• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BLP Lab v0.5.0

This tool originates from here

BLP Laboratory (short name is BLP Lab) is the application for viewing and converting image files.

Current version is 0.5.0 build 500

Features:
- Supports following file formats: BMP, JPG, TGA, PNG, BLP (supports BLP2 textures), DDS (supports non-complex textures);
- May convert multiple files at once;
- Can add/remove alpha channel when saving;
- Gives detailed information about opened image file;
- Provides additional file format options when saving;
- Can optimize BLP files to decrease their size (doesn't affect quality);
- May display alpha channel and transparency on image.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What's all those BLP settings for?
A: Check blplab_readme_eng.txt.

Version History:
  • Added BLP2 support for saving in paletted and DXTC format
  • Added DDS support for saving in DXTC format
  • Added TGA support for saving paletted images and with RLE
  • Added options for BLP2 format
  • Added options for DDS format
  • Added options for TGA fromat
  • Added options for PNG format
  • Added options for JPG format
  • Added displaying information for DDS format
  • Added displaying information for TGA format
  • Added displaying information for PNG format
  • Added displaying information for JPG format
  • Added hotkeys for zooming (Ctrl and +/- on numpad) and browsing files (Ctrl+arrows)
  • Extended PNG image support with paletted 8-bit format
  • Improved JPG image loading speed
  • Fixed bug with showing alpha bit depth on paletted BLP2 images
  • Fixed bug with Lanczos resizing algorithm
  • Fixed bug with moving maximized window

WARNING: publishing this program in other places without author's permission is prohibited. Contact with author to get permission.

Copyright © 2009-2010 Shadow Daemon (aka Spec).

Keywords:
blp, tga, png, bmp, jpg, dds, dxt, blp1, blp2, converter, optimizer, viewer, palette, compressed, laboratory, lab, swdn, spec
Contents

BLP Lab v0.5.0 (Binary)

Reviews
15:31, 1st Oct 2009 PurplePoot: Approved on wc3c; need I say more? hawk900: Actually approved? Was pending.

mXs

mXs

Level 1
how do i convert a file to .blp with this? i try but in We, when the map are charging a "error" message appears.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Must have correct mipmap count. The tool has broken mipmap logic. Set mipmaps to 16 to be safe. Basically it generates mipmaped BLP files (needed for model textures) and for those files to be valid all mipmap levels have to be valid. It will often be off by 1 with mipmap count so to be safe set it to 16.

Last edited:

mXs

mXs

Level 1
I can do that, but for blp2 only. The program does not save in blp1 format if it has not a "power of 2" dimension. I've tried to make that with other programs but it doesn't work too. How do i make all of that?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I can do that, but for blp2 only. The program does not save in blp1 format if it has not a "power of 2" dimension.
As far as I can tell WC3 supports non power of 2 textures. However it might only support them if your graphic card and driver support them, which is every graphic card for the last ~15 years. In any case this is a bug with BLP lab since it should not be preventing you from saving them as BLP1. WC3 will not load BLP2 as that is for World of Warcraft only.

You could always try Imperial BLP. The tool is quite error prone, lacking features and the version provided is buggy, however the BLP logic is better. For example one could open up any resolution RGB png file and save it as a BLP file which will work in game. It will automatically resize the image as appropriate, since WC3 will only use mipmap levels that are at most 512 pixels in either dimension.

For optimum performance and results it is recommended that your image dimensions are a power of 2. Modern GPU hardware will support non power of 2 images however there may be performance penalties and visual quality may be degraded due to mipmap dimensions having to round down.

Level 3
Do I export textures as blp or dds for the game to read? Also, once the texture is imported into the asset manager, how do I tell it to apply to my model?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Do I export textures as blp or dds for the game to read? Also, once the texture is imported into the asset manager, how do I tell it to apply to my model?
DDS. Use something like GIMP to export such files. Both DXT1 and DXT5 mode can be used.

BLP is supported for backwards compatibility, however it might not be optimal anymore.

Level 3
Is it possible to use it in command line? How?

If no, will there be any plan to support this feature?
or, is the source code open?

I really want to use it in command line.
thx.

EDIT: found the solution at #71 by _Guhun_ , I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Level 3
Not sure, it just works for me. Is 'swdn_blp.dll' in the same folder? Or perhaps you need to specify the number of bitmaps?
yes, i downloaded the three files (exe/dll/txt) and put them in the same folder.

i also tried setting the capability to windows 7, but no luck.