• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Cannot open Legacy Editor - error on launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, I've been following this guide
Warcraft 3 Legacy Installer (1.21b - 1.27a)
to install an old WC3 client and its editor. The game seems to work fine, but I can't get the editor to launch. I have one file named "World Editor" which is 68KB and another just called "worldedit" (which doesnt have an icon btw) on 4580KB. When i try to open either of them i get the following error: "worldedit.exe has stopped working" and I have to close the program.

I'm on 1.26a atm, but have tried 1.27a and 1.27b aswell.

I remember having similar issues back when the reforged pre-patches started coming, and I distinctly remember reading somewhere a solution involving making a shortcut to the world editor file, and then adding a little snippet of code somewhere under the shortcut's "properties" tab... something along those lines... I'm not a tech guy :) But now I can't find any information about that anywhere.

Any help?

Also, while we're at it, what's the best legacy version to play on? Do all the different 3rd party services use different ones?

Level 24
If you've ever launched reforged and now are trying to rollback you would need to clear out the registry files.

Start by hitting Windows key + R, then typing in regedit in the box that appears, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment.
Delete "Classic Launcher", "Warcraft III" and "WorldEdit" and you should have a fresh install. *BACK UP YOUR SAVE GAMES*
This will prompt a re-entry of your cd key, so be sure to have that on hand when you attempt this.

Level 13
You don't need to remove War3's registry entirely. Go to "...\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit\" and remove the following entry.
upload_2020-6-24_21-44-31.png
Then the older ones should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.