1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Fill your cup and take your pick among the maps best suited for this year's Hive Cup. The 6th Melee Mapping Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Blizzard releases WarCraft 3 assets for StarCraft 2 modding

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Orcnet, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Tya

Tya

Resources:
    Resources:
    I can't wait! I love sc2 mapping and I love wc3, so perfect!

2. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Awesome :) I expect to see some cool custom maps using this new eye-candy :thumbs_up:

3. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

What? yeah a lot of maps had wasted space but a lot also needed the space, like azeroth wars, dark ages of warcraft, gaias retaliation and tkok.

And ships/naga units are a need.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It did not really need the space... Being a FFA and all it was more for messing around than being taken seriously. I remember when I was Dalaran and my friend was the Demons so we allied and I let them out and we took over the rest of the map together.

Both could have optimized space more by re-using the same areas. They did not purely because they had no space. Most of the time I played TKoK over 50% of the map was empty anyway (they had more space than they could actually use).

5. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Azeroth Wars was fun. The terrain was actually one of its main spotlights — the Legacy Reborn version had the best mimicking of wc3's world I have known —, I'd argue it's actually the only plus, as I agree the balance of the game sucked, but it was still fun to play occasionally... and it wouldn't have been as fun without that terrain. E.g. the original Azeroth Wars Strategy by Augur had mediocre terrain: Quel'thalas was a mass of trees clearly placed through square selection on mono-textured landscape. The game was far less interesting then.

Another type of map that could need its size is that destined for roleplaying. People's lack of creativity in the latter days before I stopped playing wc3 makes a good counterargument. During the old days, sometimes not all the map was used. However, it felt realistic and people felt more free with the space available.

6. Tya

Tya

Resources:
    Resources:
    It legitimately doesn't feel the same, though!

Cell size in wc3 is 128*128. Average unit speed is 270. A unit moves at around 2.1 cells per second.

Cell size in sc2 is 1*1. Average unit speed is 2.25. Units move at around 2.25 cells per second (such numbers!). Then you've got game speed. SC2 is played at around 1.4x real time. You can just translate this into a flat 40% modifier onto unit move speed (since we're only comparing map sizes), resulting in sc2 units moving at 3.15 cells per real second.

So a wc3 unit will take roughly 120 seconds to traverse the map horizontally. A sc2 unit will take roughly 80 seconds.

I know that unit move speeds aren't exactly the same as map size, but it does contribute a lot to maps feeling smaller in sc2. Give every unit in wc3 a move speed of 400 (this is basically the average sc2 move speed) and you'll see first hand how much smaller every map feels just by virtue of move speed.

Then there's camera distance. I can't remember what the default wc3 camera distance is, but I think it's around 700? It's a lot further back in sc2 which, again, contributes to maps feeling smaller.

These are all solvable problems, but any map that wants to "feel" as big as maps are in wc3 would have to be designed from the ground up around that feeling!

I've spent the past 2 months working on wc3 recreations. Thought I'd share my thoughts on map sizes!

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    WC3 was also played at faster than 1:1 speed usually (everyone used fast and not normal). Although I agree that SC2 is likely faster, WC3 still was not that much slower. In SC2 you can alter game speed to whatever you want, be it 0.2 times or 3 times or even 100 times (as fast as possible).

True, SC2 was aimed at a fast paced RTS unlike WC3 which was more medium paced.

Two other factors making it feel smaller are the larger cliffs and the larger placement grid.

8. NhazUl

NhazUl

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Okay, I've found some portrait screenies:

fdds
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think some look better (the eredar, blademaster, paladin, mountain king, archmage, tauren chieftain, shadow hunter, demon hunter, priestess, treant and definitely phoenix, I finally see that the infernal was supposed to have a jack-o-lantern face, and the voidwalker is just scary). But others (doom guard, dreadlord, fel hound) look like they've stuck their muzzles into the camera, or look plain ugly (blood mage resembles Beyonce's ugly photo, also death knight, skeleton (that's one anatomically fucked-up skull), satyr and wtf did they do to the succubi). So it's a mixed result, I'd say.

9. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I agree with NhazUl, some are very neat but others are just half-arsed.

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I think some were completely re-made while others were based on the WC3 meshes. The more messed up ones probably were based on meshes as the WC3 meshes also were quite messed up (just no one cared as it was still early-ish 2000).

11. N.Knight

N.Knight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Apparently some are upto it already. I saw the blademaster and the paladin from the pics on XGM but they had wc3 animations.

12. Manoo

Manoo

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Is there are any easy way to export sc2 models (I never worked with galaxy editor)?

13. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    In theory there is. The editor has a built in archive browser so you can easily locate assets. The problem is that although it has an option to "export" it does not actually do anything next to close the window.

I hope that they fix this when they migrate to CASC.

Next to that you can use MPQEdit to extract them from the asset mods directly.

14. Manoo

Manoo

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Could anyone upload model mpqs, I know I'm asking to much, but I really need them. And paying 40 Euros just for models doesn't seems right for me, especially when they will be free after few months. (Don't get me wrong, but I just don't have time to play starcraft 2 nor space in computer, you know SSD...).

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Not that that is at all a problem with the rise of massive SSDs...

The main problem is that one cannot download them at all at the moment. The PTR has been removed due to a lack of resources to host it with (the servers were needed for something else).

16. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I agree that it would be possible to remake Gaias Retaliation on a 256x256 map. However, this leaves almost zero expandability (inside the same map, at least).
    However, this isn't the main issue for me.
    The real deal-breaker is the lack of different terrain tiles. In Gaias, I used 12 "full" terrain tiles and another 20 that didn't need a lot of variation based on two multi-tiles.

This allowed me to put every possible biome I need into a single map:
    Forests, cityscape tiles, multiple dungeon/building tiles, winter tiles, autumn/farmland tiles, swampland tiles.

In SC2, I would need to create a seperate map for every biome. And this heavily impacts the workflow. Plus, I feel that it destroys some immersion if everything is split up into multiple maps. I like the "all in one" feel of Gaias.

Needless to say, now that we will get medieval models in SC2, I'm interested to at least take a look into the editor again for the data editor alone. It would be cool to generate and replicate all the spells in the mighty data editor without any scripts involved at all. However, the steep learning curve and missing documentation is still a big turn-off for me.

Would be cool if someone was willing to assist me in my humble beginnings in the SC2 editor to recreate Gaias Retaliation in HD. But I can't promise I will stay for long. Really depends on how much fun I have in the editor.

The main issue I have with that idea is that even when the WC3 units get ported to SC2 by blizzard, we will still not have all the extra stuff that is needed to create a fantasy-styled RPG:
    - missile and buff SFX models (Sorry, no arrows for you, archers!)
    - no environmental models that fit a medieval setting (no medieval houses, wells, boxes, ships, etc. ... though at least this stuff can be imported or ported from WC3 [thanks to HQ resources in WC3 being popular, like sword & stone or B²m])
    - a unit that serves as the basis for item attachments ... call be insane, but the villager model was the greatest thing blizzard ever added to WC3.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  17. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You could use decalls on the trerrain to achieve additional variation. Also unlike WC3 you can mix and match tiles to some extent so you do not need as many.

They were ported in low quality? Some are high quality I thought.

They were already ported? You seem to be missing the part that the WC3 mod contains practically everything from WC3, although only some of it was re-mastered. It can at least be used as a place holder until a improved "High Quality" version is done.

The attachment system is superior to WC3 in that you can attach attachments to attachments as well as scale them appropriately or do a whole host of other effects.

18. Tya

Tya

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yep, and nothing really stops you from just importing the villager model too.

19. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I see... looks like I need to install SC2 again and take another look into this game.

But man, all the work that would be required to recreate all that content... :(

20. Manoo

Manoo

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    So as I understand, sc2 ptr is turn-ed off?