• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Berserk Upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I made a Fel Barracks that produces Fel Orc Grunts. When I upgrade the Rampager Upgrade, the Grunts are supposed to be swapped with Fel Orc Rampagers.

So far, I managed to get most of it working. You can build Grunts. When you research the upgrade, the Grunts turn into Rampagers. You can no longer build Grunts. You can build Rampagers. The only problem, is that before you do the research, you can build both Grunts AND Rampagers. Any reason why?

I copied the Fel Orc Grunt off of the campaign unit and modded it. I then copied and pasted the new Fel Orc Grunt and editted one of them to become the Rampager. The Fel Barracks are a modded copy of the Orc Barracks. I modded a copy of the "Berserker Upgrade" upgrade and put it on the Barracks. I modded a copy of the "Berserker Upgrade" ability and put it on the Grunt. I mirrored the Headhunter/Berserker setup as far as I can see.

I still can't seem to make Rampagers inaccessible before the upgrade.

Level 19
I think you don't have to add both units to the unit trained lines.
As you mentioned, the Berserk ability wroks as a changer for the unit-type, so basically when you research it, it will change Grunts into Rampagers, and that effect should be shown in the Barracks as well, without needing both units in it.

So basically, you need Berserk Upgrade ability, with Rampgers as a alternative unit and Grunts as a normal unit.

Level 6
Any idea why this is here then?

Orc Barracks:
004-BarracksBerserk.png

They've got the Troll Berserker on the Units Trained list. o_O I feel so confused.

Edit: I took the Rampager off of the Units Trained list, and they were no longer available from the Fel Barracks, both before and after researching. Researching DID change the already existing grunts into rampagers, but I couldn't make any more of either after I researched.
005-BarracksError.png

Maybe I'm not understanding you guys right. I'm going to keep trying.

Level 18
Ochibi said:
but I couldn't make any more of either after I researched.

For me I customized the ability to make Footmen turn into Grunts when the Defend upgrade was researched. After training a few Footman units and researching the Defend upgrade, the existing Footman units were turned into Grunts. My Barracks still had the icon of the Footman but when I trained it it was a Grunt.

Do you have a custom upgrade based off of "Berserker Upgrade"?

Level 18
I know how you could trigger the effects of the upgrade, but it seems like nothing seems to work as blizzard has theirs working. I couldn't for the life of me get the icons to change by using upgrades/abilities.

What happens in WarCraft III is both units are associated as trainable to that certain structure. Once the upgrade has been complete, it enables the ability (Berserker Upgrade) on the Troll Headhunters, turning them into Troll Berserkers. In addition to this it should modify the availability of the original/new units. This is represented by your first screen-shot.

If you were to use triggers, you could easily add/remove the necessary tech-items from the structure. Its what the upgrade (Berserker Upgrade) should be doing. The strange thing with the upgrade is that the new unit is not added to the structure's tech-tree, but the previous unit is removed.

Level 6
I'm going to consider using a trigger where

when player [integer 1-8] finishes an upgrade
Upgrade finished is [Rampager Upgrade]
edit the barracks for player [integer 1-8] - remove Grunt, then add Rampager

The actual replacing all the existing Grunts with Rampagers seems to work fine.

I'm taking a break from The Hive Workshop after I solve this problem. I just started a new semester of college and I've got 5 classes and a lab. Much more than I'm used to handling.

Level 6
Quick question: What's the difference between these two?

Unit - A unit Finishes an upgrade
and
Unit - A unit Finishes a research

I'll check back for an answer later tonight.

How's this?
  • Add Rampager to Barracks
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes research
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Researching unit)) Equal to Fel Barracks
      • (Researched tech-type) Equal to Rampager Upgrade
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 8, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Owner of (Researching unit)) Equal to PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]
            • Then - Actions
              • Player - Make Grunt (Fel Orc) Unavailable for training/construction by PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]
              • Player - Make Rampager Available for training/construction by PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]
            • Else - Actions
If I do that though, the game won't know where to make the Rampager available at, unless I add the Rampager to the list of Units Trained and add this:
  • Other Setup
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 8, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Make Rampager Unavailable for training/construction by PlayerIndex[(Integer A)]
I will test again later tonight, after installing a 3D imaging program and learning some of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.