• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Awkward Heroes Abilities for Campaign

Level 2
So I've discussed a few times on the Discord, but I want to make a more solidified thread here.

I prefer things to stay vanilla when possible, but many vanilla heroes have abilities which are either awkward or straight up useless to AI. So here is a list of unintrusive and lore accurate spell replacements to make these heroes feel more interesting to fight in campaign.

Archmage: Mass Teleport
Without the help of interesting triggers, the AI won't use Mass Teleport

1. Mass Recall: Instead of teleporting the Archmage to safety, instead teleports units from base to the Archmage. Might still require triggers but keeps the spirit of the spell.
2. Ring of Frost: Inspired by Jaina's Heroes of the Storm ability, AoE effect which deals instant damage and roots and chills everyone effected. Might be based from the Frost Nova spell.

Blademaster: Wind Walk
This is an invisibility spell. Since the AI is designed to attack a base until it dies, this spell becomes strange since the AI has no interest in self preservation. It does have a backstab, and it should be noted that triggers might help make the ability usable for that purpose, but I'm not sure if people would even notice.

1. Wind Walk (custom 1): Rekitted to allow the Blademaster to attack while invisible. This could make him very spooky and necessitate training Shades or other detectors to counter them.
2. Wind Walk (custom 2): Rekitted to focus on Backstab. Significantly increase "Backstab Damage" to have a more significant impact against the player with the help of triggers.
3. Haste: Remove the invisibility, but replace it with increased attack speed along with the increased movement.

Far Seer: Far Sight
The AI simply doesn't need to see the map. The spell is useless to them. Since the Tauren Chieftain isn't fought in the campaign, these are opportunities to include his abilities against the player.

1. Shockwave: Wouldn't feel off for the Far Seer and Thrall has a "Sundering" ability in Heroes of the Storm which is similar.
2. War Stomp: Also ported from the TC and could work with the Far Seer. I believe IM made the Wolf in Exodus of the Horde have this ability, so there's your explanation for who's stomping.
3. Endurance Aura: Since the Far Seer is a support unit, the Endurance Aura could be a reasonable buff for him. I think lorewise it wouldn't step on any toes.

Priestess of the Moon: Scout
Like Far Sight, Scout has no value to the AI

1. Scout (custom): The Owl is given an attack as a full summon, but loses its invulnerability. The invisibility could be kept, but based on a tier systems similar to Feral Spirits. So level 1 is fully visible, level 2 invisible when not attacking, and level 3 fully invisible. The attack damage and health can also scale with levels. The Feral Spirits ability would be a good reference when rekitting this spell. The benefit of this change is that it could apply to Tyrande too.
2. Light of Elune: A reskinned Holy Light spell. Could just be Holy Light, but if people want it to be more unique it could include mana replenishment as well in a trade for less health than Holy Light would give. So for example, 150 health and 75 mana compared to Holy Light's 200 health (at level 1).
3. Lunar Flare: An AoE attack which deals flat damage and stun. Based off of Tyrande's Heroes of the Storm ability. Could possibly be structured from the Flame Strike spell.

Ranger: Scout
Same problem as Priestess of the Moon, but her alternatives can't be too "nightelfy"

1. Scout (custom): Same as Priestess. Maybe not an owl, but could be replaced with a hawk. Regardless, functionally the same idea. Perhaps to distinguish it, it could summon two weaker Hawks as opposed to the Priestess' one Owl.
2. Shadowstrike: Ported directly from the Night Elf Warden, but inspired from "Shadow Dagger" which is an ability Sylvanas has in Heroes of the Storm. Helps make Rangers feel a little less like reskinned Priestesses (I don't mind Cold Arrows, Trueshot Aura, or Starfall). Could be renamed into "Arcane Dagger" if people don't think High Elves should be carrying shadow weapons.

Last edited: