• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cannon Commanders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
This map has been 'out there' for about a month, but as im new to the hive, i thought i'd introduce the map here too.
The map can be downloaded right here at the hive in the resource section. I'll copy the description i wrote for it:

Take control of a cannon with great firepower. Destroy the enemies who try to disable the shield protecting your country. Customize your cannon by buying new weapons with massive firepower and crush the intruders!

This is a 4 man team game where each player controls a turret. The goal is to protect 4 generators which the enemy will try to destroy. It features:

-22 different cool weapons. Enemy getting the better of you? Load up the A-Bomb cannon and show the enemies what you are made of!
-Addon to the turret
-20 waves of enemies
-5 boss levels. There are 5 puzzle bosses, the bosses only get better at higher levels, try to make it to the end to see them all!
-A bonus level
-10 randomly spawned powerups! Each with different effects, from a simple gold gain to desctructive spells to a milkable kodo :)
-Simple AI. You may replace the player slots with computers and play with them. The computer players will shoot random targets within their range. Sell their old weapons and buy new weapons from the money they get from kills.
-Difficulty levels, there is Normal and Insane difficulties for the host to choose from. In insane difficulty the enemies will have more hitpoints, more damage and increased attack speed.
-Extra weapons only available at the insane difficulty.
-There are secret levels after the level 20. You will need to unlock them at the beginning of the map with a special code. The code is personal to each user (very simple \'save/load\' type of code with 5 characters). The code is given to you after you beat all the 20 levels in normal difficulty. Only one player needs to unlock the secret levels for all.

Comments/suggestions/feedback are welcome. Also report any bugs you might find.

And here's the link to it at the resource section: Cannon Commanders

I'd love to hear peoples oppinions on the map after you've played it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I played an old version and like mentioned eariler it is realy difficult and repetitive and grows old to some very fast. Although the bosses are funny it still is not enough to drive people to play the map and win it. Try adding some even easier difficulty for "noobs" which gives you a code so you can play harder difficulties since if one member of the team does not pull his weight everyone loses and it is common in your map that someone will not shift his weight. Also some people on bnet do not like how hard the game currently is and give up playing it and the introduction of a "noob" difficulty would give players a chance to get how the map works before they tackle the current easy difficulty.

And im not making up stuff about how popular it is I only saw it hosted 3 times in nearly 17 hours online and thoughs were all old versions.

Still this map beats LOAP and other rigged maps by far. . .

Level 16
Difficulty is my trade mark :). I like personally to play difficult (but possible to beat) maps, and I guess thats why I also like to make my maps 'difficult' (i like to call them 'challenging' instead).

I must disagree with the repetative and gets old fast comment. This is the only map that I still want to play after its been like two months after its initial release (not to mention the weeks/months doing it and testing singleplayer). Useally (well always) after I get my map ready for public release im already sick of it because I do a LOT of testing offline before releasing my maps but Cannon Commanders is still one of my favorite maps and I still enjoy to play it. Its an unique map so I cant expect everybody to agree with that.

In the new version there's the "normal" and "insane" difficulty. When I host the map public and we play the normal difficulty we almost always beat the map so I'd say its pretty easy (I'll have to give some credit to myself though for the win :)). And you can also now play with computers, so if you are having trouble finding players, just add computer players. Their AI is simple, but still effective. A good way to get introduced to the map.

And I know very well what you mean with those noobs who dont want to bother doing anything and quit (im writing this after I just played 3 games in a row). Some noobies found the shooting too challenging even when im in the game explain it to them (its just clicking your mouses right button lol). I'll have to take the elitist attitude in this matter. If the noobies are too stupid to play the map and have as much patience as a 5 year old, then they dont need to play this map. I like to think I make my maps for the 'normal' bnet players not for the hyper active 5 year olds.

Thanks for your comment.

Level 5
man a cool map!!
i am trying to find some map macker that would like to help me build a map you look like some one who fits to the job :)

Level 16
Glad you liked the map Pirate.

Umm, im sure many people would fit the job of an assistant in map making. What kind of help do you need? Anyway, please send a private message to me about it, lets not go off topic in this thread.

Level 3
My little brother who's 9 says the map is great, but he hates it when he kills your Look-Alikes or when the AI kills the boss. He actually got to the level when the wisps move around and around and around......and then BOOM! A Bloodmage appears. That killed him :(. But the map is great.

Level 16
Im making an update to the map. So far I've 'jassified' all of the weapons (that means I redid them with jass). Other than that my mind is pretty blank. Anybody have ideas/suggestions what you want to see in the new version?

Thread posted:

post_old.gif
12-11-2006, 03:07 PM

Level 16
Thats a bit too ambitious idea rage :).

Commanderz: No the creeps dont scale with number of players. If you want to play this solo, you can use the computer players to help you. Just add computers normally before the game starts and thats it, have fun.

Level 3
Wow, I had no idea it has AI, good job. This information should be on some visible place!

I would have one very simple idea: -noshake command which would turn off screen shaking. I thought I will go vomit after several games :p

Level 16
Lo, I'm really dumb. The map is too intense, noone has time to read tooltips :p

Indeed :). That's why I tryied to cram all the essintial info to the loading screen hoping that people would read even that.

Indirectly, but you've still given me one idea what to add; bit more info. I'll add it in the quests as the beginning is spammed with text as it is, and the loading screen doesnt fit anymore. I'll add a msg to redirect people to read the quests for more info. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.