• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can somone please tell me how to do these things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain how by using "Photoshop CS2" I can make certain parts of my skin be invisible/transparent in game?

How can I make a "Team Color" area with "Photoshop CS2"?

Also can someone please explain what Alpha channel actually is? I hear lot of people talking about it, but what is it? How can you make Alpha channels (What ever they are) with "Photoshop CS2"?

Level 4
When skinning, alpha channels are used for making a part of a model transparent, or making teamcolor. You can find the alpha channels here.

When painting on the alpha channels you paint only with white, black and any shade of grey.. so no colors.

Totally black equals 100% transparent model, or 100% pure teamcolor.
Totally white equals 0% transparent model or 0% teamcolor.

So where can I paint teamcolor, and where can I make the model transparent?

Well, it depends on the model. Or, the material of the model. To make a part of a model teamcolor you have to go into the .mdl and change the material for the geoset.

I think that should cover it. Ask if you have any more questions.

/Fredalf

So if I make part of my skin 100 black then it will be 100% teamcolor AND 100% transparent at the same time? So it will be red but it will also be invisible? :?

Same with white? Btw I got no idea how to do anything AT ALL with models, I only know more or less how skins work. :(

Thanks you for explaining how Alpha chanels are found but can you also plz tell me, what do Alpha channels help? Thanks.

Ok, I've JUST tried and I can't figure out how it all works. Whata heck is this aplha thingy and when I make my model transparent by using "Eraser Tool" it becomes white when I convert it to .BLP and ingame instead of being transparent the parts of the body become white as well. How to make team color is even harder for me. Its like, the parts that must have teamcolor are black and aplha chanell in the same shape, it is just very strange. :?

Can you please explain in a bit more detail?

Level 4
Totally black equals 100% transparent model, or 100% pure teamcolor.
Totally white equals 0% transparent model or 0% teamcolor.

You probably understood this, but this only applies when you are painting on an alpha channel. So you can paint as much black and white on the skin as you want, as long as it isn´t on the alpha channel.

So if I make part of my skin 100 black then it will be 100% teamcolor AND 100% transparent at the same time? So it will be red but it will also be invisible?

No, it will be either 100% transparent OR 100% teamcolor, not both. Which of the two it becomes depends, as I said before, on the material which can be found in the .mdl.

when I make my model transparent by using "Eraser Tool" it becomes white when I convert it to .BLP and ingame instead of being transparent the parts of the body become white as well.

That´s because you can´t use the eraser tool when alphaing. This DID however work in PS7, but not in CS2. Paint with black on the alpha channel instead.

Its like, the parts that must have teamcolor are black and aplha chanell in the same shape, it is just very strange.

It doesn´t have to be that way, but Blizzard does it like that.
In fact, you can paint whatever you want on the skin, but as long as there is something on the alpha channel it will turn transparent or teamcolor on that spot.

Again, just ask if something is unclear. Alpha channels can be a bitch in the beginning.

/Fredalf

Status
Not open for further replies.