyway, it requires more work tho. Well if you're confident enough.

I won't say I feel confident. I like the struggle and challenge of making it. I am not certain of how difficult it will be, I think I have some ideas. I will just keep it very simple though.

These I want to see.

Well if you like, I can txt you whenever it is playable if you like. I would need someone to test it with :D hehe

Thx for everything bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.