• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

can i restore a map the updater deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
hey,
i just updated my wc3 from version 1.26 to 1.28 and my custom maps are now deleted. i think the updater copied the maps-folder (into my documents?) and replaced it by a new one (wi´hich doesnt contain any custom maps anymore.
the problem is that my program files are write-protected (at least some of its content, including my custom maps..) so probably it couldnt properly copy my maps into the document folder but still replaced the old folder-.-
i even copied my maps to my usb-stick before patching but my damn pc didnt copy the protected ones and i didnt check arrgh
so theyre now deleted but i dont think theyre in my recycle-bin (i didnt find them there)..
is there a way i can save them somehow?

Level 16
If the data really is deleted, the only easy way to get the data back is to use "previous versions". Though there's a good chance this feature is disabled on your computer.

This article might help: Previous Versions - Restore Files and Folders - Windows 7 Help Forums

There are more advanced ways of retrieving lost data, but it probably isn't worth it for a few Warcraft 3 maps. Check the maps aren't saved somewhere else (I'm not sure what the patch did with them), otherwise your data might be gone sorry.

pyf

pyf

Level 32

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hmm... Are you sure that what you found are the actual files themselves?

I would expect to only find shortcut files in Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent.

Can you please double check?

Level 3
hey, i just doublechecked,
youre right in Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent
was only the the shortcut,

but the file was also in the AppData folder:
Users\$USER$\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Maps

sry for confusing^^

Status
Not open for further replies.