• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign Theme Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Campaign Screens

Hi,

I have just started to create a small campaign seated within a SciFi universe only about 100 years within the future.

LoadingScreen
here JPG - 733kb (direct link)

CampaignScreen
here JPG - 650kb (direct link)

I would like you to give as much suggestions and opinions on those two pictures.

Here is a little spoiler on the campaigns content.

Spoiler

Features
  • Characterdevelopement
  • Technology developement
  • fully developed RTS
    • 2 complete Factions
    • many different units, structures & technologies per side
    • full Multiplayersupport (The game will come with some MP-RTS-Maps)
  • switching gametypes
    • RTS
      Strategy games as are already well nown. Build your base, train your units and fullfill some goals.
    • TAC
      Start with a few units, fullfill your goal. No Basebuilding.
    • SO
      Start with only your hero. You might get a few units, but not for long. Basebuilding is also no option.

Summary
Humanity has met his first and almost final enemy. Machines of it's own creation, but programmed to destruction instead of creation.
After only a few years of combat mankind has nearly been extincted.
Now you are the only one capable of saviving everybody - at least everybody that is still alive.
BUT: you are a commander who just came out of cryostasis. Frozen deep for insubordiantion with no clue of the current situation or possibilities.
Now it's your turn...
- Raszul

[EDIT]
Comments
  • i use a model with the images applied as textures for both - LoadingScreen and CampaignMenue Background

Changelog
  • cleaned the thread (from my posts)
  • advanced this post
  • added spoiler
  • updated this post
[/EDIT]

Attachments

• LoadingScreen.jpg
    LoadingScreen.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 162
  • CampaignScreen.jpg
    CampaignScreen.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Level 6
Do you really believe what you just said? - If so, then i'll take it as a comliment. As you appearently took my editing skills as those of another (asuming: better) person.

Ok, i'll explain a bit about the how i did this:

1st i took about 5 pictures of babes on which a part of them looked usefull. (Legs, torso, hip, right arm+left lower arm, head)
Cut em out and put them together. That step required quite much pixel-accurate erasing, reshaping and gap-filling.

2nd i cut out and modified the weapon. Recolored it, reshaped it and made it fit onto her nicely.

3ed was looking for a nice background. I took this picture of the earth nearly untweaked.

The 4th and most difficult task was to find a way to put in some background information to the current situation and options without damaging the overall layout. Created those bars on my own (background, filling, border, text, blending options)

5th was the finetunng. i neatly removed and tweaed the images pixel by pixel until there was no spot left, that i didn't like. Then i played around with some blending options (decided for the red glow) put in the text and applied the blending (slighly modiefied) to the text as well.

The 6th and last step was saving it as high quality jpeg and putting it into this forum, so i could get some replies about it in order to improve it.

I hope you (and anyone else thinking the same way) got to accept that this is art - even though i haven't created everything on my own, i tweaked and merged many images into a new one - a process i would definitly call art. (if you don't then you shouldn't call a simple painting art - its mixing and tweaking of colors, using highly efficient tools - pens to create a work of art... - i know i might be overdoing, but i feel a little hurt in my pride as artist)

Level 6
i can send you the parts i created her from. let's see whether you (or any one else) is capable of putting her together.

Putting parts of different images with different lightsettings (angels, intensity, color) and different point of view together to form a person that fits is not that easy.

i haven't said that his is esceptional. I only wanted opinions about how to improve this screen -.-
I haven't looked for a discussion whether this is to be categorized as 'art'.

- Raszul

Level 9
I do not like the weapon...
And the angle the neck has considering the shoulders leave the sensation of a twisted spine... Painful, huh? I do no like the way the belly looks towards the left side - I know, that should have taken care of the lighting factor... Seems like a nasty paint spot... grrrrr...

Looks nice for a merge! Though it would need some more tweaks, I'd say you did pretty much a good job, as long as you managed to obtain the effect you wished.

Otherwise... hmm... the babe is too hot for the W3 graphical engine... :cry: So sad,,,

Level 32
The red outline of your cyberbabe's silhouette is a bit distracting (IMO). Could you loose the red and somehow soften the transition to the black background?

Also in my opinion, the techniques you used are entirely valid- cnp or not, simply give credit to the original sources (as you have already done) and make the image work for YOU.

Thanks for the spoiler, the campaign sounds interesting.

[off-topic] It may be difficult (if not impossible) to satisfy the purists. Artists possessing a great deal of talent usually frown on ANY copy and paste techniques: just try to modify those imported graphical elements as much as you possibly can, and also strive to improve your freehand skills.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

The color schemes of the clothing don't match, and the right arm is very messy, you can see how you took two pieces and blurred them together.

Also, the top half of the body is very blurry in comparison to the bottom part, which had remained untouched from the base art.

Status
Not open for further replies.