• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Camera and visibility of an effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

A model is only visible if its origin is within the current camera bounds, I think.

Example: One road model with the length of the whole map with center at the very middle
This model will now only be visible if the current camera includes the center of the model. Else it will not show up.
I am not sure what has to be in the camera focus, whether it is the pivot point, the model extends, ...

That's related to wc3 only showing/rendering stuff you actually can see. Imagine wc3 would render everything of a map, it would crash.
You can also notice this when playing a map with many units at the map at once.
View battle -> frame rate drop
Go anywhere calm -> frame rate increases again

I don't give any guarantee the stuff above is correct.
It is all based on my experiences.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Alright, I managed to do the following:

I made a model from a texture ( in Magos by default) and added a big size to it.
After adding a collision shape and calculating extends it shows when if the unit center is not in your current camera bounds.

So yes, if you add a plane and collision shape ( is it required for extends?) and the calculating extends it should show up.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

However, let's hope it influences particles, too. Else there would be a workaround needed.

Could you try just adding a big plane and then calulcating extends, without collision shape ?
I am interested whether that works, too, but i just messed up my wc3 directoy, SO I cannot do it myself

Status
Not open for further replies.