Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Battle for Orion

Submitted by slith
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
This game is a strategy game in space, where you lead one civilization into the stars. Unite the nearby star systems through peace or war. Build your fleets, colonize planets, research technologies, or simply explore the infinite space. It's designed to be quiet slow, so you can choose carefully your next step, and wich technology you will research. The number of options is large, and each of them is different. None is better.

Version II: A completly new system for technologies and planetary defences, wich allows you better control about both management.

For now the game features:

- 58 technologies, each of them with many levels.
- 6 types of main advanced propulsion technologies.
- 3 types of Faster than Light propulsion technologies (Hyperspace, Warp, Teleportation).
- Lots of units: 7 capital ships, 22 frigates, 16 fighters, 4 Planetary defences
- Colonize and Terraform planets, mine asteroids, build space station, space factories, space biospheres, ...
- Many star systems, class of planets and space hazzard.

Game Version's Log:
- V1.0: beta version
- V1.1: Fixed bugs, added derelicts
- V1.2: Balancing, fixed bugs
- V2.0: New system completly
- V2.1: New capital ships, new technologies, organic ships, fixed a few bugs, added other ships, changed ship's equipments.
- v.2.1.1: Added crystal life forms, removed bugs, can be played again on internet.

This is still in some kind of beta, if you find bugs, or if you want to help with balancing, please feel free to PM me. Still it's funny to play and ready. This is the reduced map, so it's small enough to be played in LAN.

Keywords:
Stars, Technologies, Exploration, Space Opera, Starship, Colonization, Planets, Worlds, Diplomacy, Space, Hyperspace, Warp, Teleportation, Comets, Jum
Contents

Battle for Orion (Map)

Reviews
17:46, 13th Sep 2008 Rui: The map has been around for some time, and the comments tell me people like it and that this map is acceptable. Approved!
  1. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    All these things have been changed in the new version. The black command bars too, though I am not sure about that. I would really love to find some Gui that would look space-like, but there isn't any for now on the Hive. Hope this new version will be good! It's still a "Beta", so if you find any bug, please, tell me.

2. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll check it out tonight.

3. Colt556

Colt556

Resources:
    Resources:
    I played it more in depth and I must say, it's an awsome map. However I do have some problems with it.

1: Ship models, there are TONS of good models out there, but you re-use the same ones over and over again. I had three differant Millenium Falcon's in my fleet, and the like. So some diversity would be nice.

1A: A suggestion for the battleship, use one of those awsome Battlestar models, a giant Falcon just doesn't give it the Battleship feeling.

2: EVERY ship uses warp, none of them use teleportation, or hyperspace, they all use warp. Now maybe I'm missing something, but the fact that I can't make my own sort of custome empire by teching what I want kinda defeats the purpose.

Those two things are the major ones, number 2 is what really bothers me though. I want more customization but going through and teching everything, I find that you can't just focus on anything. You have to like, get every single type of tech to get ion beams or something. I can't like, focus on projectile weaponry and teleportation, or lasers and hyperspace. I have to basicly get it all, which is annoying.

So giving us the ability to go down certain paths would greatly help this map, so one race may be the trekies with their beam weapons and warp fields, and another may be SW, with their lasers and hyperdrive. Adds diversity, and diversity is allways fun.

Edit: Ok, I found out hyperspace is just teleportion, and you give it to your ships via an item. Still, I'd much rather it be an ability, sorta like warp. But eh, spose it'd be hard to make the same ship have a differant set of abilities XD, but it's allways an idea.

4. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Good shit, I have a few suggestions tho.

Take out Time Altering, it lags a lot and is highly annoying
    Work with armor types and counters a bit more, I don't like seeing 1 ship type dominating the game. (In my game I used carriers and destroyed anything my opponents threw at me)
    Rely less on items, what I saw was everything depending on the items. I think it was anti-matter and that burst one for fighters that were highly effective.

Otherwise very good work, good models and details and the terrain was amazing. I rated 4/5 on a tough scale. GJ.

5. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    - For models, be sure I would gladly use all models of the Hives, but I can't for size reasons. It's already max size for Lan, so I am kinda screwed. I am working on using same textures for a few ships in order to gain a few ko, but I won't be able to use big models like the battlestar's one.

- For your point 2, Colt, you did miss something ^^. Basically, every type of transportation is different. Hyperspace requires the item and energy but is instantanous. Warp is direct but has disavantages like the unability to fire while under it. As for Teleportation, to use it you need to build Jump Gates, in order to create teleportation tunnels. Each is unique, like all abilities, that's the point about customization. you customize by researching techs, and each is different, not just like shielding wich is for now the same but require only different techs.

- You have to go one path, you can't research everything. You can't research good fission reactors and propulsion and do the same with fusion, ion and antimatter reactors. So you have got to choose wich technologies you devellop and choose your ships depending on that. If you managed to research all technologies, you must have cheated or played it for veeeeery long ^^

- Time altering lags? Damn, I should change that then, that's bad for it was funny ^^

- Armor types and weapon types do change. Have you ever tried destroying a frigate with an anti-fighter weapon? As for Carriers, they can easily be destroyed by mass gunships (like the Stinger, the Thor or the corsairs). It costs 4 times less money to build a small fleet of these gunships that will blast your ship than a carrier costs. You adversaries were not very clever ^^.

- For items, it's the way I used to make capital ships customs. They are useless without equipments, you basically custom build them. They are nearly nothing without them.

6. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I armed my carriers with corsairs, a couple anti fighter items and that antimatter weapon ( think its antimatter, I forget, its the last one that does a ton to capital ships) Even vs a sizable corsair fleet, it was unmatched. Your probably right, but my main concern are the items.

I understand the importance of custom fitting the capital ships, its cool, but what I'm saying is a carrier is the best standing capital ship because it can hold the same items as any other, has the same abilities as any other, and in addition to that, can hold fighters. I don't see any real reason to get a mothership over a carrier when ur prepairing for war. The items make the match, not the ship, I want to see a little more destinction between ships.

What I'm saying is, keep the items, make them perhaps slightly less powerful, and give certain ships more hp and others more dmg or barrage or something.

7. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah you are right on that, I have allways wanted to make ships more "special" but never actually done it ^^. Next version will put important changes to each of them, I hope. If you have ideas about special capital ships you would like to see, just give them, I will try doing them with the new updates that will also feature a new technology branch.

8. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Make a ship with a larger weapon capacity, (Give it a backpack ability to give it more than 6 slots).

Make more weapons that can be mounted

A warp ship, (Dark Summoning ability) pulls other ships to it. (uses lots of power).

9. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'd have to agree with sir.laggalot, have some capital ships have more or less slots. Also make the items a bit less powerful or attack slower. I noticed when I played, when I equiped the carriers with items and fighters, I'd have trouble with lag while warping them in and deploying fighters because the laser attacked fast enough or something that I coudln't even bring my fighters out until it was too late. It seemed the battle would last 1 big laggy screen. What I mean is, I'd have a fleet of 8 or more carriers, then all of a sudden just 2 and no opponent. Maybe a way to auto-deploy fighters?

Oh, the other thing is, how big the ships are. Its annoying trying to control things so huge, and its not very porportional seeing as 1 carrier is about 4x the size of earth. Maybe lengthen the time for building such huge ships too (only slightly).

Maybe some unique abilities for each ship? Cloaking, critical strike, evasion, bash, poison? (given spacey names that work of course) Kamakazi?

I know I'm being very general, I'm hoping u get the gist, if you need me to explain and give some good examples/descriptions lemme know. I trust your creative enough to come up with some.

10. Colt556

Colt556

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well Slith, if you're using Hyperspace as an FTL drive (From BSG, it teleports them via wormholes :O) and NOT as hyperspace (If you were using it as hyperspace, you'd be traveling same as warp), then I recomend renaming it and giving all ships the blink ability. I'd much rather have my ships inherently be able to jump when I get the tech, rather then wasting an items slot. Especially for frigs, who only have one slot that could be put to better use.

P.S. You can still fight while using warp, I loaded up a cruiser with guns and warped, but forgot to get out of warp but all the guns still fired and killed all the pirates.

11. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    - Yeah the attack of items during warp still works, it's a bug I can't manage to stop.

- For hyperspace, sorry guy, but the use of hyperspace physically includes entering another space (the hyperspace), to travel, wich basically would be like taking a shortcut in space. The ship would disappear from normal space doing so. As for making it an ability for the vessel and not an item, I thought of that, but most ships don't have slots for abilities anymore. I could change the shielding double thing for that, but still, Hyperspace is powerful, having to install it on ship seemed like a good way to balance it. I will change it for frigates as I am going to add a few other items for them but I am not sure capital ships should have it directly. Maybe warp core would also become an item for them, to balance all of it.

- For more weapons, I am working on it, as well as reducing the size of capital ships.

- Auto-deploy fighters could be done. Would you find cool if when the carrier drops out of hyperspace or out of warp, it would automatically deploy it's fighters? Or do you prefer if it deploys only when the carrier attacks another ship? (that would be hard to do because then you won't be able to reload your fighters for repairs during the fight so it would have to be like "Is it a first attack or not?")

- I might reduce a bit the firepower of items, but the cost of a capital ship is quiet big, mostly if I increase a bit its construction time. So capital ships are becoming more like big fat ship with lots of hp but not much use except that ^. I guess it's not that bad, hope the gameplay will still be fun.

12. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Capitial ships need a decent, individial attack built in so that they are all different. Maybe some that are strong vs other capitals, some vs frigates and some vs fighters? Actually maybe you even want an extra class of capitals that require more tech/higher cost. Then have them have extra slots for items.

As far as the fighter deployment, I'd have to say automatically when the ship attacks, so that if your under a suprise attack, they will still deploy to defend. Idk how weapons will be, but in the version I played, your carrier ship was dead before you could even move your screen to it, let alone deploy fighters.

13. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here is a new version with new capital ships and weapons. There may be a few bugs, tell me if there is.

14. General01

General01

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've just played this, and I must say, i'm pretty impressed with the systems you've put in. Nice work ;D. A couple of minor points, however...
    -The Voyager class probe is capable of FTL before you actually research any of the FTL technologies, which is not good for keeping the stellar night at bay. Personally, I think that even the starting probe is too fast and can see too far, but meh.
    -Hydrogen gas giant is spelt with an S :p
    -The lava planet in the Alpha Centauri system is impossible to colonize: the suns burn the planet itself even if you get a colony ship in.

And a couple of suggestions: Why not remove all shield/FTL technologies from ships altogether, and have them purchase their shield/FTL from a workshop: Possibly using a triggered consumable item that adds the appropriate ability. That way, picking and choosing how your fleet functions will be much.. cleaner.

15. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot for the comments!

Sorry for the spelling, my mother tongue is not english, so I tend to do that kind of stupid mistakes ^^. Will change it now, as well as look upon the lava planet, it seems to me like a bug. There are some planets that cannot be colonized on purpose, but this one is just on the limit so it's kinda a trap.

Probes only job is their line of sight. Wouldn't they be useless with reduced one? As for the voyager's speed, I should indeed reduce it.

16. lief1

lief1

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    the time altering is bugged you can lose your research things with it!!!

17. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ooooops... That is a bug... Fixing it right now.

18. lief1

lief1

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    when you activate the debug mode theirs no point in the message it sends as you can't host this online.

19. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Now you can. Version updated, with those bugs removed. Sorry for all these, now it's really playable ^^.

20. zt2211

zt2211

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Say, is this map based off of the ancient DOS game known as Masters of Orion? That game was truly a forgotten masterpiece. I'll have to try out this map!