1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Brick-Breaker

Submitted by Tirlititi
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
BRICK-BREAKER
Created by Tirlititi

This is a map I made for a contest.
It's a classical Breakout-style game and I think that's all about it.

You move your bat with the arrow keys or the right-click to reflect the balls and break the bricks. You can play from 1 to 4 players, with or without computers.

Features :
There are 2 main modes, the Adventure mode and the Custom mode.
In the first, you follow on several predefined levels.
In the second, you choose your level and its parameters.
You can also create and edit levels by placing bricks in an area.
Your bat has 4 spells which can be learned by destroying bricks and gaining experience.
You're also helped by bonuses that fall from the bricks you destroy.
And there are several kinds of bricks and balls with different properties.

I let you discover the rest in game. Enjoy :).

Screenshots and video :
Game
[​IMG]

Menu
[​IMG]

Editor
[​IMG]

Boss
[​IMG]

Ending Cinematic
[​IMG]

Boss Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho8HVWxKX4c

Changelog :
Changelog
Version 1.03 :
Added 2 kinds of powerups.
Added a new kind of ball.
Added an IA.
Added a spellbook for camera configuration.
Added an option for randomly generated levels.
The command "-Help" is now "-Edit".
Fixed various bugs.

Version 1.02 :
Fixed bugs in the boss level.
Added text tags when you pick power-ups.
Decreased the difficulty of few levels.

Version 1.01 :
Fixed a bug with fog.

Credits :
All that is not Blizzard's work is mine in this map. You won't be able to get the ressources with the WE but you can ask me or directly take them with a MPQ browser : they are free to use/edit as long as you credit me as the author.

Known bugs :
- Bats are often unusable in loaded games.
- Score texts' size depends on configuration and they may look bad.

Keywords:
Brick, Breaker, Breakout, classic, arcade, ball, vintage
Contents

Brick Breaker (Map)

Reviews
18:17, 7th Sep 2011 Vengeancekael: Status: Approved 15th september 2011 Vengeancekael: Review: Gameplay: The map can never get boring, with all the possibilities, the modes, the game speed changes, the different types of levels and even...
  1. 18:17, 7th Sep 2011
    Vengeancekael: Status: Approved

15th september 2011
    Vengeancekael:
    Review:

Gameplay:

The map can never get boring, with all the possibilities, the modes, the game speed changes, the different types of levels and even different types of bricks.
    The adventure mode is kinda neat, it lets you play a quick match really quickly.
    The custom game mode is a really nice, which lets you customize the ball speed, the area size, etc.
    However the best part of the gameplay is the editor. The player has a lot of tools, different types of bricks, ones with more or less hp, ones with special abilities, etc.
    The hotkeys are also convenient.

Terrain:

You've used really neat models for the bricks and walls, however it would have been nice if you had used a custom terrain tile for the background. However since this is a mini-game, you'd have to keep the file size really low.

Other:

The necessary information is in the quest log, with all the different modes and controls.
    However colors would make the text more readable.
    Also create a floating text when you get a power-up.
    And when you pick a normal sized area, you can't see everything, when the ball for example goes completely up, you can only see power-ups falling down, but not where the ball is.

Overall:

A really neat, fun and advanced mini-game, which needs but only some improvements to make it perfect.

Rating: 4/5

2. MagiC_AntO.

MagiC_AntO.

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ooooh ! Original ; i will test now !

3. Blood Raven

Blood Raven

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    huh, everything is creatable in WC3 i see :D
    we have tetris, roller coaster creator, cards... now we have brick breaker :D
    anyway: some suggestions: make the map smaller, so it fits with the size of the breaker zone and maybe you change the tileset not to "dirt", cuz it is kinda boring...
    Great map anyway, but why are there 2 balls? :eek:

4. Tirlititi

Tirlititi

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I think I chose 64x64 as a map size. Even if 32x32 should be ok (the breaker zone can have different sizes), I prefer leaving me a little margin. But I'll think about it.

I totally agree with you about the terrain. I'll try to change the tilesets in the next version but I'm under Linux and it's hard to find a configuration that makes the Worldedit works, so I can't guarantee anything (same problem for map size, by the way). I think I'll find a solution but I won't make a wonderful landscape anyway.

About that, the map is kinda "protected" : I mostly use a MPQ Browser to edit it. The only thing I have and that you can't access is the uncompiled vjass map's script. I can give it to anyone who ask me, though.

Thanks for the advices. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  5. Vladadamm

Vladadamm

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Very nice map !

5/5 ^^

6. samljh

samljh

Resources:
    Resources:
    i tried it as a full house game. I think it's a decent map, but my friends keep on asking if there is any alternate movement controls.

7. Tirlititi

Tirlititi

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Up.

I made a boss level (that can't be really edited, unfortunatly) and some other little things. I rebalanced the other levels, added a new command, you don't restart the Adventure mode from the beginning when you give up anymore...
    Sorry but I'm terrible for changelogs.

I'll add a key control system and a terrain variation system soon, but the Boss took a lot of work.

8. KuWe

KuWe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Awesome map! I liked the gameplay and the level editor is nice feature. But I think you should add a bit variation to the background terrain because it looks so boring. Also adding somewhat logical hotkeys to spells would be nice (eg. QWER).

9. Tirlititi

Tirlititi

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm dumb. I use an AZERTY keyboard and I didn't think that it wasn't the standart... Thanks for pointing it, I hope it'll be better now.

So, I updated again : I added a terrain generator which activates itself when you enter a game and I think it's not so ugly (less than the previous terrain at least :goblin_good_job:).
    I also made a keyboard system : you can control your bat with both right-click and arrow keys but the camera automatically follows your bat and you can't move it manually. However, you can type "-arrow" for controlling your bat with right-click only and having a free camera.
    And I fixed few bugs.

Unless someone has great ideas for additionnal stuff (or if you find a bad bug), this may be my final version.

10. Vladadamm

Vladadamm

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    hmm, why not "E R T Y" hotkeys, with this, no problem for all.

11. Tirlititi

Tirlititi

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I use the MPQ's id for a french versions : french people have the same hotkeys than before (with 1 or 2 exceptions) while I put QWER for the others. Since AZERTY seems to be a french weirdery, I guess it's ok for all now.

12. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Review:

Gameplay:

The map can never get boring, with all the possibilities, the modes, the game speed changes, the different types of levels and even different types of bricks.
    The adventure mode is kinda neat, it lets you play a quick match really quickly.
    The custom game mode is a really nice, which lets you customize the ball speed, the area size, etc.
    However the best part of the gameplay is the editor. The player has a lot of tools, different types of bricks, ones with more or less hp, ones with special abilities, etc.
    The hotkeys are also convenient.

Terrain:

You've used really neat models for the bricks and walls, however it would have been nice if you had used a custom terrain tile for the background. However since this is a mini-game, you'd have to keep the file size really low.

Other:

The necessary information is in the quest log, with all the different modes and controls.
    However colors would make the text more readable.
    Also create a floating text when you get a power-up.
    And when you pick a normal sized area, you can't see everything, when the ball for example goes completely up, you can only see power-ups falling down, but not where the ball is.

Overall:

A really neat, fun and advanced mini-game, which needs but only some improvements to make it perfect.

Rating: 4/5

13. Tirlititi

Tirlititi

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot for this fast and good review. I'm feeling lucky when I see that other maps sometimes waiting years for a review.

I just uploaded a bug fix version : I saw a bug in the boss level making him impossible to defeat if you don't kill bricks in some order. I hope he doesn't have flaw anymore.
    I also took advantage of it to add colors in quests and a perspective from top. It is a pain to manage the camera distance with this view, though...

EDIT : You should have told me about that ugly bug that makes all white...
    Sorry but under Linux (wine), fog is reversed for some reason and I couldn't see any bug in my CPU...
    It's a bug I noticed in Pudge Wars and JetPack in the other way. I'll pay more attention to fog functions in the future.
    Sorry again.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  14. trojans009

trojans009

Resources:
    Resources:
    Interesting, fascinating

I never really tried it but it seems interesting, A tetris game in WC3 will try this with some friends.

[​IMG]

15. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Pretty nice idea! Pretty fun gameplay! Pretty good overall! 4/5

16. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Yay updated! :D

17. Pitakebab

Pitakebab

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Seems like lighting of the map is corrupted or something. Everything is dark and black and it's nearly impossible to play :/

18. Tirlititi

Tirlititi

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Pfffff, I'm so stupid.

I fixed that bug in the last version and now it comes back... Somehow I used the previous version.
    It should be fixed now (I can't see this bug on my computer).

Thanks a bunch for pointing it out.

19. Pitakebab

Pitakebab

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah now it works:) very fun and well executed but kinda difficult:p