• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ban .bmps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Why are .bmp images allowed on this site? it only provokes noobs to upload their 'lovely' terrains as six 1MB each .bmp files. Can't we just stick to .jpg, .gif and .png, all three offering efficient compression?

oh and not sure about firefox and internet explorer, but in opera, to see a .bmp attachment, I need to DOWNLOAD the image first. That's stupid -_-

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I dont care, it should only take 3 secs to load on my conection.

However that is server bandwith, so I recomend that maybe some kind of auto compress script. It would be demanding but would be better than hading all that server load caused by people viewing the images.

Anyway, jpg at 1% compression or less is near lossless and still 1/4 or less of the size.

Level 11
Kaitech[SanD];476898 said:
JPGs lose detail BIG TIME, if you need to post a picture of a skin, then you need all the colour...

JPEGs use a lossy compression. However, the ammount of detail lost depends on the ammount you compress it. A very lowly compressed JPEG is still very close to the origional, while being much smaller. Whereas you can also heavily compress a JPEG, making it look like complete crap, but be even smaller.

JPEG is by far the best format for posting screenshots and all such things. GIF and PNG are better then bitmaps, but not by the margin JPEG is. (Even at lower levels of compression.)

Level 15
As an additional note:

If JPEG at 100% is not good enough for you (your eyes are amazing if you can see the difference), then please use a 24-bit PNG. PNG is basically a bitmap of sorts that is compressed with zlib deflate compression. It will give you 100% quality, and a reduced size.

Level 34
What about TGA? It can't even be viewed on the site. I hate when people post them. Ban it so people have to post viewable pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.