• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beyond Light And Darkness v1.2.1

Reactions: San_Melon
Beyond Light and Darkness

Greetings fellow warcrafters! I'm Kettle, also known as Envy, and I introduce to you my very first map - Beyond Light and Darkness (BLAD). BLAD is fairly small AOS genre map suitable for small groups of players - up to 3 versus 3.
Below you can find details of the map (I really hope the description won't be messed up)

Auto-learnable abilities - Maximum hero level is 4 (means the map is nearly grind-free) and with every level hero automatically learns new ability.
Red Horizon Mercenaries - Want something more exotic than normal items and potions that would aid your team and wouldn't cost a fortune? The Red Horizon Mercenaries are perfect for that! Reinforce your side with computer controlled mercenaries which follow the route of friendly creeps. Furthermore, the mercenaries have their roles, for example Troll Priest is a long range healer.
Interesting Abilities - That should go without saying for any map - from simple Charge abilities to Animated Phoenix following its prey and burning everything on its way, BLAD contains a variety of custom abilities.

nothingb.jpg

*** v1.2.1 ***
HEROES:
Phoenix Ranger - Fiery Finale no longer damages the user and allied units.
Phoenix Ranger - Fiery Finale animation should now be shown properly.
Phoenix Ranger - User now receives gold when killing enemies with Fiery Finale skill.

*** v1.2 ***
NEW FEATURES:
New Children of the Light Hero - Sacred Blade.
New Servants of the Darkness Hero - Shadowbound Construct.
New item - Beheader.
New item - Arcane Tome.
Fountains now have Fountain Affection aura to prevent spawn camping.

HEROES:
Fixed Arcanist's description.
Banshee - Screech of Misery triggering improved to avoid possible leaking and bugs.
Banshee - Screech of Misery area of effect increased to 400 from 250.
Banshee - Fear cooldown increased to 13 seconds up from 8 seconds.
Banshee - Fear should now work properly.

UNITS:
Altar of Light maximum health increased to 1500 from 1000.
Altar of Light health regeneration increased to 3.0 from 1.0.
Altar of Darkness maximum health increased to 1500 from 1000.
Altar of Darkness health regeneration increased to 3.0 from 1.0
Mercenaries no longer leave corpses.
Troll Priest mercenary health reduced to 275 from 375.

ITEMS:
Spellguard cost decreased to 10 from 12.
Potion of Life description now mentions that the item has 2 charges.
Potion of Life now heals for 10 seconds down from 20 seconds. Amount of health restored not changed.
Potion of Mana description now mentions that the item has 2 charges.
Potion of Mana now restores mana for 10 seconds down from 20 seconds. Amount of mana restored not changed.
Mithril Helmet now adds 2 armor down from 3.

VISUALS:
Heroes' names in the taverns are now highlighted in yellow.
Heroes' abilities in the taverns are now highlighted in light blue.

*** v1.1 ***
NEW FEATURES:
New Children of the Light Hero - The Peacekeeper.
New Servants of the Darkness Hero - Banshee.
New shop - Willie's Weapons.
New item - Blades of Vampirism.
Team killing is no longer possible.

HEROES:
Hero death messages are no longer displayed.
Added spells to Necromancer's, Hound's and Legionaire's descriptions.
All Servants of the Darkness heroes now have proper build time.
Arcanist - Spell Watch can no longer be triggered by spells cast by mercenaries and summons.

UNITS:
Guard Tower health regeneration increased to 1.0 from 0.5.
Spirit Tower health regeneration increased to 1.0 from 0.5.

ITEMS:
Manabound Mask and Spellguard no longer share the same spot in the shop.
Fixed Manabound Mask tooltip.
Fixed Potion of Life tooltip.
Cloak of Agility now adds 2 agility down from 3.
Cloak of Agility cost decreased to 8 from 10.
Helmet of Strength now adds 2 strength down from 3.
Helmet of Strength cost decreased to 8 from 10.
Robes of Wisdom now adds 2 intelligence down from 3.
Robes of Wisdom cost decreased to 8 from 10.
Spellguard cost decreased to 12 from 15.

VISUALS:
Lumber is now called ''Kills''.
Icon for ''Kills'' is now a sword, instead of a tree.

As mentioned above, this is my first map, and although it doesn't offer much content, it probably is leaking like a broken pipe it still is playable, and atleast from my point of view quite interesting :) I am open for criticism and ideas how to further improve the map. Cheers.

Keywords:
beyond, light, darkness, paradise, aos
Contents

Beyond Light And Darkness v1.2.1 (Map)

Reviews
11:04, 28th Jun 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved
Level 4
Those "unique" features aren't unique at all. Max level 4? I lol'd. Auto-learned abilities? Oh, yes, like that -insert random map with auto-learned abilities here-. AI controlled mercenaries? Pretty much like buying regular creeps in DotA. And map of 59.21 KB isn't really promising...

Level 3
Those "unique" features aren't unique at all. Max level 4? I lol'd. Auto-learned abilities? Oh, yes, like that -insert random map with auto-learned abilities here-. AI controlled mercenaries? Pretty much like buying regular creeps in DotA. And map of 59.21 KB isn't really promising...

Matter of numbers. I believe that 4 levels with 4 different abilties is better than say 50 levels with those same 4 abilities. And no, mercenaries aren't quite like the creeps in DotA. Map size is small and it is optimized. As for auto-learnable abilities, I'm yet to see them elsewhere :)

Level 7
Failed/harsh comment. Why not tell him what he needs to improve instead of flaming his map like there's no tomorrow?

Level 3
Just curious, you get inspiration for the name from the game "Beyond Good and Evil?"

Yar. Lovely game. A lot of things in the map are inspired by various games I've played or have certain idea to them. For example Tank class is a tiny reference to left for dead, faction names are inspired by the names of Disciples 2 expansions and Red Horizon mercenaries simbolyzes neutrality bewteen day (light) and darkness (night).

Level 3
Thanks for your opinion. I like it - its clear and points out the things that need to be improved. I'm currently working on v1.2. I'd like to know if there are any actual requirements that have to be met in order to have my map properly, offically approved. It's been 'pending' for quite a while now.

Level 6
Well this game dosent seem finished to me and Ill state some reasons why:
-There are only 2 different mercenary units which you can buy
-You dont get money from killing enemy units
-One of the Phoenix Rangers abilities Fiery Finale was wrong, it said it dealt damage to nearby enemy units but also damaged allier units and the user.
-only 11 different items available
-only 10 different heros with 4 abilities and 1 level for each ability
I seriously sudjest you work on this map alot more and increase the quantity of mercenary units, items, heros and abilities. Also I sudjest adding gold bounty to the units.

Last edited:
Level 3
Well this game dosent seem finished to me and Ill state some reasons why:
-There are only 2 different mercenary units which you can buy
-You dont get money from killing enemy units
-One of the Phoenix Rangers abilities Fiery Finale was wrong, it said it dealt damage to nearby enemy units but also damaged allier units and the user.
-only 11 different items available
-only 10 different heros with 4 abilities and 1 level for each ability
I seriously sudjest you work on this map alot more and increase the quantity of mercenary units, items, heros and abilities. Also I sudjest adding gold bounty to the units.

-Didn't have any interesting ideas for mercs.
-You should get money for killing enemy units. Haven't encountered such bug personally, neither when playing online. You should gain 1 gold for every creep and 4 or so for every hero killed, maybe you didn't last hit. Will look into it though.
-I'll look into Fiery Finale.
-I add items every once in a while. Problem is, just like with mercs, I want items to be interesting, rather than +1;+2;+3 random stat or damage. You can see that latest items have active/passive abilities, which can provide player(s) with an edge while chasing down enemies or while escaping the heat of battle.
-I am adding 2 heroes with every version, started with only 3 on each side. Additional content comes with new versions. I do realise that 10 heroes is too little. Didn't bother with making level-able abilities, as it makes balancing even harder and additional abilities can be gained through buying items - like the ones mentioned above.

Thank you for your constructive feedback, posts like yours encourage map makers to work on their maps. Will try to fix the problems in the next version. Any other posts like this would be greatly appreciated as I often have hard time finding bugs.

Level 7
Oke I test your map..
And afterwards I must say the game is actually better
as your description shows
(e.g. your screeny looks not really impressive)!

-terrain is oke ;)
-the skills are very nice
Maby you can add more heros & Items?!
map/description is oke = approvel
(pls add more screen shots)

-vote for approvel
-rate 3.5/5

+rep

Level 22
Oke I test your map..
And afterwards I must say the game is actually better
as your description shows
(e.g. your screeny looks not really impressive)!

-terrain is oke ;)
-the skills are very nice
Maby you can add more heros & Items?!
map/description is oke = approvel
(pls add more screen shots)

-vote for approvel
-rate 3.5/5

+rep

Review Marked, my rating 3/5.

Rating: 3/5
Vote for:
Approved

Level 10
This map is grat for a casual player like me then a hardcore dota player. personaly, i like this better since you dont have to spend a really long time jsut to get an item, and the small map size attracts more people because of the fast download, 4/5 from me!

P.S. I think the heros should be up to level 10, so each ability has 2 levels and you have a attribute bonus ability with two levels.

Level 3
Each user must choose one hero. There are ten heroes total; each team has five heroes available. If the user is on the Children of Light team, he must choose either Tank, Peacekeeper, Phoenix Ranger, Scared Blade, or Arcanist. If the user is on the Servants of Darkness team, he must choose either Legionaire, Shadowbound Construct, Hound, Necromancer, or Banshee. Heroes have four unique spells, which they learn after consistently leveling up. Once they reach the forth level, they can no longer level up. For this reason, the teams must be even if real competition can exist. Along with heroes are a small group of melee units and one range unit who are controlled by a computer player. These units are ordered to attack the enemies' base, and they respawn periodically. If you allow them to fight for a long time, a winner should emerge eventually. I did not do the math, but from the amounts of time I played this game and allowed the units to do whatever, I have observed that both sides have a 50% chance of winning on their own -- without any help from heroes.

The island has a Shrunken Ruins theme with ancient, sea worn tiles covering most of the middle, neutral area where the players meet to fight. The landscape in this case is rather beautiful and well constructed to look like a small island where the ultimate, controlled Armageddon takes place. What is rather annoying is that some of the ranged units, especially the non-hero units, do not shoot a visible missile. Instead, you see the initial explosion followed by a spontaneous effect, no missile.

Though the game can be translated as a good v.s. bad conflict, there is a different interpretation. For that reason, I'll give out only the facts. All the units on the Children of Light team are human, besides the Tank. They have many different aspirations, not all want to establish peace. The Peacekeeper is probably the only one on that team with such a huge ego. Other heroes, like the Arcanist, want to take on difficult challenges. The Tank wants vengeance, which seems to be a very evil intent for a good cause. On the flip side, the units on the Servants of Darkness team were either once human or creation of humans. They themselves are no longer human, but they are a result of corruption in humans. And some, like the Banshee, wish to serve "darkness" to receive something. So in this case, I'm not so sure if good v.s. evil is an appropriate outlook.

Last edited: