• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bumbumbum D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So okay it seems that nobody will actually be keeping any maps from what I see on BNet (unless you do actually keep them)
Every time you log out you have to re-download melee maps you want to play.
SO! I was wondering if anyone would happen to know if when the editor comes out during beta will our maps that we start stay? or be wiped when the actual release comes out?
Just something that is bugging me :O
Wondered if anyone knew

Last edited:
Level 12
Uhm, every map you have stays with you... There's a maps folder now in your My Documents folder under another folder called "StarCraft II Beta". There is also a maps folder that appears during play in your "C:/Program Files/StarCraft II Beta" folder, but that's a temporary folder for scripting and such and does not actually contain the map.

Level 2
Uhm I dont know about you but when I open that maps folder I only find a cache folder and they contain a "hardtile.bin" everyone one of them and ive opened it and I only see like SOH NUL NUL NUL NUL... etc
Not very mappy to me, though I could be wrong
Do melee maps just not stay with you?

Level 22
The maps are in 2 folders:

User\AppData\Local\Blizzard Ent\Bnet\Cache - the actual maps numbered f34f34f4349389093 and the Documents\SC2\Cache\Maps\ which caches the maps that you have played. In other words, Documents\ doesnt matter cause the file can appear there any time you play the map. You need to keep your s2ma file. But before the GE is out, it's hard to tell for sure how a saved map filr will look, I guess it is the ones in User\AppData\...

Level 2
that would be an odd place lol
Well if you think about it this would stop other people trying to post other peoples maps up and attempting to take credit, uhm I heard they r adding libraries to map editing so multiple people can work on maps at once and having the map on bnet and uploading the changes seems more logical then anything else I can think of.
I think it would attempt to stop hacking of maps
Idk just tossing ideas out I could just be blind and not be able find the actual maps

and Edit: I reread TheTerran's post I see it
but its confusing cuz it has SMV SML and SMH
and are those seriously all maps? each folder?

Level 12
Well, all I know is that maps save under the s2ma filename. I believe I once saw a maps folder in base.SC2Assets, but can't confirm as I'm on linux atm.

Level 2
lol yeah its a little drawn out
But ok! So I was thinking! If you can buy maps why would they let you permanently keep them on your computer that would just be screaming SHARE ME! SHARE ME! IM FREE
So why not let Bnet handle all of the map holding and just upload it to you?

Level 12
lol yeah its a little drawn out
But ok! So I was thinking! If you can buy maps why would they let you permanently keep them on your computer that would just be screaming SHARE ME! SHARE ME! IM FREE
So why not let Bnet handle all of the map holding and just upload it to you?

As I've stated in other threads.
You can buy maps and keep them on your computer.
If you log in as you, the person who baught the map, then you can play it.
If you log in as someone else, who hasn't yet baughten the map, they can't play it.
If you log in as someone ELSE, who HAS baught the map but not on your computer, they can play it without purchasing it again.

Buying a map really counts as buying a license to it. With that license you can play it wherever, it just so happens that it downloads to play it, but you can't take advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.