• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AVP map needing testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
what up people, im looking for people to test my map, youll need at least three to test every species properly to make sure everything works, if something is buggy or glitchy or doesnt work they way you think it should drop me a line and ill fix it or make the necessary adjustments.

Since ive been told descriptions work the best ive taken a chance to throw one in for this, at the start of the map youll be selected with a buy unit, its up to you to choose what species you play as by the unit you purchase. from there id consider it to be a hunt em and kill em type game.
your alien species has no food cap and is based completly upon what your face hugger implants, it allows for massive armies but they can be killed easily with the superior fire power of the marines or the hard hitting punches and trigger based "mark of the hunt" ability

Your marine species starts out with only one structure, but can build bunkers to house marines. their main structure automatically generates gold depending on your upgrades. Each marine with the exception of melee units use ammo to compensate for their massive damage, long treks dont pay off as you can only call in units from your carrier which sets them down via periodic drops.

your predator species has your favorites that i based off an imagined hierarchy. hunter, stalkers, etc each one able to be immune to the alien face huggers as long as they carry a mask, their damage is much higher then the marines due to they are melee units.

any feedback in general is nice as well including how to shrink the file size without screwing up gameplay, where i need to add abilitys, where i need to add more balance, and where i need to do anything else. map maker comments are appreciated as well as any way you think something should be done, ittl be tested and discussed to make this a non bug map that is evenly played. this isnt the final result mind you as i still need to work out the custom techtrees for use by computer players to play this as a single player. dont know how im gonna do that so feedback

Edit: fixed more stuff that i cant even remember because it was ALOT....
the queens automatically lay eggs and theyre summoned units so theres a generic limit of how many you can pop out before they start dying and explode, an unintentional but awesome thing. added some units, changed the creeps up abit and deleted some creeps in the citys and fixed up a few alien abilitys

Attachments

• AVP grudge match.w3x
    3.5 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Level 3
well considering no one has downloaded the version i fixed or commented on it in the slightest :vw_sad: i think this maps a bust, oh well i can use all the stuff for a spiffy single-multi player RPG :vw_death:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I went to go check out your map and noticed a few things I could fix up, I ran out of time by the time I got down to the Basic Intel trigger. But a lot of the triggers above it have been made a bit faster, although I didn't do the best possible job it should help =P
I can tell you spent a lot of time on the map though.

DL Kink: http://www.mediafire.com/?vc3l5w6g5f2kvff

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
nice, looks like you replaced the conditions with variables through, can i ask why you didnt just use the existing conditions? i dont see how it cleaned it up so im asking for reference to my new map. keep in mind im being evicted in 4 days so i wont be able to check up on anything until i get a new place

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Well if I understand what you're asking then.... The less parentheses () <---(These things) that you see in an event the faster the trigger will work.

For example, lets say I have a trigger like this:

• test
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Dying unit)) Equal to Footman
    • Actions
      • Unit - Explode (Dying unit)
      • Game - Display to (Player group((Owner of (Dying unit)))) the text: (Your + ((Name of (Dying unit)) + has died.))
Every time the trigger says "(dying unit)" in parentheses it has to use up a bunch of resources to find out what unit just died. Even though the trigger already looked up the unit and knows that it died it will always look it up again.

When I set the unit to a variable and then change the trigger like so:

• test
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Dying unit)) Equal to Footman
    • Actions
      • Set UnitVariable = (Dying unit)
      • Unit - Explode UnitVariable
      • Game - Display to (Player group((Owner of UnitVariable))) the text: (Your + ((Name of UnitVariable) + has died.))
The unit is now set to the variable and all of the triggers have been changed to refrence the variable instead of having to look up the unit.

Basically instead of the trigger wasting a bunch of resources looking for the unit it just says "the unit assigned to this variable is what I'm going to use" and so it knows without wasting a bunch of resources that the unit assigned to the variable at the top of the trigger is the unit that it needs to use.

Sorry if this is a bit hard to understand. I learned this quite awhile ago =P

Level 3
yeaaah... no

sorry but i swapped em all back, alot of the triggers are set up that way because they rely on custom values of the units for spells and other triggers such as the chest burster the head up display weather your out of ammo or masks and the drop ship trigger itself, yours leaked alot and caused the game to wig out but i appriciate your input and the attempt to assist but im not going that route. ive also been tweaking the map in general fixing and adding things and even re-terraining the map itself so this one while still okay isnt even what im using anymore. but thanks anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.