• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Camera Height Over very Lowered Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi,
I've been working on a Dwarven mine themed map and as such I have included several areas where the terrain is greatly lowered to form deep gorges and abyssal pits. I was wondering if there is a way to keep the game cameras height at a constant level so that it does not dip way down when you scroll over these pits. If anyone can tell me a way to deal with this, I would be very appreciative! Thank you!

full

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I've been working on a Dwarven mine themed map and as such I have included several areas where the terrain is greatly lowered to form deep gorges and abyssal pits. I was wondering if there is a way to keep the game cameras height at a constant level so that it does not dip way down when you scroll over these pits. If anyone can tell me a way to deal with this, I would be very appreciative! Thank you!
Tried setting the water height mesh to a fixed level? Even if the water layer is turned off, the water mesh still affects targeting circles (which might make this a bad idea).

Otherwise place invisible doodads/destructables that affect the flying overlay as the camera should track that.

Level 10
Hah! yeah, I don't want to screw with the water, its already jacked up as it is lol! But I'll give the destructable idea a try. I saw the fly over height stat but thought it only effected the units fly height and not the camera height. I shall report back my findings, thanks!

EDIT: Just tried a few heights with some large patches of destructables and they didn't effect camera height. I'll try some more heights when I get back from work

Last edited:
Level 22
You could try to make a periodic trigger to adjust the camera Z offset, in order to maintain the Target Z to a constant value.
But i guess you don't want a camera with a constant altitude since you have several walkable levels, you just want it to ignore the pits...
If the camera is locked to a unit, it's very simple to do what you want, but if the camera is free it seems quite complicated...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.