1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Blizzard releases WarCraft 3 assets for StarCraft 2 modding

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Orcnet, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Until further notice. That said they will probably release them next month or so to the live server.

2. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can't wait for people to recreate these mods for sc2, all of them. Especially the custom made campaigns, which is not difficult to implement as far as I understand, basically there is a recreation campaign of Startcraft 1, into the Starcraft 2. Sc2 Mass Recall I just downloaded it, and installed it. Works like a charm! :)

3. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I highly doubt this will ever happen. The SC2 userbase is declining at a rapid rate. Arcade games remain in the lobby for hours, the client is just way too big for anyone interested in the f2p aspect and the editor is not accessable enough for the casual mapper.

After one week of playtesting Blizzard Arcade and playing a couple of maps there, I came to the conclusion that it sucks giant balls. I don't know what Blizzard was thinking. Making arcade f2p was the right move, but way too late to revive the mapping scene.

The only saving grace could be if LotV introduces new elements to the core gameplay that attracts new players (and casuals aswell) and there is a radical change to the Arcade. Then the mapping scene could profit from the newly fired popularity of SC2, probably reviving it long enough for good projects to generate a sustainable userbase.
    But I don't really believe in that. Blizzard seems hell-bent with their current implementation of Arcade and will not change it.

4. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yet they DID make us this offer. Which leaves to believe that there's plenty more changes to come, heck, why not changes to the editor itself?.
    Let's be more optimistic and look forward to what they're about to offer :)

5. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    With the rising competition of MOBA games and the overall declining playerbase in PC-gaming in general, I really doubt there will be a sudden explosion of popularity, unless priorities shift radically from e-sports to casual gaming.

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I highly doubt that seeing how people stream Gigabytes per day of video content.

It is mostly because there are no dedicated mappers anymore. Kids these days only want CoD and zombie apocalypse games.

7. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Maybe. But either way, I think the SC2 custom map community is dead and no ambitious project will ever revive it without some drastic marketing. Even in WC3 it is easier to fill a custom game. I wish I was joking. I sat in the Gaias lobby for like 10 minutes yesterday evening until it was full. Compared to that, I spent 30 minutes in multiple top-score RPGs (I think one of it was SC:Universe) before starting the games. Alone.

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yet I sat the other day in a SWAT Aftermath game for 3 hours and it did not fill. Obviously I did something else while waiting as I knew it would never start.

SCU is ancient history since the developers vanished into oblivion. Not only were they trying to blackmail Blizzard into adding impossible features to SC2, but they also developed a clunky gameplay model that made most JRPGs look like you could progress fast (basically it was near impossible to progress). The developers probably do not care seeing how they got to run off with all that crowd funding money and buy new houses and things.

Filling games is not really a problem in SC2. A game like Special Forces Elite 5 fills in ~1-2 minutes. The problem is there are no real quality custom maps in SC2 at the moment as no one bothers to make any.

9. Noya

Noya

Resources:
    Resources:
    According to whom?

Gabe Newel's states that Steam has seen an increase of 50 percent year-over-year.
    Nvidia keeps selling more PC Gaming stuff every year

I was under the impression that PC gaming is actually growing, maybe I have been looking at the wrong sources

10. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm not talking about the obvious 5 "go to" maps in SC2. I'm talking about the lobbys in general. It feels like the user base consists of players in the low-hundred at peak times. It's impossible to fill non-standard games.

You don't need to quote someone to claim that PC-gaming is not as big as it was 10 years ago. Almost all games get released for consoles and hardly ever get ported to PC. Even a blockbuster game like GTA V, took over a year to be released on PCs. And while the PC version of Dragon Age back in 2009 was still better than the console version, the console version of Dragon Age: Inquisition 5 years later was hands down better than the crappy PC port. The amount of PC releases every year get fewer and fewer and mostly boil down to indie games and low budget productions. Blizzard, Riot and Valve are almost the last bastions of triple-A PC releases.

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If you have a new map that is not old (was not yesterdays fad) and has a reasonably polished description it is not that hard to fill. I often see 8 player lobbies for entirely new maps fill in about 5-7 minutes odd.

Keep in mind the EU is a ghost town, all UK players use US servers and the rest of the EU does not play SC2 much. US also is a ghost town during EU peek times, it only is really active at US peek times for logical reasons.

The actual problem with PC gamming is the sort of games played and where. A large percentage of NVidia's high end products (gamming quality) are sold for commercial purposes to companies as they are the real users of GPU power (Titan series is a total flop for gammers as its main selling point, full speed double float computation, is only used by professional software).

Dedicated PC players generally play highly competitive games like MBOAs, and FPS. Most PC gammers play crappy games like on facebook or simple games like minecraft. PC gamers in developing countries play old games as that is all their systems can handle. A lot of modern kids don't bother with PC and rather play games on smartphones and consoles like the XBO and PS4.

There is a lot of money in PC gamming still, but not for silly or unique fun games. It is basically AAA or barely pay rent next month. Thus why games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc all have sex and violence (probably drugs as well in some from) in them so they can be classed as AAA despite not being that memorable a game (ask people in 10 years about Mass Effect and I doubt few will remember it).

12. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Not my observation, tbh.

Heart of the Swarm was released only two years ago. It's a real pathetic display of Blizzard's efforts that the community is almost dead only 2 years after the release of a major expansion. Due to the lobby mechanics, WC3 almost feels more alive than SC2 nowadays - and that is after almost 10 years. Also, I'm a european. I can not play at US peak times, so why should I even bother with this game then?

I think it's more the simplicity of console gaming that is attracting players. People don't want to deal with hardware and software issues. That is why Apple had a super-nova explosion in popularity after the first iPhone in 2007.
    It's ironic that SC2 and the PC in general share the same image problem: unstable, slow, hard to learn...

I just wanted to comment on Mass Effect here: The game was released in 2007 and is still a strong landmark. I highly doubt it will be forgotten in 10 years... especially with so few memorable AAA releases every year.
    There's literally nothing to play for a PC gamer currently (if you're not into MOBAs). There's several good kickstarters that will be released this year (Pillars of Eternity will hit the shelves next week), but not a single AAA release I care about.

13. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    SC2 has superior lobby mechanics to WC3. Unlike WC3 where 98% of games are empty ghost robot games, SC2 can filter for only active lobbies with 1 or more humans (not robots) waiting in them.

EU is a small place as most people cannot communicate with each other and few people even play computer games anymore. As such as an English player your only option is to play on US servers and try to do so around peek time. This applies to all games now that are not FPS (the most popular sort of game in UK).

SC2 is not unstable. It is surprisingly hard to crash.

Almost all AAA games hit all consoles now. Porting a game from PC to PS4 and XBO is like a weeks work at most thanks to the unified architecture they all use.

What Blizzard needs to consider is porting SC2 to XBO and PS4. I am pretty sure in the UK more people own PS4s/XBOs than they own PCs capable of running SC2 decently. All they need is a mouse and keyboard and they should be good to go. Especially if they can get mixed-play with PC gamers and free arcade to those systems I am sure SC2 popularity will skyrocket.

14. istvan921

istvan921

Resources:
    Resources:
    You are right about that one, even normal un-moded Warcraft 3 crashes quite often,but my modded Warcraft 3 crashes quite to often these days cause i had modified it way to much now.

15. Astromen2009

Astromen2009

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It would be awesome convert those models to Warcraft 3

16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The assets are now live.

17. istvan921

istvan921

Resources:
    Resources:
    Where? please give us a link.

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Here.
    Download and install StarCraft II (choose appropriate localization). The download is ~8-10 GB. Of this 600 MB odd is the WC3 assets.

19. Tya

Tya

Resources:
    Resources:
  20. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was hoping they'd look a lot more improved.