• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BlackShogun's Wave Spells

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
==Dragon Roar==
This is my first Jass spell
-Credits to Callahan for the model file

This spell causes flaming dragon heads to fly forwards and crash down in a line ahead of the caster, damaging and stunning all units in it's path.

It basically causes clusterrocket casts in a line to create a pleasing effect.

This spell is also from a brilliant game called Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Ever since i saw Callahan's Dragon Roar model file I've wanted to make this, due to recently learning JASS i now have. The spell in the game is also called Dragon Roar, and the person who uses it, is the guy in my avatar (Albel).

==Ice Wave==
This spell causes a wave of ice to shoot outwards in a line, damaging and slowing enemy units in it's path.

==General Notes==

I have included buckets of info on how to implement these spell in your map at the top of the spell trigger, and even how to make your own spells based from them, as this will work with any point target spell (dragon roar) or any no target spell (ice wave) you want. So you can make a wave of flamestrikes or a wave of war stomps, or whatever.

If you are having any problem opening the map, i was using JASS NewgenPack5a when making, download that and everything should work, although as far as i know it shouldnt be required. But download it anyway just because its awesome!

If you find any leaks or bugs please post here.
Please Credit me if you use these spells in your map.
Comment, rate, appreciate ^^

==Updates==
12/10/08
Dragon Roar VERSION 1.1, All known leaks fixed.

12/10/08
Ice Wave added.

14/10/08
Spells Optimised by Hanky
Dragon Roar VERSION 1.2, now is a hero spell! length of wave/damage is spell level dependent
Ice Wave VERSION 1.1, now is a hero spell! length of wave/damage/slow effect is spell level dependent

15/10/08
Location leak fixed, thanks to -JonNny for spotting it! All known leaks fixed.

10/11/08
Dragon Roar VERSION 1.3, now uses a timer for intervals below 0.27 seconds and constant functions for easier setup
Ice Wave VERSION 1.2, now uses a timer for intervals below 0.27 seconds and constant functions for easier setup, wave speed is now spell level dependent

11/11/08
Fixed my idiotic mistake of forgetting to Flush Handle Locals!

Keywords:
dragon, fire, magic, wave, jass, element, wave, ice, frost, cold, spell
Contents

BlackShogun's Wave Spells (Map)

Reviews
08:09, 28th Oct 2015 This resource has been Rejected by BPower. Criticism: I can't see a development of the thread since 2008. The code would require an update to work with the latest patch. Please re-submit it, if you pick up the work on...

M

08:09, 28th Oct 2015

This resource has been Rejected by BPower.

Criticism:
I can't see a development of the thread since 2008. The code would require
an update to work with the latest patch. Please re-submit it, if you
pick up the work on your wave spell.

16 Dec 2011
Bribe: This doesn't work any more with the latest patch.

Level 5
thx for the replies guys
@Koromaru, yes it was! but theyre making So4 on the Xbox... what a waste ><
@TheBlooddancer, hmm fan of knives isnt target point but with a little changing you could make the dummies be created at each target location and then cast it, so then it could become a wave of fan of knives :grin: to answer the questions it is MUI, and if it were made in GUI i think it would be pretty hard to make it MUI, and ofc theres the whole efficiency thing ^^ and true the missile is beaut
@Hanky, yup its an easy spell :thumbs_up: but that would be expected of the first JASS code i ever wrote and yea i was talking to Dr_Super_Good yday and he said there were some leaks and to update it usng coordinates instead of Loc's, so im gna be looking at that, and possibly using a timer instead of a loop/wait cos its just not efficient at all :gg:

EDIT: @TheBlooddancer(again :p), when i update it i may add a second slightly modified code which does exactly that, "a wave of instant casts", eg. fan of knives, thunderclap, warstomp, whatever, if people will find it helpful im more than willing :thumbs_up:

EDIT2: Updated! Fixed all known leaks, using coords instead of locs now. Unfortunately i couldnt implement a timer. I did say i may add a "wave of instant casts" version aswell, and i will add that soon! just not yet :gg:

EDIT3: Updated! I have now added the "wave of instant casts" the base spell seen in this map is Ice Wave, but ofc you can yet again change that with any old instant cast, no target spell. ( including summons Oo, wave of feral spirits xD )

Last edited:
Level 22
@BlackShogun.
Just use that effect. Its kewl. I tried it ^^

@Constructive Critic. Was to bored :D

I recommend this:
JASS:
    local real x = 8 
    local real z = x
    local real d = 180
    local real t = 0.1 
    local real l = 3.0

This way it looks kewler (IMO)

And your very good at explaining things. I would like to see you create a tutorial, perhaps about a Jass scripts. Jass is quite easy to understand, when you know it, else its just 1337.
You would do great as a teacher, no doubt.

Level 5
@TheBlooddancer, lol dragon roar really does look halarious with fan of knives <effect> just raining knives >< gna have to make the damage aoe bigger for that one tho hehe, and the 180 distance does look good, the last few dragons have a really nice arc on them, but i also like them being all bunched up too, im gna leave it as is but i would definitely recommend people check it out with d=180 cos its also rly nice
And thanks! lol really? im good at explaining? :grin: maybe when i write things out, normally i would have said im terrible at explaining things >< and JASS is easy to understand definitely, it took me about 1 hour to learn basic JASS, then about 30mins more to get my head around the coordinates instead of loc's. spent overall like an hour on this spell. Done all that in the last couple of days. If people wna learn just check Daelin's JASS threads in the tutorials section, he is VERY good at explaining ^^

@Dynasti, thanks :D
It's kinda simple but it looks good at preforms good :) all that i need 3 / 5
you gna use it for sommin? :gg: if so im interested in what for! id love to know my spell is getting some usage!

Level 5
@TheBlooddancer, lol i posted that, checked it as fan of knives real fast and just edited to give the reply cos i didnt think anyone wouldve read it within 5mins *sneakysneaky* oh well theres a nice chunky reply above to it you can read :p

@KenshinUesugi, damn you've been taken in by the microsoft bois xD, gna have to put you through rehabilitation :p j/k's, they havent announced it as being Xbox exclusive so will probably be on ps3 too... a year late T_T and no there isnt any other elements, its just a tag cos fire and ice are elements, and theres only 2 spells there cos they work in slightly different ways, one works with target point abilities, one works with no target abilities, so you can customise your own waves for both :thumbs_up:

EDIT: @TheBlooddancer (again xD), ah i never downloaded the tool, just used Jass NewgenPack 5a, it has a built in Jass Helper, very good, and anyone using world editor should use the pack anyway, because its made of 100% win. And although i said it took only an hour to learn basic JASS, ive been messing around with the world editor for over a year, and know GUI back to front, which may have helped ;p

Level 22
Yah, im some of a fast replier :D

Well ask of anything ^^. Im reading that tutorial right now, and untill now ive got everything (But the JASS editor ^^)

Well.. See you :wink:

EDIT:

This Line:
JASS:
call IssuePointOrder(u, id, (x1 - (d * Cos(angle * bj_DEGTORAD) * (x-z-1))), (y1 - (d * Sin(angle * bj_DEGTORAD) * (x-z-1))))
What would it be in GUI?

EDIT'IT:

Made it in "Level = more waves" Start out by creating a global var. named Levels_Waves. Then replace your " local real x" with this:

JASS:
local integer x = (udg_Levels_Waves)
Simple as that- And so usefull (Maybe)

If heroes in you map goes 30+ then it looks fun, therefor you may want to tweak it to only add 0.75 wave each, or make a lvl max on this.

EDIT'IT'IT:

This is not MPI/MUI. Didnt bother to, but can easely be convertet.

EDIT'IT'IT'IT

Convertet to MPI (Due to global variable, can be convertet to Locals to) and attached new map-
Actually it seems MUI Too. Or.. If you have 2 units that level at the exactly same time.. Then it may cause bugs.

EDIT'z0r!

This is from xxdingo93xx

It contains some leak corrections.
I asked him to go it throu and he found those.

Attachments

• Wave Spells.w3x
    38.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Level 5
if you wanted waves to be level dependent, just say so and i will update the spell, and keep it only using locals so its totally MUI xD

also the leaks in the thing dingo has posted are old, i already fixed them on 12/10/08 please download the newest update

Level 14
Hmm I optimized abit your script. The only thing that isn't ok that you use TriggerSleepAction. It would be better if you use timer loops. But well that you should learn by yourself. But nice to see that I saw no BJ functions.

Attachments

• Wave Spells Optz.w3x
    38.2 KB · Views: 67
Level 5
@Hanky, thanks for the opt, hadnt thought of replacing the bj_DEGTORAD / bj_RADTODEG with real values
local real mx = d * Cos(angle * 0.01745)
local real my = d * Sin(angle * 0.01745)
this does look faster too, thanks i will remember this for future spells too :)
although the lifespan of the dummies does need to be greater than 1 second, because cluster rockets is a weird spell, it always takes ~1 second to reach the target, and so for all the casts except the first one, the dummy dies before the dragon heads reach the target, this results in no damage, so i could reduce it to ~1.5 but 1.0 is too low ^^ just cos cluster rockets is a weird spell :gg:
also, i did try implementing a timer, but because the spell needs to take x, then take it as a handle to move it to the timer's function, and then needs to do x= x-1, but every time the timer calls the timer's function it would retake the value of x, so it would never become x-1, which means all 8 spell casts (assuming x is left as 8) would be cast at the same location, i do not see any way around this otherwise i wouldve already implemented it :grin:

EDIT: @TheBlooddancer, hmm im not too big on it being level dependent, but i will make it dependent on the Spell's Level, that makes sense to me, but like.... this spell at hero level 1-3 is useless, and at say level 50 it would be rediculous. So im gna go by the level of the spell and make it into a hero spell, sound good? :) you can ofc edit it to being based on the hero's level in your own map if you wnt but as for my spell thats posted here, i will make it ability level dependent

EDIT2: Updated!(at 1 in the morning yday, forgot to post then but im posting now!) Both spells are now Hero spells and the length of waves is spell level dependent! (can change it so its not easily too)

Last edited:
Level 5
Ah thanks -JonNny! i will fix it immediately! :grin: i hope that is the final thing i need to fix hehe, and lol you are right my description is very long, but atleast if a newbie goes to use it in their map they will hopefully manage it first time and i wont get pms on how to do it :p

EDIT: Updated! Leak fixed.

Level 5
Eh? i never said anything about releasing something new :eekani: although i am working on some spells for my Era of Ninja map, however, i will not be uploading them atleast until after the map is released. I just wanted to upload Dragon Roar because it was my first :xxd:
and yes, WILLTHEALMIGHTY's SFX models do rock but im not planning to base more spells on models because 1. you should use as little imports in uploaded spells as possible and 2. this one was special becos SO3 is awesome :thumbs_up: lol

Last edited:
Level 22
Hehe, ive figured that out, allready :grin:
Its just that, this spell seems "perfect" right now, and doesnt got any flaws.
The spell itself cant be modified, due to its a cos-play of an allready existing spell, and as you seem skilled at this, you could be planning on something new (Or refining that ice wave, which i think is rather dull (Duh- so easy to make in GUI)).

Therefore you could just once in a while edit it or something :D
Ice wave-thingie can be Edited, cause its not based on a spell either.

Level 5
Ice wave is dull yea, but i just added it so that people can make a "wave of instant casts" if they want, rather than a "wave of target points" (dragon roar), so you could make a wave of warstomps or whatever people come up with, just gives people a bit more freedom, that really is the only reason i bothered making Ice wave :xxd:

Level 18
Check This :)

Hey check this out! i made the dragon roar thingy in timer with handles :) Dont remember who made that handle system but ++++++rep to her/him.

Ok i just made it because i got bored, i dont want any rep, this is just an example on how you could do it.

Just test it ( i dont know if its leakfree, did it in a hurry xD )

Attachments

• Mhm.w3x
    34.8 KB · Views: 61
Level 5
thanks, i have been meaning to update this, seeing as ive learnt how to use handle vars now, but this was my first jass spell, also considering remaking it without the use of cluster rockets, and use dummy units firing artillery attacks similar to scatter shot, so each dragon head would deal individual damage aoe. i havent yet redone this as im working on my project, EoN. and the handle vars system is by kattana :grin:

Level 17
Idea/Creativity: 4/10
Coding: 6/10
Balance: 5/10
Ability Tooltip: 10/10
MUI: Yes (+2/10)
(Yes: +2/10, No: -2/10, MPI: +/-0/10)
Language: Jass (+1/10)
(GUI: +/- 0/10, Jass: +1/10, vJass: +2/10)
Total: 28/40

Average: 7/10 = 3/5

Viewers Note:

Well, neat ideas but they're really easy.
The coding....well, I was pretty shocked to see that.
You define the dummy abilities/dummy/order ID etc. as a local variable inmiddle of the code?
Bad idea :x If you want to hold it to Jass declare it in another function.
They are really imba, you should make them some weaker or at least add a documentation how to set the damage.
The ability tooltip is the standard wc3 tooltip what is a must for all spells.
It is MUI and Jass what gave you an extra score.
All in all, I think these spells are useful. They are rlly easy made but whatever.

Level 5
@Hanky: thanks for approving :grin: was hoping it would be looked at soon, im working on my project atm but when i get to it i will improve it and remove triggersleep and add more constants like you said.

@xxdingo93xx: thanks for the review xD dont remember how i did it atm cos it was around a month ago that i made this but when i come back to it in a while (due to project) i will look at the:
local variable inmiddle of the code?
Tis a fair score seeing as it is a very simple JASS trigger, but ya know first piece of JASS i ever wrote :p Although i cant agree with:
They are really imba, you should make them some weaker or at least add a documentation how to set the damage.
as i stated at the top of the spell trigger that you change the damage in the object editor, although i will admit that i only wrote this on the dragon roar's spell trigger and not the ice wave's, must have slipped my mind :cute:

And wow didn't realise it had so many downloads, 425 as of now, its simple but i guess people cant resist its sexy looks :p cudos to Callahan

Level 5
Updated! Now uses timers for intervals below 0.27 and constant functions for easier setup. Also Ice Wave's wave speed is now level dependent.

@xxdingo93xx: thx, i like to keep things neat xD everybody should when writing code anyway, otherwise you cant understand what you've written later :grin:

Level 4
How to you download/imporant spells

please contact me at [email protected] please
and tell me what spell this was posted on not ur username
i wont have any idea who you are if you tell me ur username

P.S. my problem is theres no tutorial like the model idk how to get it into a map