• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNSilithidDevourer

Contents

BTNSilithidDevourer (Icon)

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
I've been trying to paste the link into the "Assets" box but it doesn't seem to work :S

Is there something I'm missing? Like does it need to be approved first, or...? Still trying to figure out this new Hive resource system, haha

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
Well, basically:

- Work on a separate layer so you can fix mistakes or go back to the original.
- Pick colours from the source image; mid-tones, shadows and highlights. Try to keep a restricted colour palette.
- Simplify the shapes to give a clear picture, round off any hard edges from the polygonal model that make it look artificial.
- Fix problems with the model's texture, such as seams, or places where light is coming from the wrong direction.
- Try to give the face as much expression as you can to really communicate the character.

I tend to work large (256x256), then shrink it down to 64x64. Figure out what details will be lost when resizing and only include the most important ones.

Of course, if you've got a graphics tablet it'll make any digital art a whole lot easier. The most popular is Wacom, entry-level ones are around $150 where I live. It works fine with Photoshop, I don't have any real experience with GIMP but apparently it uses Pen Pressure as well.

I can post the .PSD for this one (with the layers), if you'd find that helpful?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Well, basically:

- Work on a separate layer so you can fix mistakes or go back to the original.
- Pick colours from the source image; mid-tones, shadows and highlights. Try to keep a restricted colour palette.
- Simplify the shapes to give a clear picture, round off any hard edges from the polygonal model that make it look artificial.
- Fix problems with the model's texture, such as seams, or places where light is coming from the wrong direction.
- Try to give the face as much expression as you can to really communicate the character.

I tend to work large (256x256), then shrink it down to 64x64. Figure out what details will be lost when resizing and only include the most important ones.

Of course, if you've got a graphics tablet it'll make any digital art a whole lot easier. The most popular is Wacom, entry-level ones are around $150 where I live. It works fine with Photoshop, I don't have any real experience with GIMP but apparently it uses Pen Pressure as well.

I can post the .PSD for this one (with the layers), if you'd find that helpful?
Woot!

Will comment more, but if .psd's can be read in GIMP then sure, hit me up.