1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Battle for Orion

Submitted by slith
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
This game is a strategy game in space, where you lead one civilization into the stars. Unite the nearby star systems through peace or war. Build your fleets, colonize planets, research technologies, or simply explore the infinite space. It's designed to be quiet slow, so you can choose carefully your next step, and wich technology you will research. The number of options is large, and each of them is different. None is better.

Version II: A completly new system for technologies and planetary defences, wich allows you better control about both management.

For now the game features:

- 58 technologies, each of them with many levels.
- 6 types of main advanced propulsion technologies.
- 3 types of Faster than Light propulsion technologies (Hyperspace, Warp, Teleportation).
- Lots of units: 7 capital ships, 22 frigates, 16 fighters, 4 Planetary defences
- Colonize and Terraform planets, mine asteroids, build space station, space factories, space biospheres, ...
- Many star systems, class of planets and space hazzard.

Game Version's Log:
- V1.0: beta version
- V1.1: Fixed bugs, added derelicts
- V1.2: Balancing, fixed bugs
- V2.0: New system completly
- V2.1: New capital ships, new technologies, organic ships, fixed a few bugs, added other ships, changed ship's equipments.
- v.2.1.1: Added crystal life forms, removed bugs, can be played again on internet.

This is still in some kind of beta, if you find bugs, or if you want to help with balancing, please feel free to PM me. Still it's funny to play and ready. This is the reduced map, so it's small enough to be played in LAN.

Keywords:
Stars, Technologies, Exploration, Space Opera, Starship, Colonization, Planets, Worlds, Diplomacy, Space, Hyperspace, Warp, Teleportation, Comets, Jum
Contents

Battle for Orion (Map)

Reviews
17:46, 13th Sep 2008 Rui: The map has been around for some time, and the comments tell me people like it and that this map is acceptable. Approved!
  1. 17:46, 13th Sep 2008
    Rui:
    The map has been around for some time, and the comments tell me people like it and that this map is acceptable.
    Approved!

2. SUPER-SPIRITbomber

SUPER-SPIRITbomber

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds great. Gonna download now. XD

3. syc

syc

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    just played it but my vision does not expand. so when a unit strays mor than 1/3 of the screen from my planet he is lost.

4. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, you need to explore first with your probes.

5. syc

syc

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    ok because other units give the impression that they might do so but don't. After playing with no fog of war, it was quite detailed. I like it overall. If you need help let me know. I have tones of models of ships here and a few in the works.

6. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well with pleasure!

I have to say my main problem is size, it very fast gets heavy with all those custom models. What kind of models have you got?

I am working on an update, I may change the vision of units so you don't loose units, that may be annoying in the end. If you find any other bug, or balancing trouble, tell me.

PS: Btw, how do you get your map to be looked upon by a mod? I would really love to see the "pending" disappear ^^"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  7. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've been messing around with your map, and I wanted to say, it's freaking awesome. I love the technology chains, and the different things you can get from upgrading each. I also absolutely love that they are actually grounded in the real world.
    I wanted to list some things I think are especially awesome, and some I think you need to improve (With the hopes of some things getting changed, but ultimately it's up to you).

Awesome
    1. The technology chains are beautiful. They are well founded, and make sense.
    2. The ships, planets, and stars are beautiful! They look good, and at the same time don't crowd the screen for attention.
    3. The differing types of propulsion are amazing and work well too.

Could use improving
    1. Ally system: I couldn't find it, so I suspect it doesn't exist. I think there should be a command to ally, or at the very least, a game option which allows allies. (I could just be slow and missed it.)
    2. I understand the need for slow ships, but I think that the turn speed of some should be increase, or if you can, when they're in warp have their turn speed increased. I noticed that capital ships will zip along (with the proper upgrades) while in warp, but will take decades to turn even a little bit.
    3. The Warp Impeder, (I think), needs to have its cost decreased or its area of effect increased. Also if you can attach a visible barrier (for the player who owns it) so he can see where it affects, or give it an ability to show its affect area (a couple TDs do this with attack ranges, so you can build smart).
    4. I'd like to see more planetary defenses (maybe some built ones) and the cheap little planet defenses seem to be extremely weak to the splash damage. (The planet is hit and it kills all the defenses after a few hits)

Thank you for this awesome map. I look forward to future updates.
    (I don't yet know how to do it, (currently trying to figure it out). But if you remove all the units from the normal game, that you don't use, including all those abilities, it should reduce the size of the map.)

8. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much for this feedback!

I have been working on a few updates, as you can see on version 1.2, but here are more precise answers for you improvement advices:

1. I'ts fixed. It's now a simple chat command system, with hints in the quests about it. I will try improving it, mostly with peace treaty time limit and the possibility of exchanging technologies if I can manage it.

2. Unluckily, the weak point of capital ships is their slow turn speed. I will still look with my beta-testers if it has to be increased. Thanks for the feedback anyway. As for increased turning speed when using warp, it's beyound my knowledge in both GUI and JASS.

3. After what you said, I decided to reduce the construction time of the hyperspace inhibitor, and I made this ability that reveals the area of effect of the building. I hope you will find it allright.

4. For now, I am working on a new system for planetary defenses. I will try to finish it soon, but be sure it will feature many new defensive structures for planets.

That's all for now, I hope you will enjoy this new version.

9. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the great map, and the update. I'll check it out immediately.

<Quick Edit>
    (I haven't tried the new version yet, so if you fixed this then ignore this.)
    When you equip ships with additional weapon systems their movement is slowed, (this is ok). But mass driver seems to have a whole lot more of a slowing affect, and some ships aren't even able to move after picking up one. Fully equipped ships are almost motionless.
    Possible fixes I thought up...
    1. Instead of slowing, reduce the unit's acceleration (this is more realistic and will add a lumbering feel to the heavy ships)
    2. Reduce the slowing affect some (Just to be more forgiving)
    3. Have the miniaturization research reduce the affect of the slow.

I think 1. is the best solution (if possible) it would also make stars more dangerous if a fully accelerated ship is fully loaded up. (trying to stop or turn but without the ability to do so quickly), and combining 1 with 3 would also be cool, and it would still be realistic, (Also it supports teching rather than massing).

There were a couple more problems I have remembered while typing this...

1. The best (It seems) way to win is, collect a lot of planets (for income) then mass fighter drones. The zero food cost and low actual cost make them easy to mass.
    2. When there are massed fighters in combat there is a huge amount of delay (for host as well). I am 99% sure that the reason for this is your Fighter movement trigger. I believe that the game takes so much time telling the drones what to do it is left without the time to process player's commands.
    3. When trying to move fighters away from something they are attacking they seem to ignore my orders, some times, choosing instead to move to their set locations.

I hope this issues can be fixed and that my ideas have helped.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  10. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think I know of a way to make the turn rate faster while warping (I attached what I think would work, though I haven't tried it yet).

Another bug.
    If you are stupid enough to (me) build your research centers too near the sun, they can get destroyed (not sure if it died before it finished, or after) by the star's damage aura. This is ok, but then you can't build them again, which isn't.
    A fix would be to have a trigger check to see if they have them/have them enabled, if they don't have them, and don't have them enabled then it can enable them. To keep lag down, you could attach this to a command, or have it go off every 30 seconds.

(Also, I wanted to ask if it would be more convenient for me to post my findings somewhere else, or if you're ok with me putting them all here.)

11. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's ok if you post them all here. Noone else seems interested anyway ^^

For the speed bug, it should have been fixed in the 1.2 update. And don't forget about update 1.2.1, it has lots of alliance bugs removed.

Update 1.2.2: the research station bug should be removed, or I haven't understood it.

12. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Did my warping turn speed fix work?

Also, I wanted to ask about something, purely from a balancing standpoint. Is there a reason that Brown has such a good starting point? He has a Barren planet, a Terraformed planet, and a forest moon all right next to him. This seems like a really nice start, is this unintentional, or what?

(Your fix for research buildings works, now if one dies, you just have to start building a building and it becomes possible to build it again.)

13. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    The inhibitor ship version doesn't have the ability to show aoe.

14. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's cool the fixing work, though I am working on a new system for research.

Anyway, for the brown, I removed one of the moon, to make it a bit less powerfull, but his position is not that perfect. First he is between dark green and Gray's zone of expansion and he can't colonize anything without fighting those 2 first (he is stuck in the corner). So anyway, Earth has now its moon, wich it had not. If you still find brown overpowered, tell me, I will try balancing it more.

I did not saw any attachment to your post, so I couldn't look at your idea. Are you sure you attached it? Or is it my firefox bugging?

Anywaym for the inhibitor ship, I will add it, but remembre that when it's active, no ship can enter or leave hyperspace, including yours. So it's not at all like the building.

15. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow I'm retarded, yea I forgot to attach it. Here it is.

I'll take a look at the map again. (I just noticed Browns because I found that base (there was no brown). I thought I'd found a hidden jackpot.

Crap add one line to that code:
    (Ability being cast) Equal to Warp Shielding

You would of course replace the "Warp Shielding" with the actual buff and ability you use

This would change the turn rate of the ships when they use the ability, and... damn

Put an else statement and have it turn their speed back down.

START a unit uses an ability
    IF the ability is Warp AND
    IF the unit is one of the chosen ships
    ELSE do nothing
    IF they now have the buff Warp
    change turn rate up
    ELSE change turn rate down

I hope that makes sense (I do programing, and I've just started doing War3 programing). I am 90% sure that you can do it.

Attached Files:

16. Sir.Laggalot

Sir.Laggalot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Now that getting better with triggers, and now that I know how to directly attach triggers, I'll give the turn speed trigger another try.
    Please let me know if this works out right (change any numbers to what they should be and the unit type to what it should be.
    Trigger

• Untitled Trigger 001
      • Events
        • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
      • Conditions
        • (Ability being cast) Equal to Warp
        • And - All (Conditions) are true
          • Conditions
            • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to The-ship-types-here
      • Actions
        • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
          • If - Conditions
            • ((Triggering unit) has buff Warp) Equal to True
          • Then - Actions
            • Animation - Change (Triggering unit) turn speed to 0.80
          • Else - Actions
            • Animation - Change (Triggering unit) turn speed to 0.40

You could put some if then statements in here and make one trigger for all the ship's turn speed increases if you wanted.

17. slith

slith

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The only trouble is that warp works on with the defend ability, and that defend doesn't seem to add buffs to the unit. Or at least, as far as I have tried.

I am working on a completly new version, with changed system for all but progress is slow. Still, if you find any bug, tell me so I can change them.

18. callex

callex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Great map! The technology tree is very deep leading to a great variety among the ships/technologies of each player. One thing I might suggest is a slight increase in planet size; some of the ships are actually larger than the planets hehe.
    Its a very fun game overall, I look forward to any new versions.

19. Colt556

Colt556

Resources:
    Resources:
    I dled it, cuz it sounded awsome, and so far it is. But one thing REALLY makes me not wanna play it. The command bar is pure black, except for icons and the minimap. Black on black does NOT work, so if you could throw a real texture on the command bar, this map would be perfect. Also, I only played as red, but on the right side of quests it kept repeating "Democracy bonuses" and the other democracy thing, over and over and over, cept at the very bottem where it went off on a tangent about holy things.