• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Blood and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Blood and Fire v0.1

IN DEVELOPMENT

Link to map

Hattin_zps8bf8e306.jpeg

GOAL
The aim of this project is to create a map that plays out as a turn-based, tile, military-strategy game. The mechanical influences for this game are De Bellis Multitudinis (DBM), Warhammer Fantasy, Command & Colours, and of course Warcraft 3.

THEME
The theme of the map is fantasy. An issue being wrestled with is how to balance the fantasy elements with military strategy. On one end of the spectrum: armies are only differentiated by unit compositions and appearance (i.e. race); and on the other end: goblins ride rockets, dragons are everywhere, etc.

FEATURES
The below highlighted features attempt to create a new strategy game system in the WC3 engine.
  • Restricted tile movement - units can only move to adjacent square tiles
  • Army construction - choose and build your army at the beginning of the game
  • Morale - battle fatigue, based on units default morale, and affected by spells, skills, and combat results
  • Terrain - poor terrain (e.g. forests, marshes) affect combat
  • Phases - certain actions are limited to their respective phases
    1. Command - units can only move when ordered
    2. Magic - hero and unit spells restricted to this phase
    3. Ranged Combat
    4. Movement - units that were ordered during the Command phase can now advance, rotate, etc.
    5. Close Combat - resolve all possible melee in an order you see fit.

PROGRESS
Terrain: [||||||||||] 100%
Units: [||||||||||] 10%
Abilities: [||||||||||] 10%
Magic Phase: [||||||||||] 50%
Ranged Phase: [||||||||||] 0%
Movement Phase: [||||||||||] 70%
Combat Phase: [||||||||||] 50%
Rules Screen: [||||||||||] 0%
Miscellaneous: [||||||||||] 40%

SUPPORT
Decided to create this thread, so that I could track my development progress.
But more importantly, if anyone has comments, criticisms, suggestions, etc., I would really appreciate hearing it in this thread. Feel free to also send me a message.
Finally, if anyone wants to work together on this map, I would be more than happy to. Feel free to use what I have in the map for similar turn-based projects (if it is actually useful).
I am using icons and models provided by members of the Hive Workshop. I have my source list, but need to make a note. Until then, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.