• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Thoughts on final release pointers/refs + RAM limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
1. Just wondering if anyone knew or thinks or hopes that pointers are returning/being replaced by refs for Galaxy for the final version.

2. Also I was wondering what people think about the RAM limit. Anyone think it'll increase for the final version?

These 2 things are the things that will determine whether or not I buy SC2 : P, lol.

A third thing, not as important, is me wondering what they will do with the new/delete keywords. Will they let us allocate memory on a whim? o-o

A fourth thing is what they will do with hashtables.

A fifth thing is what they will finally decide to do with the banks (the tiny amount of memory you are allowed to use makes me cry). I mean, if they upped it to 1 meg or something per map, that'd probably be more than anyone would ever need (that'd be a massive amount). Memory is so cheap... I don't see why they wouldn't do that ^.^.

A sixth thing is me wondering if they will add signed/unsigned... if you look at, for example, the ARGB library, Vexorian has to go through a lot of crap because unsigned integers aren't supported ; |.

Another one is longs (like super super longs)... people have to go through a lot of crap with string calculators for larger integers because only integers are supported /cry.

In fact as SC2 comes out, it'd be nice if someone who bought it could reply to this post letting us know what they decided to do for the final release ^.^.

I know I'm not alone in thinking that 2 megs of RAM is not a lot to work with... in fact it's almost nothing. I also know I'm not alone in thinking that a lack of pointers will result in hardcore stacks/lists/queues/2D arrays for passing around structures : (.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
1. I seriously doubt cause they probably were too cumbersom to compile or else were dangerous.

2. SC2 has the same RAM limit as all 32 bit aplications.

3. Highly unlikly.

4. They are already there in the form of data tables although a version with integer keys would be nice.

5. Just make your maps better, it is already 1000 times better than WC3.

6. Most scripting languages like python and java do not support this so I see no reason for galaxy to.

7. Then those people have serious problems, cause you just use an array and emulate the behaviour of them like how the computer does.

8. SC2 uses far more than 2 megabytes of RAM. If you mean the virtual machine for the scripting engine, then you will just have to write better.

Level 13
You can always write better code; the maps I see that run into VM memory limits and thread limits (and subsequently break due to errors) do so inexcusably. However, there is a very real limit to what you can do with even the best code. This concerns me. Also, the bank sizes are uncomfortably small, even when using a compression system like DataCraft.

Level 31
My issue with their limits is that they are thinking about super premium maps, but then they introduce limits that make these super premium maps impossible to do ... I can code just fine and w/e, but there is in fact a very real limit as Dark.Revenant stated. I doubt most maps would run into a 2 meg limit, but I mean seriously... 2 megs really is nothing >.<... 100 megs would still be cheap and would make it so there are virtually no limits... same goes for databanks (2 meg size would probably be way more than enough for each player (local only) and is hardly any memory ^.^).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I would like to point out that entire games used to be written in under 2 MB, including the graphics. I have made a tetris game with using probably only 1/5000th of the limit and that features large blocks of memory allocation. If your map is hitting the limit you probably have some serious optimization issues.

If people had 1 MB banks it would take 5-10 minutes for the map to start if you are playing with someone who has very slow upload. For each player that is 1 MB to everyone else so 8 MB in total per person both upload and download. Yes maybe for you with your 32 mbps upload it will not be a problem but for most of the people around the world on ADSL type technology it is completly unplyable. I do agree that the size should be rasied to 2-4 kilobytes per person, as that is a ton of space.

Extending the 2 MB limit would mean remaking the entire virtual machine and would probably also make it slower due to more bytes per instruction having to be recalled from RAM.

Level 19
I had in mind some custom enumeration system which creates a large 3d array and every time a unit enters a new cell it would change the array value so enumerating would be way faster
is it still possible to make something like this right now with the memory limit and without pointers? :/
I really don't understand why the put all these limitations in it
What did happen to the x sec periodic timer shit anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.