• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bandit Gilneas

I designed this icon for the Bandit Gilneas model.
model is made by Ujimasa Hojo.
link: Bandit, Spear Thrower, and Derivatives
enjoy and give credit to me if you use it.
Contents

Bandit Gilneas (Icon)

Reviews
The Panda
Overall, its a decent image and its well executed and is good enough to be approved, ive seen enough too know this is truely your work. Keep up the practice and youll push forward.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Always save WIP and psd files, i have a caparison of images below and it seems you just recolored the whole icon itself.

So not sure how this one will go with these here,
Icon tracing is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, applying outlines over existing artwork layers; applying existing artwork over the complete icon and using filter effects and layer settings to enhance the icon's details, light sources or shadows; and drawing/coloring over existing artwork and using filters and layer settings to change the appearance of the former to make it look drawn. It is not considered tracing if you draw by looking at reference images - drawing over them is tracing.

and

Edited icons from a Blizzard Entertainment universe must include the original icon in the description. If they are decent quality (e.g. strictly not a recolour), they can be approved with Blizzard Entertainment set as a co-author.

@KILLCIDE will have to decide here.

Attachments

• ewgfewfeewfewfe.PNG
    ewgfewfeewfewfe.PNG
    249 KB · Views: 313
Hm.. I don't want to sound rude, but this might just be a combination of smudge painting, dodge/burn and a little brush work (with the least chance). The enlarged pixelated Bandit icon can easily be cleared by the Smudge tool, to be presented as a large image. I did a quick example showing this:

bandit-gilneas-png.308339

If this is the case, I'm not sure what you guys or mods think, but this does not fulfill the required standards because of being only a recolor according to the current rules, imo.

@84chrome Have you painted this completely by using brushes, or just using the way I explained?

Edit: Well, if she even used brush work (freehand), this is still a traced work by the looks of the image. And vice versa, even if this passes by the tracing rule (perhaps because this is a Blizz icon, and not the artwork of someone else) or she has not traced this, this still does not meet the 8th rule (again because it's a just recolor with some minor improvements), unless it'd be approved because of usefulness.

Attachments

• Bandit Gilneas.png
    Bandit Gilneas.png
    380.3 KB · Views: 1,513
Last edited:
Level 15
Hm.. I don't want to sound rude, but this might just be a combination of smudge painting, dodge/burn and a little brush work (with the least chance). The enlarged pixelated Bandit icon can easily be cleared by the Smudge tool, to be presented as a large image. I did a quick example showing this:

bandit-gilneas-png.308339

If this is the case, I'm not sure what you guys or mods think, but this does not fulfill the required standards because of being only a recolor according to the current rules, imo.

@84chrome Have you painted this completely by using brushes, or just using the way I explained?

Edit: Well, if she even used brush work (freehand), this is still a traced work by the looks of the image. And vice versa, even if this passes by the tracing rule (perhaps because this is a Blizz icon, and not the artwork of someone else) or she has not traced this, this still does not meet the 8th rule (again because it's a just recolor with some minor improvements), unless it'd be approved because of usefulness.
I draw these icons with brush and did not use any filters and tools.
I just wanted my icon to look like an Blizz icon.
However, I'll redraw this icon but in a different version of the blizz version.

Last edited:
Level 11
Considering what it was designed for and how picky people are.

I think it’s fine as it is. The bandit was an edit of an original model and reworked by Ujimasa. But the portrait and everything looks exactly the same. Just the faction colours and representation shown through different colours of the portrait and design. Now before anyone says something smart. I am not saying the models are recolouring. They are a redesign to fix the bandit model and make another version for Gilneas. This icon being another version for Gilneas. Portrait no different really and neither should the icon be. Well done Ujimasa for introducing simple resources to us.

Now we can go on about the argument of rules, but sometimes I would let them go for models like these that these icons are made for. Because icons are just icons. That’s just me!

84chrome, paint or not. I get what you were aiming for. If you are good in colouring like this. I can’t wait to see you slowly grow and make your own icons using the colours as well.

Last edited:
Level 30
My new version, it's good or need more work.

*Bump,

Please fix the eyes so they arn't looking like there staring really hard at you, make them relaxed just like a normal set of eyes would like this.

Also where is his upper lip? I know that the grey part is the beard however a beard shouldn't cover the upper lip. I know from first hand i have a beard and it tastes awful, if you know what i mean.

Reactions: San

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Can you please not mirror each image like you did with these? Some areas are the same but just reversed, then you just added some more details on the other image. Start with one of them instead then work on the other. Please refrain from doing a mirror reversed image because its just the same all together..