• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Buff and effect explanation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi guys, I'm currently working on something, and I really want to understand how the whole buff and effects work.

I'm using Shadow Strike. Now everyone knows that this spell already uses a buff that shows up on the enemy unit. Sadly, if you switch the buff, it automatically removes it's default buff and doesn't seem to accept any buff you replace it with. Could anyone explain why this is happening and how to fix this?

I would like an answer to my other question. What is the difference between a buff and an effect? They both seem to do the same thing in my opinion.

Thank you once again!

Mjllonir

Level 3
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I think a buff is what goes on a unit, and a unit effects the terrain. Also If I understand what your saying about Shadow Strike and removing all effects from it, ie: make it not show the demon thing above the unit, that will not make it do nothing. If a spell has no effects at all it defaults to its base ability. So you need to make a new effect to change it, or make it real small to make it invisible. Did this help at all? Hope so :cool:

Level 22
a buff is a thing that is stuck to the unit, debuff is the negativ and buff usally positive. Changing effects and name of the buff doesnt make any differens but removing the effect or the buff can have consecvenses, scale the effect down as rabid told ya or trigger it

Status
Not open for further replies.