• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can JASS replace GUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I was just wondering if JASS can do everything that GUI can do. I meen can you remake any trigger in JASS or do you have do use GUI at some point?

Some people do prefer making everything in Jass. Well, it's a bit easier sometimes to type down stuff than scrolling down. Plus, when Jass uses just the line local unit u, which is used for local events, MUI-enhanced coding, in GUI you need to make a whole new indexing system or assign new hashtables, which is a pain. If your trigger is consisted though from a simple Event-Condition-Actions, use just GUI, it's not a big deal. It depends on how bored you are. Of course some functions are not even by luck represented in GUI, so you definitely need Jass there.

Level 22
Or you can use VexorianJass shorted vJass, bigger better and yeah ...

GUI stands for "Grapical User Interface" and is just a better looking Jass editor except it doesnt contain all functions in Common.j and refers to Blizzard.j called BJ which calls functions in the common.j ... sigh

Or you can use VexorianJass shorted vJass, bigger better and yeah ...

GUI stands for "Grapical User Interface" and is just a better looking Jass editor except it doesnt contain all functions in Common.j and refers to Blizzard.j called BJ which calls functions in the common.j ... sigh

isnt it VeryJASS?

Level 9
JASS is 100% way better than GUI, since GUI is coded out of JASS more or less. Just like C is much better than C++ and can do anything and more than C++. GUI is easy for newbies to learn things as it is more direct since not everyone playing the game knows coding. Ofcourse, if you feel that you are good enough, JASS is always the better way to go [:

And to answer your question in short, yes it can.

JASS is 100% way better than GUI, since GUI is coded out of JASS. Just like C is much better than C++ and can do anything and more than C++. GUI is easy for newbies to learn things as it is more direct since not everyone playing the game knows coding. Ofcourse, if you feel that you are good enough, JASS is always the better way to go [:

And to answer your question in short, yes it can.

C++ is the improvement to C right?

Level 10
The map compiler translates everything you make in GUI into JASS.
When you make something in the GUI, you're making it in JASS.
GUI is a subset of JASS.
JASS is not a subset of GUI.
There are some complicated things JASS can do that GUI can't.
If you're an experienced programmer, you can make your code very easy to maintain by doing it properly in JASS.
If you just want to make a simple map, and aren't good with programming, stick to GUI, especially if you need help and don't want to wait for a JASS guru to find your thread!

Level 9
Not to go offtopic, but C is definitely much better than C++ [: because C++ is built from C. C++ is object oriented programming (Just more libraries and functions compare to C). But those libraries and fuctions are coded with C [: Anyone can create your own C++ with C if someone is that good [: C++ is better because it is object oriented where people can code in a cleaner way compare to C.

Like my professor always said. If someone wants to create the world's fastest game engine, they won't use C even. The reason people uses new language is because newer language are easier to learn and more user friendly compare to other lower level languages like assembly languages. Same reason for GUI and JASS, blizzard wanted people who don't know coding to actually know how it works. When someone gets more advance, JASS is always welcome.

On topic, Jass is better than GUI like others said.

Level 28
Not to go offtopic, but C is definitely much better than C++ [: because C++ is built from C. C++ is object oriented programming (Just more libraries and functions compare to C). But those libraries and fuctions are coded with C [: Anyone can create your own C++ with C if someone is that good [: C++ is better because it is object oriented where people can code in a cleaner way compare to C.

Like my professor always said. If someone wants to create the world's fastest game engine, they won't use C even. The reason people uses new language is because newer language are easier to learn and more user friendly compare to other lower level languages like assembly languages. Same reason for GUI and JASS, blizzard wanted people who don't know coding to actually know how it works. When someone gets more advance, JASS is always welcome.

On topic, Jass is better than GUI like others said.
This is true, but you're forgetting something: although C++ is slower than C, it does contain new functions and is easier to use.
GUI is slower and lost a few functions and if you are good at JASS, it's also slower than JASS (although it is a lot easier to learn).

I believe everything's been said...
To sum it up:

JASS is a lot better, because GUI is made out of JASS, all GUI triggers are converted to JASS when playing a map.
GUI isn't even finished yet: it has a lot of flaws, less functions and is slower.
The problem is that JASS isn't very user-friendly, especially not back in the old days (you've probably seen JASS in the regular world editor, not really the most appealing script... no search function, no database, ...), that's why people tend to use GUI.
All JASS-related programs (JassCraft, JNGP, vJass) brought a lot of change it that though: all (very) good mappers use, or at least know JASS and they prefer vJass.

If you're still learning the basics and don't know a lot of other languages: stick to GUI.
If you already know a few languages (such as C or J-script): try to learn JASS step by step, but it takes more time to learn than GUI.

Level 9
If you are able to learn jass, then use it. If not, well stick to GUI. Its really hard to learn jass if you dont know a other language before. But its not impossible.I learned it and it did not know any other language before.

Afterwards i think it even may be easier to learn jass before learning GUI. Jass was very confusing for me first, cause i was very confused about to missing events condtiotions and actions.:ugly: After some time i got that i dont need them the way i need them in GUI.And after soem time i was able to make scripts faster with jass than with GUI.

vJass itself is not better than jass itself. You cant do anything new. Its just even faster to make scripts and some thinkgs(like being able to declare globals or librarys which are good for sharing code) are really handy.
The OOP is quite hard to use at the beginning, simple its hard to get whats better if you use it. Well nothing is better, its just faster to write:cool:

Level 13
Thats not completly true. vJass adds some stuff that is VERY hard to achieve with Jass and even harder to read. One of this thing are code arrays, that feature just doesn't exist in Jass but vJass adds it (via if-conditions in a function, however, this is very... annoying). If you learn Jass, there is realy no reason not to learn vJass, it's just mighty :D

Level 9
Actually i've never used jass, vjass or other stuff, but i know it's A LOT better than GUI, but i use GUI, cause it's simple, user friendly, kind of easy to learn if you understand english :DD. For me GUI:thumbs_up: Jass, vJass, etc :thumbs_down: (GUI is more user friendly for me :D)

Tiche3:grin:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Actually when you use JNGP, writing in JASS becomes buttloads easier than writing in GUI. Sure when you're learning you make a command first in GUI to see how to type it in JASS, but the rewards are outstanding.

For instance, take a GUI code that creates a unit. For me, this took forever because there are so many units to choose from on that stupid unit list - and it's based on unit portraits, too, so it's very easy to overlook the unit you need to find! In JASS, you simply view the object editor in rawcode to see the code of the unit, and then type the code in. Wicked fast, especially when you have to do this a lot (which is common). If I had started out learning JASS instead of GUI, I would have saved myself dozens, if not hundreds, of hours of useless work.

Status
Not open for further replies.