• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bourg Hivernal / Winter Town ( WT )

Here is a 1v1 map that I had made before the 4v4 mapping tournament "the little sister".
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/melee-mapping-contest-7-4v4.332255/
I make up my mind to put it to you for criticism :)

- Bourg Hivernal / Winter Town (WT) -

General Info:

Players: 1v1
Size: 96 x 88
Created for "Melee"

Neutral Buildings:

5 Goldmines
1 Shops
1 Market
2 Labs
1 Merco
1 Tavern

Creepcamps:

6 Green
10 Orange
2 Red
Previews
Contents

Bourg Hivernal / Winter Town ( WT ) (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Map Set to Awaiting update, for explanation see comment above. I doubleposted since I had trouble including images when trying to moderate the map.
mafe
Basically all the points I mentioned in my review above have been addressed and fixed/improved :) I'm not sure if I missed before or if it was only introduced with the new version, but: There are purely cosmetic changes to units/doodads. I'm not sure...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
This is a promising map, like it's bigger brother. Looks are fine (for exceptions see below). Layout too. Having 3 "contested" gold mines on the diagonal is something I haven seen before, and I like it. Islands as always will rarely be relevant though. Good to have the labs nearby.

Still there are several details which I do not like:
1. Creeproutes: normally after taking 2 creepcamps, player will expect that their first hero is lvl 2. This is not the case after taking 2 out the 3 green near the bases.
2. Since theses are also weak green camps, AoW- and militia-creeping is not really worth it, which nerfs hu and ne quite a lot.
3. I'm not a fan of using too many city buildings, since they can obstruct vision. For example, if players dont activate health bars, they might not even realize that there is a gnoll poacher (or the time which he will drop) here:
1638557251890.png

4. Gaps between buildings:
1638557313588.png

5. Bugged unpathable tiles (red) and ramp-cliff-transitions (orange). They are hard to redo, but still they can be highly irritating ingame:
1638557404053.png

6. In the south, the playable area come very close to the edges of the map, while in the north there is alot of space. Maybe considering modifying the map boundaries (unfortunately, some doodads would be removed in the process).
7. As used to be the case with the 4v4 version, some itemdrops are a little bit too strong, or the creepcamps are too weak: Here it is the merc camp and the market.
8. While the creepcamps are perfectly fine in terms of balance, there is not much variety in terms of creeps. It's bandits and dark wizards everywhere. Why not include some different kinds of creeps, like you did for the 4v4 version?

That's all for now. Imho 1 (unless it is intentional), 2, 4 and 5 should be improved/fixed

Level 12
Thank you @mafe for your feedback!
1 and 2/ I increase the level of green creep, actually a little low.
3 and 4/ I cleared the view at the level of the creeps for better visibility! For the 4th I had to abuse beers while making the map so as not to see all these spaces :p
5/ I tried and I believe I managed to improve this area
6/ I had a little trouble understanding what you meant, but I think I got it! suddenly, I reduced to the north and increase the map to the south! Tell me if it's better like that!
7 and 8/So I also modified the creeps, the diversity of some and complicated that of the merco and market as you suggest

Attachments

• Bourg Hivernal7.png
    Bourg Hivernal7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Bourg Hivernal8.png
    Bourg Hivernal8.png
    942.1 KB · Views: 22

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Basically all the points I mentioned in my review above have been addressed and fixed/improved :)

I'm not sure if I missed before or if it was only introduced with the new version, but: There are purely cosmetic changes to units/doodads. I'm not sure if it necessary, but ok.

Map approved.