• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Basalt Basin 1.2

2v2 and Solo map for RTS League
Contents

Basalt Basin 1.2 (Map)

Reviews
VGsatomi: Approved. 4 player melee map with very few creeps. Ideal for rushes and quick player vs player. Some of the texture work is bit of an eyesore. 12:07, 24th June 2009, by Rui: Strange layout and errors on drops, yet with well chosen and...

M

VGsatomi: Approved. 4 player melee map with very few creeps. Ideal for rushes and quick player vs player. Some of the texture work is bit of an eyesore.

12:07, 24th June 2009, by Rui:
Strange layout and errors on drops, yet with well chosen and placed neutral buildings, and average texturing work. Remains Approved with 3/5 (Useful) rating.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review for "Basalt Basin" (melee map by TekPike, v1.2)

Interesting map from the texturing point of view. The author replaced (or added) a ground tile to represent rock. Even though it's clearly not rock, the texture worked out well. The majority of the texturing is alright, though it could be better, more diversified.
The layout is a little weird and confusing. The red creep camp nearer to one base than the other, two Taverns too close to each other...

Speaking of neutral buildings, I can mention already that there was a good neutral building choice and placement. Only a small detail: perhaps the positions of Goblin Merchants and Mercenary Camps should be exchanged? It'd be more appropriate for 1vs1.

Do I need to say the creeps are the usual failure? Yes, perhaps I do -- "Basalt Basin" is no exception to the rule.
I found it weird that a Gnoll, a Warden and a Brute dropped a lvl1 permanent while a Murloc Tiderunner, Huntsman and Nightcrawler dropped a lvl1 permanent. I understand the thing with the poison, but this latest creep camp is far weaker. The Giant Turtle could also be removed and replaced by a Sea Turtle. The lvl1 powerup doesn't leave me too convinced.
The other drops did not seem so bad, but you should also drop a powerup from larger creep camps.

Finally a map that does not have holes on the trees.
My rating for this map is a 3/5 (Useful). The drops weight a lot here.
Added to the Medieval/Warcraft category.