• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blood Gulch Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Here are the pictures of one of the bases for my first map: Halo: Combat Evolved: Blood Gulch. I know they aren't THAT great, especially the trees... I tried to add custom trees, but they didn't work, so meh. It's ment to be a playable map, and it's my first map/terrain, so treat me and my work kindly.

Oh yeah, NO BLIZZARD CLIFFS! WOOHOO!

Awwwm. I can't attach a picture twice...

Here's the link to the thread with Screenshots.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65951

The point of posting here is to get feedback on that specific area, usually people ignore posts in map threads saying 'give me feedback on the terrain'.
BTW, you used blizzard cliffs on the bases, so ... yeah. Even though there is no other way, but you still used them.
Oh, and, if I'm correct with which map on halo this is, it looked a lot greener.

Level 9
I agree. The map should look a bit greener/lighter in my opinion.

Also, rocks were a big part of Halo, since you could avoid gun fire by hiding behind them.

The Blizzard cliffs are just there for now, I'm going to make him some doodads that will be walkable, with mega tight collisions, so you'll feel like you're actually walking on them, not just having units' heights set.

Level 15
Yeah. Those cliffs are just placeholders. About the doodads, I'm going to, as Belgarath said, "take an artistic license" and add more doodads than the actual Halo map has. For those of you wondering why I decided to do Blood Gulch, it is because Halo: Combat Evolved was the best of the trilogy. Sure, Halo 2 and 3 both had better graphics, but I just liked the futuristic style of Halo one more than it's sequels. Oh, and on the actual Halo map, there is a problem: they have an orange tinted dirt, as opposed to light-brown. I wanted to use Barrens terrain, but it didn't look that good. Any suggestions?

Level 15
The only way for me to get a nice effect would be to use custom tilesets. The filesize is approximately 1 megabyte as it is.

Edit: I'm using some Lordaeron Summer tiles. They are coming out nicely to match the light dirt ingame, but the grass textures are still pending. Expect more screenshots real soon...

Edit2: Screenshots are uploaded! Check out my Halo CTF thread. First post has them, comment and leave feedback accordingly please!

Last edited:
Level 15
Does the Lordaeron Summer tileset look good with it though? I thought it turned out pretty nice.

Edit: And how about the new screenshots? Look at the first post in the same thread with the pictures... I've added LOTS of doodads. Rocks, river shrubbery (without the cattails), and trees. The artistic license Belgarath gave me made the terrain alot better than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.