• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Billboarded planes/Alpha help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I've created a Bomberman model in MS3D, and I've exported and it seems to be working in Warcraft 3 Viewer. Model is attached.

In Warcraft 3 Viewer, the planes show up great. The ball is showing, and it billboards. It doesn't alpha it for some reason, but the skin itself is alphaed.

But when I import into Warcraft the planes show up black for some reason...

For testing purposes, I tried to change a hero icon to the ball.blp and it showed up as it was supposed to, alphaed and pink...
So, does anyone know what's going on??
This is the only thing keeping me from it's release.

thanks,
ES

Also, I changed the material from None to Transparent in the MDL and it showed up exactly as I wanted in War3 Viewer, but completely invisible in Warcraft.

Edit: i think a possible problem may be that I animated the billboarded joints along with my joints.

Last edited:
Level 23
It's nothing to do with your billboarding bones being animated; though there's rather a lot of useless data in there you should be removing.

And duuuuuuuude, regroup everything onto one that uses the same material. >.<

Nope, you have me completely flummoxxed. I can find no earthly reason in the MDL for this phenomenon; the bones are fine, the faces are pointing forward, the materials are fine, there's nothing seems off in the geosets, the bones...

Post me your MS3D and I'll try exporting it myself, or see if I can find issues in your geometry.

I don't know which blp converter you used, but the problem was in the texture. I imagine that you used Prophet's wc3viewer, I've also experienced texture problems with it before.

Here's the new ball.blpand an updated and optimized version of your model.

btw: 128*128 is way too much for a ball like it, I doubt anybody would scale the model enough for the first mipmap to be seen.

Attachments

• BOMBERMAN_Final.mdx
    32.7 KB · Views: 72
  • ball.blp
    9.1 KB · Views: 99
Level 9
I don't know which blp converter you used, but the problem was in the texture. I imagine that you used Prophet's wc3viewer, I've also experienced texture problems with it before.

Here's the new ball.blpand an updated and optimized version of your model.

btw: 128*128 is way too much for a ball like it, I doubt anybody would scale the model enough for the first mipmap to be seen.
ah yes thank you.

I was also planning on moving it down more.
thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.