• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle.net 2.0 No P2P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Most people are probably not up to date so I'll post this here.

It has been confirmed by Karune that Battle.net 2.0 will be free although there will probably be some of extra service for those who would like to do so.

Anyway here is the quote:
"When a player buys the StarCraft II box at retail, they will have the ability to play on the new Battle.net for free."

Discuss if there is anything worth discussing.

Level 19
what kind of extra service?

Players who want more content could pay a monthly subscription. This does not mean that those who don't pay will have a crappy service.

Because Battle.net 2.0 will be generally free they need somekind of income. Ads would probably not make up for all of the new services are are going to provide(got no idea of what they got planning on introducing).

Level 7
Then why make the thread if you don't know 'what services' we all already know that there was going to be some services needed to pay for.

Level 13
I just hope these special services won't be things like the friend list, being able to host a map, etc.

Level 19
Then why make the thread if you don't know 'what services' we all already know that there was going to be some services needed to pay for.

This thread was not meant for extra service discussion but to inform unknowing visitors that StarCraft II's Battle.net 2.0 will be free. Read my first post.

I never thought there would be so much fuss about some extra payable services... -.-

Level 22
an example could be more bandwidth so they can download maps and content a lot faster.

This is a good idea, something that won't concern us soo much if we don't pay. Coz if it will be - less lag or less hackers and those who don't pay will have more lag and hackers, smth like that then LOL no thx Bnet. I just wanna see a free ordinary BNet, where the premium won't matter for the game-play, to be smth like 'I don't care that I don't have these xtra services'. Coz if they force us to pay for better playing, screw you Blizzard.

Level 19
This is a good idea, something that won't concern us soo much if we don't pay. Coz if it will be - less lag or less hackers and those who don't pay will have more lag and hackers, smth like that then LOL no thx Bnet. I just wanna see a free ordinary BNet, where the premium won't matter for the game-play, to be smth like 'I don't care that I don't have these xtra services'. Coz if they force us to pay for better playing, screw you Blizzard.

Knowing Blizzard I highly doubt it.

Level 21
Damn Blizzard. Like they don't have enough money from WOW already.

What's your problem? Nobody's forcing you to pay for the extra features...

Here are some examples I can think of for pro-features:
  1. No banners on battle.net
  2. No limit on the number of "friends" you can have
  3. Namespoofer
  4. Online storage (instead of typing savecodes, ...) for maps that support this
  5. Special "win" icons for ladder games

Level 40
  • Ingame Voice Chat? They are definitely implementing it, but if there is some way they could make it superior to TeamSpeak and the like then I assume that they could make it pay to use.

Who knows...

Anyhow, these "omg greedy blizzard" types are really getting old. They're a company. They are set up to make money. They provide you damn good games in return. Enjoy it.

Level 19
  • Ingame Voice Chat? They are definitely implementing it, but if there is some way they could make it superior to TeamSpeak and the like then I assume that they could make it pay to use.

Who knows...

Anyhow, these "omg greedy blizzard" types are really getting old. They're a company. They are set up to make money. They provide you damn good games in return. Enjoy it.

If I remember correctly it was mentioned in a Q&A batch that they would like to implementing a voice-chat feature.

Level 22
Oh please PurplePoot, if you think paying for BNet is ok, then you are out of mind. The BNet will be broken eventually (drophackers , maphackers,etc) because hackers always find a way and the delay will be no different than the war3 bnet so this is not a good quality, just because they have some ZOMG models.... . This has never been done and there is no reason to charge for playing ladder. What we get in return is what we pay for in the beginning i.e 3 CDs. As mentioned, only the payment for special features that won't affect the ordinary players is acceptable.

Level 19
Oh please PurplePoot, if you think paying for BNet is ok, then you are out of mind. The BNet will be broken eventually (drophackers , maphackers,etc) because hackers always find a way and the delay will be no different than the war3 bnet so this is not a good quality, just because they have some ZOMG models.... . This has never been done and there is no reason to charge for playing ladder. What we get in return is what we pay for in the beginning i.e 3 CDs. As mentioned, only the payment for special features that won't affect the ordinary players is acceptable.

People will be requested to use Battle.net accounts to enter Battle.net 2.0. This will require a valid key for the game as well as an e-mail address. Just this will make a hacker's life terrible.

You'll have to use the sam'ol' account for all of your games.

Status
Not open for further replies.