• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Button replacement after unit upgrade not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not: I have created several units which can be upgraded to another unit using a different model, like the troll headhunters/berserks do. Its a general upgrade that affects multiple units at a time, each using a own version of the ability but each the same upgrade. Its basically the chaos upgrade from the orc campaign in the original game, affecting more/different units. So you can upgrade troll headhunters and berserks to chaos versions, and also normal berserks to chaos berserks. Everything is working just fine except for the command buttons. Unlike the command buttons from the upgradable, original units from blizz, mine show up in the buildings' construction dialog no matter if the upgrade is already researched or not, you even can build them if you don't forbid that via tech requirements(which original units, like the normal berserks, do not have!)...if you do, the buttons will be greyed out but will show up anyway.
If i remove the upgraded versions from the buildings contruction list, the buttons won't show up even if the upgrade is researched, plus blizz didn't do so either.
As far as i know, i have done everything as it is supposed to be, exspecially the chaos headhunters/berserks are exact copies of the orignals (except for the models, buttons and referencies), for testing purposes. The abilites and upgrades i am using are exact copies, except for the referencies, again.
I can't see where the problem is, i guess this must be a bug or i am completely blind/stupid:wink:

I have been woking around that problem by using upgraded versions of the production building, with same stats/names but different build options, they upgrade simultaneously with the units. But thats just annoying and complicated and if use that method with the headhunters, i will need 4(!) different kinds of barracks, which is kinda stupid.:sad:

Level 11
the final result you want is for the units to be totally replaced after the upgrade right?

There is a function somewhere in that trigger list that edits the units within a building, I cant recall totally from memory right now, but i remember seeing something like that

I would belive it would be something along those lines since training units isnt an ability technically

Level 1
Well i would be glad if i hadn't have to use triggers for it since i didn't look too deep inside that and don't want to. Also i wonder why it works for the original units from blizz that are in the game already, i doubt they have used triggers for it.

Level 11
best way to do that is open up their maps, since none of them are protected.

Compair what they did to what your doing

Level 1
I'm not quite sure you fully understand me here :) They are using those functions for standard units like the headhunters or the steamtanks and so on, which are in the standard melee object set. Except for theirs are working correctly and mine don't, still i use EXACTLY the same stuff.

None of the melee maps that come with the game has any trigger that could possibly have something to do with that, still on every single melee map you can build a barracks and it won't offer you a berserks unless you research the upgrade. So its definetely not a trigger thing.

Level 11
true, wasnt thinking clearly. But if yours are setup just like blizzards, there has to be something that is being overlooked... could make 10001 guesses, but its hard to debug without seeing whats really going on, ya know?

Level 1
Yeah well i was thinking maybe its just a bug or something, dunno. would be interesting to know how it works for other people, sure i'm not the only one that created upgradable units.

Level 6
None of the melee maps that come with the game has any trigger that could possibly have something to do with that, still on every single melee map you can build a barracks and it won't offer you a berserks unless you research the upgrade. So its definetely not a trigger thing.

that's not what he meant. he meant look into the campaign map (when you control grom's forces against cenarius). you need something to extract files from war3.mpq (i recomend a mpq plugin for total commander)
path is war3.mpq -> Maps/Campaign/Orc07.w3m (or 06, i'm not sure)

Level 1
The "Chaos" conversion abilities are also stored in the normal map object sets. Plus, normal melee units like the headhunters use the same abilities for the replacement. Anyway, I will try that and look into those maps, but i doubt i will find anything. Again, basic units use those abilities, they don't have anything to do with the campaign mission or with the chaos orc stuff, its just the same kind of function/ability.
I wonder if noone has any experience with this, i mean thats a very usual idea, so i cant be the only one who had that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.