• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Boxer Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, I have a question regarding the emulator "Boxer". I was able to get Warcraft 2 and BTDP up and running no problem. I downloaded Morecraft, but I couldn't figure out how to get the maps into the .exe file for Warcraft 2. I don't even know if it's possible to mod/alter ROMs like that. Anybody have anything? I am running Boxer on a Mac with an OS of 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Windows user here but hey, nobody's perfect.
:wink:

I couldn't figure out how to get the maps into the .exe file for Warcraft 2.
Imho you do not need to. Warcraft II should be able to load PUDs as external files.

The demo version of MoreCraft comes as an installable/executable file for MS-DOS. Its contents can be extracted to any folder with any good archive extractor (for Windows OSes, 7-Zip can do it). Therefore all you would have to do imho is to copy the extracted folders containing the PUD (+txt) files where the other official external Warcraft II ones already are on your Mac.

More info:
Microforum - Entertainment - MoreCraft - About PUDs

I don't even know if it's possible to mod/alter ROMs like that.
ROMs? What ROMs?

Are you talking about DMG archives by chance?

I have a question regarding the emulator "Boxer".
Is Boxer some kind of front-end for DOSBox?

About MoreCraft, for those who are curious:
Microforum - Entertainment - MoreCraft

Last edited:
Level 3
Thanks for the link. I tried re-downloading it and opening it (thinking I may have gotten a bad version). I ran into an issue where it wanted me to overwrite a bunch of files, and when I did that and it asked me if I wanted to run the program, I clicked yes and it bumped me back to the first file I had overwritten. So for some reason I'm stuck in a loop. I'm trying to run it in Boxer (which is pretty much a streamlined DOSBox app I got off Emuparadise before it got taken down, since you were asking). The ROMs I was talking about was the Warcraft 2 ROM/.zip file I downloaded off of Emuparadise and ran through Boxer. I was under the impression that Morecraft was not a standalone application and I had to open it within the Warcraft 2 application/ROM. But seeing as how there's a demo version of the game, it seems to me that it IS a standalone application. I'm just wondering why it doesn't seem to want to open when I run it through Boxer.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Warcraft II and MoreCraft are not abandonware afaik (whatever that word means from a legal point of view). THW does not provide support for such downloads. Maybe someday Blizzard will make the original unmodified MS-DOS version of Warcraft II (ToD+BDP) a free download from their servers, if there are enough requests for it on the Battle.net forums?

I tried re-downloading it and opening it (thinking I may have gotten a bad version). I ran into an issue where it wanted me to overwrite a bunch of files
The contents of the file MCRAFTDM.EXE, which is the demo version of MoreCraft, can be extracted with 7-Zip to any empty folder, and no file will be overwritten.

I'm trying to run it in Boxer (which is pretty much a streamlined DOSBox app I got off Emuparadise before it got taken down
Boxer: The DOS game emulator that’s fit for your Mac.

The ROMs I was talking about was the Warcraft 2 ROM/.zip file
A ZIP archive is not a ROM file.

I was under the impression that Morecraft was not a standalone application and I had to open it within the Warcraft 2 application/ROM. But seeing as how there's a demo version of the game, it seems to me that it IS a standalone application.
MoreCraft is an addon, and more precisely a collection of PUD files for Warcraft II. The demo version of MoreCraft contains a subset of the levels found in the full version. Neither the demo version nor the full version of MoreCraft can be run as standalone games. MoreCraft requires the registered version of Warcraft II, which is stated here.

Level 3
Thanks for telling me about 7zip. I saw it was a windows only application, but the website had a link to an application called Keka that is the Mac OS equivalent. My question is if I still need to extract the files. The file path is Desktop>Drawings>Morecraft>Games>Demos. I can see all the .puds, .txt files, etc. here. Since I can already see the files, does that mean they're already extracted? I tried to move all the .pud files into the warcraft 2 custom maps folder (the one that came with the ROM), but they didn't appear in the game. I also tried opening an individual .pud file on it's own from the file path to see what would happen, but it wouldn't let me run it in Boxer. It's not as easy as just dragging and dropping it into the game since I'm emulating everything. My guess is I'm doing something wrong with the file path because they aren't appearing in game. There's also an alternate menu in the screenshots for Morecraft that I have no idea how to access. Also sorry for the confusion with me calling a ROM file a .zip file. The reason I equated the two was because when I had first downloaded the Warcraft 2 ROM on Emuparadise, I had to unzip it before importing it to Boxer. Yeah, I could have just downloaded the Battle.net edition from Blizzard and saved myself all the trouble, but I was trying to save money and my friend who recommended Emuparadise to me said it was totally legal since they were older games. There's a sound problem with BtDP where you can't hear sound effects, just the music and you can't change whatever is causing it in the options menu, but I can probably attribute that to me setting up the sound system wrong because I'm a noob. I also could't get the level skip cheat to work properly, which is another issue with the cracked version I got (I feel like calling it cracked is accurate because it's not a perfect emulation). I think there were also some AI issues, but I don't know if that's because the ROM is broken or the retail version of the game was already broken. It was especially weird because the ToD emulation was perfect and I got it from the same website. All the sound effects and cheats worked great. Can you give me a step by step for how you set up Morecraft? That way I can pinpoint exactly where I went wrong when I was setting it up. Another question is are the .pud files optimized specifically with ToD or BtDP? Perhaps I put it in the wrong game's map folder, and that's why they aren't showing up.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] Can you give me a step by step for how you set up Morecraft? That way I can pinpoint exactly where I went wrong when I was setting it up. Another question is are the .pud files optimized specifically with ToD or BtDP? Perhaps I put it in the wrong game's map folder, and that's why they aren't showing up.
I can't because I do not use Boxer (which is a Mac only app afaik), and also because THW does not encourage the use of illegally downloaded software. I am referring here to the registered versions of WCII: ToD and BDP.

The readme.txt file from the contents of the now extracted MCRAFTDM.EXE file should have already answered your questions regarding manual installing/copying of the PUD files. It is also already explicitly mentioned in said readme.txt that MoreCraft needs the registered version of Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.

Again, I hope that someday Blizzard Entertainment will allow us to download for free and freely the original, unmodified MS-DOS versions of ToD and BDP from their own servers, as CUE/BIN files. In which case the downloads would then be available here on this page.

Maybe you will want to ask questions regarding Boxer and how to make old software work on modern hardware, on the Vogons forums? It is imho the best place to ask for such support.
VOGONS • Index page

Be aware that they, too, do not condone the use of illegally downloaded content.

[...] my friend who recommended Emuparadise to me said it was totally legal since they were older games. [...]
Your friend is imho very ill-informed about some serious subjects.
:wink:

You and your friend may be interested in this:
List of commercial video games released as freeware - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.